• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Councils that should be renamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I feel like "Taunton & West Somerset" sounds better than the actual name of the new council. Not sure why...

I've previously mentioned my disdain for the name of my own local council, Kirklees. Not least because it's geographically meaningless. Nobody uses the term unless talking about the council. The source for the name, Kirklees Hall, isn't even entirely inside the boundary of the council.

That said, I'm not sure what name would work unless you carved it up, with two separate councils for Huddersfield/Colne Valley/Holme Valley and the Dewsbury/Batley/ Heckmondwike/Cleckheaton area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Haringey is the old name for the locality, first recorded in 1201, and was reintroduced in 1963. Harringay was given to a house built in 1790 and later used by local government.

Source: A Concise Dictionary of Modern Place-Names in Great Britain and Ireland [not a concise title], Room, Oxford, 1985.
I know. Hornsey is a corruption from the same origin. But resurrecting an Anglo-Saxon spelling was a stupid thing to do. I think they should have called the borough Alexandra - the palace and park are the only things in the area that are nationally known and feel equally owned by all residents of the borough (unlike Tottenham Hotspur)

Basil Jet

On Moderation
I would abolish the current Adur District Council entirely. I would transfer Shoreham (everything on the East side of the River Adur) to Brighton & Hove City Council. I would transfer Lancing (everything on the West side of the River Adur) to Worthing Borough Council.
I think everything from Brighton to Littlehampton should be a single council called Beachy City. If Romford and Uxbridge can be part of the same city, I don't see why Brighton and Littlehampton can't.

mikeg

Established Member
The village of Hambleton lies quite a bit outwith Hambelton District, though I believe it's the hills that count, not sure they're all in the district either. Either way it's being abolished next year.

Then there's the city councils that take on far beyond the city, eg. York City Council takes in various villages*. On the flip side, Nottingham City Council may be technically accurate but feels more like Nottingham City Centre Council.

*Does anyone know where the royal charter for the City of York covers? Is it indeed the entire unitary authority or is there a York City proper?

Last edited:

THC

Does anyone know where the royal charter for the City of York covers? Is it indeed the entire unitary authority or is there a York City proper?

City status in England generally applies to the whole local authority area, although there are naturally several examples of cities whose boundaries are instead a subset of the local authority in which they are located. These include Chichester, Durham, Hereford, Ripon and Wells. My reading of the various reorganisations to the City of York local authority boundary over the years suggest that city status applies to the whole area, although I am happy to be corrected.

THC

Magdalia

Established Member
I cited above the decade from 1965 on as that is when the GLC and the London boroughs came into being, which in effect was the start of the process of consolidation and restructuring in English local government that culminated in 1974.
You're right that the GLC and the London Boroughs were 1965, but the comprehensive and consistent structure only came in 1974. That was the culmination of a process, the most significant part of which was the Royal Commission appointed in 1966 and reporting in 1969, usually known as the Redcliffe-Maud Report.
Not quite, as pretty much all restructuring of local government since 1974 has seen the replacement of two-tier structures by unitary authorities. So the approach to restructuring in itself, while not complete is at least consistent; what is not is the scale of these new unitary authorities, which has increased somewhat over the last 30 years.
Well yes and no. I worked in this area and a while ago and I knew this stuff like the back of my hand, but now I find it difficult to keep up! The piecemeal creation of unitary authorities in once two tier areas is a trend moving in one direction but it is messy for police and fire authorities, which match the old upper tier authorities. Now we also have mayoralities, which in places have introduced another new tier, and here in the Fens we have the Greater Cambridge Partnership too.

THC

I knew this stuff like the back of my hand, but now I find it difficult to keep up! The piecemeal creation of unitary authorities in once two tier areas is a trend moving in one direction but it is messy for police and fire authorities, which match the old upper tier authorities. Now we also have mayoralities, which in places have introduced another new tier, and here in the Fens we have the Greater Cambridge Partnership too.
Me too and I'm head of policy in a fairly large local authority! The mayoralities you mention are the combined authorities I refer to; the government's latest wheeze is to roll them out at a county level, although as you allude to their application and the powers each will have will not be universal.

THC

DerekC

Established Member
Scraping the bottom of the festive barrel here and inspired by the stations that should be renamed thread, which local authorities would work better with a name change?

Dacorum - sounds pretentious, make it Hemel Hempstead
The good citizens of Berkhamsted and Tring wouldn't like that at all. They were cross enough to be lumped in with Hemel in local government terms and feel they are treated as a sort of appendage. Changing the name would rub salt in the wound!

