• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could we see a "Head Out to Help Out" scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al78

Established Member
I might consider visiting family by train over Christmas if it won't cost three figures to get there and back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

Sounds good provided this does not encourage virus spread across the country at what is acknowledged to be the most risky time of year for colds, flu and, sadly, Covid. How to better fill trains safely?

Alex C.

Also confusing given the peak services are currently (at least in the South East) generally quieter than off peak services at the moment

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Depends on how long it lasts. January is not the time to attract passengers.
January is a time when the railway usually has offers to entice travel but saying now where things will be then is another matter. £1 is just too cheap if you ask me. People have either made their decision to travel or not - it isn't a matter of the fare.

Class 170101

Established Member
According to the Telegraph the government is mulling a January fares reduction program to lure people back onto the railways. Peak fares will rise with inflation as normal but there will be a blanket 20% cut in off peak fares and some fares will be temporarily reduced to £1.

Seems to me just about the wrong time to be trying to get trains packed again.

Would be interesting to see what the whole article says not just the free snippet. However frankly I don't think it would be wise to get people back in January. I doubt the goverment has any idea where Coronavirus is heading but one would expect it to be upwards as a general trend until the Spring or a vaccine appears.

thenorthern

Established Member
Realistically though it would be better to cut peak time fares to get workers back onto the trains?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Realistically though it would be better to cut peak time fares to get workers back onto the trains?
Yes, although you do need their offices to be open to give them reason to travel. It isn't just about the availability of transport.

'Try the train' days to encourage people out of cars might be better.

theironroad

Established Member

Most workers in offices will go back to work in city centres, regardless of fare, when their employers tell them they have to return to the office.

Andyh82

Established Member
I’d be worried about this, restaurants can limit numbers and ensure social distancing, but rail companies can’t.

All it will take is a few clips of packed trains going viral, and the rail industry will be in a worse place than before.

Being a government policy, the unions etc will be against it and won’t support it either

Jozhua

Established Member
They could start by not discouraging people from using them.
From what I can tell, trains are already filling up quite nicely, at least up in the Midlands/North, encouraging more passengers on could cause concern in regards to not being able to get on because the train is full.

I've also noticed TOCs have suspended advance fares, or they are significantly more limited than before corona. So, I'm spending more for my long distance journeys.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
All it will take is a few clips of packed trains going viral, and the rail industry will be in a worse place than before.

Or some might see it as "look, lots of others are travelling, no reason for me not to, I guess".

crablab

I've also noticed TOCs have suspended advance fares, or they are significantly more limited than before corona. So, I'm spending more for my long distance journeys.
In the case of LNER, Advance fares are pretty much the only option (since you have to get a reservation, then the advantage of an open ticket disappears fairly rapidly - good luck getting a reservation on the day!)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
They could also start by stopping authoritarian guards and staff enforcing their own mask agendas above and beyond the legislation. No wonder some people feel discouraged to travel by train, I‘ve had a guard who watches CCTV and confront non-wearers, Two guards from the same TOC telling people off for eating/drinking (one of whom shouted at an elderly lady), and a guard telling someone off for not having an exemption certificate.

Masks are uncomfortable and when staff try to be authoritarian over them it really puts me (a rail enthusiast) off travelling by rail, goodness knows what the general public must think.

Moderator note: please continue the discussion of face coverings at

Last edited by a moderator:

westv

Established Member
Didn't forum members come up with the idea of Head Out to Help Out weeks ago?

Deepgreen

Established Member
It will entirely depend on the state of the country by then of course, but, if we assume the virus is still prominent with no vaccine, I don't see people leaving their 'safe' cars (with no need for masks) for trains (with a need for masks) in mid-winter, unless the train becomes very significantly cheaper than the car, which, if two or more people are involved, is unlikely for many journeys, even at a 20% lower fare. The situation is changing so quickly that I really can't even stab at where we may be by then. An evening-out of the peak/off-peak load would be good in general, but will we ever see the traditional 'high' peak again?

Undiscovered

I don't think now is the time to be promoting mass transit on the cheap when we're looking at a second lockdown, in all but name. If people can't abide by the rules now, they certainly won't on a jolly out somewhere nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.