• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could TFWs fleet replacement be a disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S-Bahn

The Valleys is getting a lot of investment compared to other parts of Wales and yet it complains about being left out,

The rest of Wales is getting new/refurbed trains with toilets.

Part of the Valley Lines are getting tram-trains without toilets, purely so Cardiff Bay get's 100m of on-street running and the Welsh Assembly can have a 'tram-train measuring contest' with the Scottish Parliament about who's trams stop closer to their building.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S-Bahn

I often change at Cheltenham as it can be quicker to get into Bristol and the comfort of a Voyager beats a small DMU. As for the majority of commuters? In Chepstow they get the 7XP to Bristol or drive, getting the train is just not really that viable for commuting when the bus is faster. From Caldicot (single T) you realistically have to drive if you want to commute to Bristol, especially now the tolls have been removed, removing the financial reasoning for taking the train. What is actually needed is the original Severn Bridge to be rebuilt (they're planning a road bridge in the area, not that hard to add rail) so that Southern Monmouthshire and Lydney can receive a direct service to Bristol, only then would commuting to Bristol become viable by train, especially considering how poorly located Temple Meads is for commuting (I used to do it and very quickly switched to the bus).

What's really needed is better connectivity to Severn Tunnel Junction (as the hub for the area), more parking, as well as more services stopping there.

For instance, when the M4/M48 junction was built they neglected to put in any new spur roads to the station (although they did put in a bridge and access road for the tool booths on the M4) , which could have enabled a faster connecting bus service to Chepstow using the M48, allowing Chepstow commuters more opportunities to catch the train to Bristol/Newport/Cardiff etc.

A junction on the M48 between Rogiet and Caldicot could also have been used by Chepstow (and east Newport/Gwent) motorists to reach STJ for trains to Bristol, reducing traffic over the Bridge and down the M4/M5/M32/A4.

I don't doubt if they increased the frequency of trains at Chepstow and Caldicot there would be more passengers commuting by train, although we don't know the number of commuters who can easily access those stations, so busses to STJ could probably have been successful.

Last edited:

Bob Price

I believe the Grand Central proposal enhances Seven Tunnel Junction significantly. I was amazed at how many people got on a National Express coach at Chepstow heading for London. TfW needed to do more but it seems private money may end up doing it.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Yes, and they are suggesting opening the access roads to the former toll plaza to enable a fast route to a bigger car park. (Somewhat surprisingly these roads have been retained and rebuilt as part of the demolition of the plaza.)

It seems a very sensible idea, as they are within a stone’s throw of the station. Although whether these roads meet normal standards for use by the public is debatable. Either way, I’m sure the relevant Highways authority will have an opinion.

Cambrian359

Having traveled on the 16.09 Birmingham international to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli yesterday I think TfW hopes that the improved half hourly West Midlands service would mean TfW wouldn’t need to improve capacity on this line might be somewhat dashed given the large numbers of local users still using TfW service between Birmingham and Shrewsbury .in fact I think tfw planned to reduce carriages when the new trains arrived to no more than 4on this route(where some run as 6 cars currently,or at least they did before the recent fleet shortages)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
So, when is the former east coast mainline stock going to show up - ready to be hauled by 67’s?

There is one set in Works for all the Mods to be carried out. It is being worked on at Eastleigh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.