Those are the South Downs that reach all the way from Beachy Head to Winchester? o_O

That is true. But as Chichester District Council is located pretty much exactly in the middle and covers a larger amount of the South Downs compared to other districts i think South Downs District Council would be a good name. The same thing could be said about some other councils. Wealdean District Council only covers about one quarter of the Wealdean area (the High Weald AONB which is what it is named after) but yet they have still choose the name Wealden for it and i think Wealden is a good suitable name.
Here's a map of the South Downs National Park, which as @swt_passenger says, extends all the way from Beachy Head to Winchester. Chichester is sort of in the middle but outside the Park, although part of the District Council area will be inside it. The overlapping responsibilities of local authorities and the SDNPA take a bit of getting your head around anyway, without having one which has the same name but covers an area in the middle, partly in and partly out of the Park!

1671871398227.png

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Established Member
The piecemeal creation of unitary authorities in once two tier areas is a trend moving in one direction but it is messy for police and fire authorities, which match the old upper tier authorities. Now we also have mayoralities, which in places have introduced another new tier, and here in the Fens we have the Greater Cambridge Partnership too.

For me, English governance is an absolute mess. I far prefer the Polish/German approach, where there are several layers of authorities that each take responsibility within that area. For example:

I live in a village, so we have an elected village mayor and an elected village council. The village mayor has de facto responsibility for the village hall and a few other things owned by the village, like the football pitch and playgrounds. The village council controls the budget for the village, which isn't very high, but it includes things like considering applications for discounts on using the village hall.

The village is part of a larger municipality made up of (I think...) 15 villages, and the municipality is where things like planning permission and 'citizen matters' are dealt with. The municipality owns schools, most roads, the municipal water company, etc. There's an elected mayor and elected council, so the mayor acts as an executive leader and the council as a parliament. The council deals with a lot of issues that are delegated by the central government, such as issuing ID cards and registering births/deaths/marriages.

Then we have the district council, but the head of the district council is appointed by the elected councillors rather than being elected directly. It's a weakness of the system, but it does result in the situation that independent kingmaker councillors tend to hold the position as a price of their support. The district usually handles issues like driving licences and car registrations, as cars are registered to the district of residence. Formerly, it used to be that every district also took responsibility for issuing passports, but this was changed at some point in the past.

Next, there's the provincial parliament, which handles things like EU funds and other 'big' things that are too big for the municipal or district councils to deal with.

It is a multi-layered bureaucracy, but each level is clearly defined and you always know who is responsible for what. I need to register a car? District council. I need a new ID card? Local council. And so on.

The issue in PL is that devolution wasn't completed to a satisfactory level, so each province has a provincial governor appointed by central government, who can (and often will) overrule provincial, district and municipal councils on things for petty political reasons. This then causes court cases in the administrative courts, where they decide if the veto of the governor was legal or not.

However, on the whole, it seems much more sensible than the mess of the English system.

nw1

Established Member
Additionally i would also rename Chichester District Council to South Downs District Council. Chichester District Council also covers a huge area including many towns and villages almost an hour away from Chichester so again it is better to give it a geographical name. Also it would prevent confusion with Chichester City Council which is a parish council. The current council area is in the heart of the South Downs and most of the district is within the South Downs so i think South Downs District Council is a good name.
Perhaps, though Chichester is the obvious centre for this area and the place where most people would go to for shopping, etc. Admittedly the far north of the council area, north of Midhurst, might gravitate towards Guildford instead.

The problem with South Downs District Council is that it only contains a segment of the South Downs, remember the South Downs continue a long way east of there, all the way to Eastbourne.

(Sorry, I see others have said something similar).

Magdalia

Established Member
I live in a village, so we have an elected village mayor and an elected village council. The village mayor has de facto responsibility for the village hall and a few other things owned by the village, like the football pitch and playgrounds. The village council controls the budget for the village, which isn't very high, but it includes things like considering applications for discounts on using the village hall.
Rural England also has parish and town councils. But until recently most urban areas did not have equivalents. Unitary status is changing that, and the largest town council by population is now Northampton, established very recently, when the two tier structure in Northamptonshire was abolished and replaced by two unitary authorities.

