• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Couple of questons regarding Virgin Pendolino-run services in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
Pendolinos are my favourite modern-day trains. My day feels incomplete without seeing at least one. So, at Glasgow Central, when one arrives, I like to check it's destination (usually Euston, except Monday where both Penny the Pendolino and Virgin Lionheart were terminating at Lancaster for whatever reason) and I can't help but wonder...

Have they just stopped calling at Motherwell?

I mean, they used to. The old HSTs used to, the Voyagers do, the Pendolinos definitely did before, but I've not seen one that would call there in ages unless Central is closed due to Engineering works like early this year (or late last year, whichever) in which case all trains on the WCML to Glasgow would terminate there.

Another thing is, do they go to Edinburgh? Either from the Glasgow end or the London end? I've been in the capital twice in he past year and only seen a Voyager (although that may have been CrossCountry. I can't be sure).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The Pendos did used to come to Waverley, but they no longer do in the new TT.
I've only ever seen 2 there, but Virgin trains in general seem to be getting pretty rare in Waverley; I've only seen one so far this year.

stut

Established Member
Yes, they've stopped calling at Motherwell and the likes of Watford Junction, in the name of shaving a few minutes off the journey times to/from London (which is, apparently, the only place anybody ever travels to).

People in Lanarkshire and the Home Counties can just find another way to travel. They probably bought cheap tickets anyway.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I like to check it's destination (usually Euston, except Monday where both Penny the Pendolino and Virgin Lionheart were terminating at Lancaster for whatever reason) and I can't help but wonder...

May day Holidays, some lines were closed on Monday for never ending maintenance,

me123

Established Member
For Motherwell, there should be two trains a day calling Northbound (both in the Evening), both Pendolinos from Euston. There's also three SB services in the morning; two Pendos to London and a Voyager to Birmingham, and further evening Pendo to Euston. An irregular service. They're shaving a few minutes off the journey time, although not that many passengers use Motherwell.

The main problem I have with this is that you're not permitted to double-back Motherwell-Glasgow. In practice, I think you'd get away with it. But all journey options are showing travel via Edinburgh. It means that passengers from Motherwell are not permitted to travel down the WCML to London Euston for most journeys, despite the fact that it passes right through the station! I think it's more of an oversight, though, than anything else.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I guess as Motherwell is "pick up only" on southbound journeys from Glasgow, they wouldn't show it as a potential destination (similarly I'm sure the boards at Motherwell wouldn't show northbound trains for Glasgow - which are "set down only).

me123

Established Member
The trains show Motherwell as a destination usually, but the boards don't. There's not usually a ticket check before Motherwell so you'd probably get away with it, but the staff may not let you through the barriers at Motherwell.

Bittern

Established Member
I guess as Motherwell is "pick up only" on southbound journeys from Glasgow, they wouldn't show it as a potential destination (similarly I'm sure the boards at Motherwell wouldn't show northbound trains for Glasgow - which are "set down only).

I once boarded a NXEC 225 at Motherwell headed for Glasgow. A Staff member even told me this was the train I wanted. So I doubt they are "set down only".

me123

Established Member
NXEC convey passengers Glasgow-Motherwell now; it's normally on the deaprture boards as doing so at both stations. I believe that the 1750 in particular relieves the crowded Scotrail services. In the past, however, this was not the case. GNER would only carry passengers on the 1750/1800 Glasgow-Motherwell train, and the departure boards at stations never mentioned that trains call at Motherwell.

XC also convey passengers on the 0900 to Penzance (not sure if it does on the return).

Virgin do carry passengers on some services, partularly early morning ones. But for the most part, Virgin will not convey passengers Glasgow-Motherwell, particularly on their Euston services, often marked as "uplift only". So check the timetables before you travel.

MCR247

Established Member
VT do run a 2 hourly service into waverley from birmingham using 221s 90019

me123

Established Member
I think you mean 8 and 9 Pumbaa. It's often used, but not exclusively. I've seen them on the Scotrail West End Bays sometimes [12-18], and definitely not uncommon on platforms 7 and 11.

Bittern

Established Member
Speaking of Waverley, what platforms do the National Express East Coast trains to/from Inverness and Aberdeen use? Also, what platform(s) does the Caledonian Sleeper use? And Waverley is where the sleeper splits into the lowland and highland sleepers, aint it?

Speaking of Waverley, what platforms do the National Express East Coast trains to/from Inverness and Aberdeen use?
NXEC (and, previously, GNER) use the old Platform 1 & 19 combination for Aberdeen trains in both directions (I can't remember the new platform numbers!). Similarly, Inverness (and Glasgow Central) trains use the old Platforms 10/11, mostly 11.
The ONLY time I used the sleepers to/from Edinburgh (twice in 1991!), they left (old) platform 10, and arrived at (old) platform 20 or 21.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And Waverley is where the sleeper splits into the lowland and highland sleepers, aint it?
No, the highland and lowland sleepers are two separate trains that leave London at different times. Edinburgh is however where 1S25 splits into the Fort William, Inverness and Aberdeen portions.

Bittern

Established Member
Oh I see! I was under the impression that the sleepers left London as one big train and diverged at Edinburgh to go their separate ways.

MCR247

Established Member
Oh I see! I was under the impression that the sleepers left London as one big train and diverged at Edinburgh to go their separate ways.

The highland one leaves euston & splits at edinburgh (no alighting alowed) and goes to Ft william, aberdeen & inverness. Where as the other leaves late and splits at: ?? for Edinburgh & glasgow

Bittern

Established Member
According to NationalRail's website, the Highland Sleeper leaves Euston at 21:16 while the Lowland Sleeper leaves at 22:58.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The Lowland splits at Carstairs. There needs to be two trains, each leaves London (and arrives at London) as a sixteen car train!
IIRC correctly the portions are:
6 sleepers, a seated and a lounge car for Edinburgh
6 sleepers, a seated and a lounge car for Glasgow
2 sleepers for Fort William (with seated and lounge added/detached at Edinburgh)
6 sleepers, a seated and a lounge car for Aberdeen
4 sleepers, a seated and a lounge car for Edinburgh

(but I may be wrong on the Highland)

me123

Established Member
The "4 sleeper-car portion" goes to Aberdeen, not Edinburgh, but otherwise you're correct with the Highland.

Status
Not open for further replies.