• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could the Piccadilly line make additional calls during District line Engineering Works 26th-29th October?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
There is no District line service to Richmond, Ealing Broadway and Olympia due to drain works in the single ball tunnel near Earl's Court.

Could the Piccadilly line stop at Ravenscourt Park, Stamford Brook (westbound only) and Turnham Green or at least just stop at Turnham Green between these dates?

Replacement buses just cause congestion on the Chiswick High Road.

It would make our journeys a lot easier if the Piccadilly line stopped so what is the excuse (you've done it before why can't you do it again)?.

Is it to do with reduced line speed between Hammersmith and Acton Town? I have seen them at Stamford Brook during previous closures and they have gone straight through at normal line speed.

I understand the London Overground closure to Richmond on 29th October will require replacement buses but why not just run them from Turnham Green to Richmond to take traffic pressure of Kings Street?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eldomtom2

On Moderation
IIRC there are no eastbound crossovers from the District to the Piccadilly after Acton Town.

Mr. SW

Memory of travelling into London in 1991 on the Picc when there was that terrible snow storm (The wrong kind of snow etc...). The train stopped at all all the intermediate stops and the doors opened. The train made a lovely succession of bangs, pops and flashes in the meantime. I managed to get in to the training course but so many people couldn't make it, the few of us who actually did were sent home. Less popping and sparks that time as the rails had been de-iced and we didn't stop either.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
IIRC there are no eastbound crossovers from the District to the Piccadilly after Acton Town.

Although the Picc-District connections are being / have been cut because of the new signalling and train control system on the District (meaning the systems are incompatible), the Piccadilly does have platforms on its own tracks at some of the 4 District stations between Hammersmith and Acton Town (3 in one direction and 2 in the other direction, I think) - so there seems no reason in principle why the Picc couldn't serve at least those stations anyway.

PS - what's a "single ball tunnel"...?

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Although the Picc-District connections are being / have been cut because of the new signalling and train control system on the District (meaning the systems are incompatible), the Piccadilly does have platforms on its own tracks at some of the 4 District stations between Hammersmith and Acton Town (3 in one direction and 2 in the other direction, I think) - so there seems no reason in principle why the Picc couldn't serve at least those stations anyway.

PS - what's a "single ball tunnel"...?
I meant single bore tunnel the one that's really noisy west of Earl's Court.

devon_belle

Would only being able to stop at Stamford Brook in one direction cause problems with an imbalance in the timetable? Not my area of expertise.

There may also be a factor of safety, as having one line cover for another could lead to overcrowding?

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Would only being able to stop at Stamford Brook in one direction cause problems with an imbalance in the timetable? Not my area of expertise.

There may also be a factor of safety, as having one line cover for another could lead to overcrowding?
They've done it before during previous closures when only 1 pair of tracks is in use!

Status
Not open for further replies.