Me too and I'm head of policy in a fairly large local authority!
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

WizCastro197

Established Member
I think everything from Brighton to Littlehampton should be a single council called Beachy City. If Romford and Uxbridge can be part of the same city, I don't see why Brighton and Littlehampton can't.
Littlehampton-Brighton isn't a city at all, Romford and Uxbridge are in London so are the same city but that doesn't mean Littlehampton and Brighton should. Cities and Councils boundaries and authorities are different which is where you are confusing this slightly, Romford and Uxbridge don't have the same council but are the same city which is irrelevant to this thread. Littlehampton to Brighton is nor a city nor a council so there is no means for it to be put into one council either. Brighton & Hove is already one city so is rightfully entitled to its own council. Beachy City sounds awfully informal and says nothing about the local area it includes except it is "Beachy"?

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
My candidate here is to rename a council that hasn't yet come into being....

The new Unitary Authority covering the current North Yorkshire County Council, is to be called North Yorkshire Council.

Once this is done a new Mayoral Combined Authority is also to be added, name currently unknown.

Said Mayor is to have the responsibilities of the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner.

North Yorkshire Police and North Yorkshire Fire Brigade not only cover the North Yorkshire County Council/North Yorkshire Council area, but also the City of York Council area, which is to persist alongside the new North Yorkshire Council as the other member of the MCA.

So all in all, this has got confusion written all over it. "Is that a 'North Yorkshire' arrangement or a 'North Yorkshire' arrangement?"

All this could have been avoided by calling the new Unitary Authority "North Riding of Yorkshire Council"...

urbophile

Established Member
Knobody knows where Knowsley is! But its should not so much be renamed as abolished. It is effectively part of Liverpool and if Liverpool were not almost as dysfunctional a council as Knowsley it would make sense for them to be combined.Or perhaps split Liverpool into two and include Bootle and Crosby and the northern half of Knowsley in one part and the rest of Knowsley in the other.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You are mistaken in your understanding of what differentiates boroughs from districts. Borough status, in a similar vein to city status, is granted by royal charter to local government districts in England and Wales (s245 Local Government Act 1972). The status is purely honorary, and does not give any additional powers to the council or residents of the district. It has nothing to do with relative population density.
Likewise, in Scotland we had Burghs and Royal Burghs.

Valuation rolls between 1855 and 1975 were divided into counties and burghs.

The historic boundaries of Scottish counties were rationalised in 1889, to deal with problems such as parishes being split between two counties and counties having detached portions. The most significant change was the creation of a unified county of Ross and Cromarty from the previous counties of Ross-shire and Cromartyshire.

A burgh in simple terms was a town possessing special privileges conferred by charter (a royal charter in the case of royal burghs) and having a town council to run its affairs.

There were many different types of burghs including royal burghs, burghs of barony and regality, parliamentary burghs and police burghs. In 1929 all burghs were classified as small burghs, large burghs or cities for local government purposes. The four cities for local government purposes were Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Royal burghs originally had their own assessors and produced their own valuation rolls, whereas other burghs were included in respective county valuation rolls. From 1930 until 1974 only cities and large burghs had assessors and were allowed to produce their own valuation rolls. All other burghs were included in the respective county valuation rolls.

Most burghs therefore did not produce separate valuation rolls each year and appear within the valuation rolls for their respective counties, usually under one or more parishes. For example Airdrie burgh was included in the Lanarkshire county roll as part of New Monkland parish, until it became a large burgh in 1930 and thereafter it produced a separate valuation roll. The results for a search confined to New Monkland parish show entries for the burgh.

To take another example, Rutherglen burgh was within Rutherglen parish but, since it was a royal burgh, the burgh had its own assessor. The burgh assessor produced a roll for the burgh and the remainder of Rutherglen parish outside the burgh (the 'landward' part of the parish) was recorded in the Lanarkshire County valuation roll.

88 burghs made separate valuation rolls at one time or another:

