• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could the Acton-Northolt Line be used in future to run services out of Paddington?

S-Bahn

Pardon me in advance for asking what is probably a well discussed topic, but given there are some capacity constraints at Marylebone, why isn't the Acton-Northolt (or New North Main Line) also utilised for services in and out of Paddington to the Chiltern Main Line?

I'm aware it's currently severed due to HS2 and there may be a link-up in the future, but it strikes me that it's a useful piece of infrastructure for Chiltern services - or does it add a massive amount of complexity to run anything in and out of Paddington?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JJmoogle

I don't think there's really any spare capacity at Paddington to have more services on a regular basis.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think there's really any spare capacity at Paddington to have more services on a regular basis.
Even if there was platform capacity in Paddington they wouldn’t want the crossing conflicts at the flat junction, that’s why they curtailed the GWR Greenford service to West Ealing. There was an idea to have trains from the Chiltern route terminating in additional dedicated platforms at Old Oak Common, (although that’s gone a bit quiet), but it did not include running any further into Paddington.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
You could Crossrail it. I remember seeing some drawings on London Reconnections of what a great separated junction could look like for Crossrails to reach the GW/GCR joint line. You can then, maybe, use the intermediate stations at Sudbury and Northolt Park on the GCR proper as some sort of, London Overground local interurban service to Neasden. Connections with a Dudden Hill Overground of course.

Benjwri

Established Member
You could Crossrail it. I remember seeing some drawings on London Reconnections of what a great separated junction could look like for Crossrails to reach the GW/GCR joint line. You can then, maybe, use the intermediate stations at Sudbury and Northolt Park on the GCR proper as some sort of, London Overground local interurban service to Neasden. Connections with a Dudden Hill Overground of course.
Would be a huge expense though, as doing such would require platform lengthening, a massive redesign of the Old Oak Common, with further disruption, to realistically send 2tph (4 at a push) to XR. Obviously there is also not even the remote possibility of a business case unless the Chiltern Mainline was being wired in its own right.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Would be a huge expense though, as doing such would require platform lengthening, a massive redesign of the Old Oak Common, with further disruption, to realistically send 2tph (4 at a push) to XR. Obviously there is also not even the remote possibility of a business case unless the Chiltern Mainline was being wired in its own right.

This is all a bit speculative, but you could have a few more trains that terminate at Paddington/future OOC (due to GWML capacity) continue towards Greenford / Ruislip to send a “metro” service on the Chiltern Main Line. As you say though, capacity isn’t exactly underused there either nor is it electrified or platforms long enough so this would be a huge undertaking.

Chiltern main line services on diversion might be OK for the occasional weekend service (like how C2C divert to Liverpool Street) but again, wouldn’t be many trains so would all the expense be worthwhile? Doubtful.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
It wouldn't be to Neasden if you were going to go to the bother of connecting to XR, you'd run via stops at a new Park Royal Interchange), Greenford, South Ruislip and then every existing Chiltern ML stops to High Wycombe.
You'd probably need to reinstate 4 track from South Ruislip to High Wycombe, and you'd run 4tph, but that would mean all Chiltern Railways services could run fast to at least Gerrards Cross.

However, it would be cheaper to extend 4th rail from Amersham to AVP and transfer services across to LU, to deliver increased capacity at Marylebone for Chiltern Main Line passengers.