VR1 - Airdrie Burgh (1855-1957)
VR2 - Annan Burgh (1855-1930)
VR3 - Anstruther Easter Burgh (1855-1930)
VR4 - Anstruther Wester Burgh (1855-1930)
VR5 - Arbroath Burgh (1857-1957)
VR6 - Auchtermuchty Burgh (1855-1930)
VR7 - Ayr Burgh (1855-1957)
VR8 - Banff Burgh (1855-1930)
VR9 - Bervie Burgh (1855-1930)
VR10 - Brechin Burgh (1855-1930)
VR11 - Burntisland Burgh (1855-1930)
VR12 - Campbeltown Burgh (1855-1930)
VR13 - Clydebank Burgh (1930-1957)
VR14 - Coatbridge Burgh (1886-1957)
VR15 - Crail Burgh (1856-1930)
VR16 - Cromarty Burgh (1855-1930)
VR18 - Cullen Burgh (1855-1930)
VR19 - Culross Burgh (1855-1930)
VR20 - Cupar Burgh (1855-1930)
VR21 - Dingwall Burgh (1855-1930)
VR22 - Dornoch Burgh (1855-1930)
VR23 - Dumbarton Burgh (1855-1957)
VR24 - Dumfries Burgh (1855-1957)
VR25 - Dunbar Burgh (1855-1930)
VR26 - Dunfermline Burgh (1855-1957)
VR27 - Dysart Burgh (1855-1930)
VR28 - Earlsferry Burgh (1855-1930)
VR29 - Elgin Burgh (1855-1930)
VR30 - Falkirk Burgh (1855-1957)
VR31 - Falkland Burgh (1855-1930)
VR32 - Forfar Burgh (1855-1930)
VR33 - Forres Burgh (1855-1930)
VR34 - Fortrose Burgh (1855-1930)
VR35 - Galashiels Burgh (1869-1930)
VR36 - Greenock Burgh (1855-1957)
VR37 - Haddington Burgh (1855-1930)
VR38 - Hamilton Burgh (1855-1957)
VR39 - Hawick Burgh (1868-1930)
VR40 - Inverary Burgh (1855-1930)
VR41 - Inverkeithing Burgh (1855-1930)
VR42 - Inverness Burgh (1855-1957)
VR43 - Inverurie Burgh (1855-1930)
VR44 - Irvine Burgh (1855-1940)
VR45 - Jedburgh Burgh (1855-1930)
VR46 - Kilmarnock Burgh (1855-1957)
VR47 - Kilrenny Burgh (1855-1930)
VR48 - Kinghorn Burgh (1855-1930)
VR49 - Kintore Burgh (1855-1930)
VR50 - Kirkcaldy Burgh (1855-1957)
VR51 - Kirkcudbright Burgh (1855-1930)
VR52 - Kirkwall Burgh (1855-1930)
VR53 - Lanark Burgh (1855-1930)
VR54 - Lauder Burgh (1855-1930)
VR55 - Leith Burgh (1855-1921)
VR56 - Linlithgow Burgh (1855-1956)
VR57 - Lochmaben Burgh (1855-1930)
VR58 - Montrose Burgh (1855-1930)
VR59 - Motherwell Burgh (1930-1957)
VR60 - Musselburgh Burgh (1855-1930)
VR61 - Nairn Burgh (1855-1930)
VR62 - Newburgh Burgh (1855-1930)
VR63 - New Galloway Burgh (1855-1930)
VR64 - North Berwick (1855-1930)
VR65 - Oban Burgh (1855-1930)
VR66 - Paisley Burgh (1855-1957)
VR67 - Peebles Burgh (1855-1967)
VR68 - Perth Burgh (1855-1957)
VR69 - Peterhead Burgh (1855-1930)
VR70 - Pittenweem Burgh (1855-1930)
VR71 - Port Glasgow Burgh (1855-1956)
VR72 - Portobello Burgh (1855-1896)
VR73 - Queensferry (South) Burgh (1855-1930)
VR74 - Renfrew Burgh (1855-1930)
VR75 - Rothesay Burgh (1855-1930)
VR76 - Rutherglen Burgh (1855-1957)
VR77 - St Andrews Burgh (1855-1930)
VR78 - Sanquhar Burgh (1855-1930)
VR79 - Selkirk Burgh (1855-1930)
VR80 - Stirling Burgh (1855-1957)
VR81 - Stranraer Burgh (1855-1930)
VR82 - Tain Burgh (1855-1930)
VR83 - Whithorn Burgh (1855-1930)
VR84 - Wick Burgh (1855-1930)
VR85 - Wigtown Burgh (1855-1930)
VR86 - Aberdeen Burgh, later Aberdeen City (1855-1975)
VR98 - Dundee Burgh, later Dundee City (1855-1975)
VR100 - Edinburgh Burgh, later Edinburgh City (1855-1975)
VR102 - Glasgow Burgh, later Glasgow City (1855-1975)

Burghs and counties were abolished for local government purposes in 1975 (although counties continued to have an existence for other legal purposes, such as land registration after 1975). Between 1975 and 1995 valuation rolls were produced by regional assessors and subdivided into districts. After another round of local government reorganisation in 1995, valuation rolls were produced by the newly-created unitary authorities.
I recall this being brought up on the forum a few years ago, but I'm fairly certain that I can remember seeing signs that proclaimed "City and Royal Burgh of Elgin", long after it was neither a city, nor a Royal Burgh!

Waverley Borough Council is in Surrey... not Edinburgh...
Indeed. If such a thing existed in Edinburgh, it would be "Waverly Burgh Council"! :)

8A Rail

Established Member
Knobody knows where Knowsley is! But its should not so much be renamed as abolished. It is effectively part of Liverpool and if Liverpool were not almost as dysfunctional a council as Knowsley it would make sense for them to be combined.Or perhaps split Liverpool into two and include Bootle and Crosby and the northern half of Knowsley in one part and the rest of Knowsley in the other.

But you do though! :lol: For those who are not aware, it is a small village located at the edge of Lord Derby's Estate / Safari Park near to the M57 between Prescot and Kirkby. However, one think I would agree though, get rid of the Labour councillors as they are not interested in the people they suppose to serve!

busestrains

On Moderation
Another one i would do is merge East Sussex County Council and West Sussex County Council together and rename it to Sussex County Council instead. Both of these councils are already run by the same management and have the same chief executive (Becky Shaw) so we might as well merge them together and save money.

adc82140

Established Member
The structure is an utter mess really. An example where I live:

Problem with the grass verge- Town Council
Problem with the pavement- District Council
Problem with the road- County Council
Problem with the bypass road- Highways England.

No wonder nothing gets done.

But back on topic, our neighbouring authority was renamed last year as it became Unitary. BCP. It stands for Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, But unless you live there you wouldn't know. I think PooBourneChrist would have been better.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
But back on topic, our neighbouring authority was renamed last year as it became Unitary. BCP. It stands for Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, But unless you live there you wouldn't know. I think PooBourneChrist would have been better.
Sandbank City

WizCastro197

Established Member
Sandbank City
Why? Sandbanks is a very minor area in Poole therefore doesn't represent the area as a whole and more importantly, the BCP conurbation isn't a city. BCP works fine, as long as they advertise the full length name more for those who may be puzzled by the acronym.

Gloster

Established Member
The structure is an utter mess really. An example where I live:

Problem with the grass verge- Town Council
Problem with the pavement- District Council
Problem with the road- County Council
Problem with the bypass road- Highways England.

No wonder nothing gets done.

Costa Geriatrica West.

Gloster

Established Member
Sorry if I sound thick, but what does this mean? :)

Costa Geriatrica has been used for quite a few years to describe those parts of the coast, particularly the South Coast, to which the elderly retire. Costa Geriatrica East would be Eastbourne, and Central would be Worthing and Goring-by-Sea. (It was a joke and normally a joke is best left unexplained.)

Magdalia

Established Member
Central would be Worthing
This is a bit of a 20th century cliche.

The Brighton and Hove effect is spreading along the coast and the proportion of Worthing's population that's over 65 has declined considerably.

There's more detail in this BBC article:

A coastal town popular with retirees has voted Conservative for decades but an influx of urbanites has unsettled the status quo. The BBC visited the town to meet some of the newcomers responsible.

ian1944

Erm no - definitely not

Southport
has almost double the population of Bootle, making it by far the largest settlement (100k vs 50k and of course the beaches have none) but the boundaries just need to be completely redrawn around here as the situation around “Sefton” is and always has been totally unworkable.
Mention of Sefton council reminds me of the scurrilous couplet about the Marie Curie Field of Hope in the eponymous park in Liverpool, best spoken in a stage scouse accent: "Ten million daffs in Seffy Park, Someone nicked em after dark".

gg1

Established Member
Sandwell should definitely be renamed. The problem is to what as there is no clearly dominant settlement in that borough. The only alternative name I can really think of is East Black Country, which does not sound great either.
Not sure if there's any truth in it or if it's just a local urban myth, but I have heard it said that the name Bromley was considered in the 70s from an amalgamation of the names of the two main constituents of the area, West Bromwich and Warley, but was discounted because of the potential for confusion with Bromley in Kent.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Is there any local appetite to put Coventry back into Warwickshire? Neither Warwickshire nor West Midlands make any sense to me on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.