• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
So the planets seem to be lining up. I have time off work, France is on the Amber list, France is allowing us in, I have my paper vaccine certificate, I have the French Covid app, I have my "sworn statement", I have my proof of property ownership (thank you Brexit), Shapps is unlikely to change the status of France today, and I go in less than 3 weeks.

What a ruddy faff to cross the Channel. I used to go on the spur of the moment.
Proof of property ownership? So can you only go to France if you own a property in France, i.e. casual visits from tourists are not allowed? Or only go to France if you own a property in the UK (which is even more bizarre)?

I find Sweden's current attitude bizarre. Originally the country that seemed most lax about restrictions, they now seem one of the most austere in Europe. They ban arrivals from all countries other than EU or other Schengen countries, unless they are citizens of said countries. Nothing to do with the delta variant in the UK, just a general ban from all other countries. That is like Brexit in reverse, as bad as the UK government's apparent paranoia of foreigners (generally, not just Covid), and another example of the xenophobia being shown by formerly liberal regimes.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
What are the regs for entering France at the moment? Is it simply a proof of double vaccination and a locator form, or is there more to it than that?
If you're going in to France double jabbed, there are no health regulations apart from showing your jab certificate and sworn statement of no symptoms. All other hassles are Brexit related. Getting back in to the UK is the problem. The passenger locator form and LFT have to be registered online in the two days leading up to return. I'm taking two mobile phones just in case I have some sort of technical problem, as there seems to be no way of doing anything on paper.

Proof of property ownership? So can you only go to France if you own a property in France, i.e. casual visits from tourists are not allowed? Or only go to France if you own a property in the UK (which is even more bizarre)?
No. That's just for property owners. A proof of accommodation booking is needed for others. The problems come if you're staying with friends or relatives, as they need to get a "welcome certificate" and register it with the local town hall.

nw1

Established Member
No. That's just for property owners. A proof of accommodation booking is needed for others. The problems come if you're staying with friends or relatives, as they need to get a "welcome certificate" and register it with the local town hall.

Ah OK thanks. Re staying with relatives, this seems like unnecessary bureaucracy. (Not going to France anytime soon, but just curious...)

kristiang85

Established Member

I find Sweden's current attitude bizarre. Originally the country that seemed most lax about restrictions, they now seem one of the most austere in Europe. They ban arrivals from all countries other than EU or other Schengen countries, unless they are citizens of said countries. Nothing to do with the delta variant in the UK, just a general ban from all other countries. That is like Brexit in reverse, as bad as the UK government's apparent paranoia of foreigners (generally, not just Covid), and another example of the xenophobia being shown by formerly liberal regimes.
My Swedish friend and her English boyfriend went there last week, and had an utter nightmare. Despite thinking they'd ticked all the boxes, he was nearly not allowed to board. I'm not sure how they resolved it, but it ended OK.

That's bizarre- I do actually want to stay with a friend when I go. What's the reasoning behind this?

Would a dummy booking printout on Booking.com, subsequently cancelled, fool them enough, or are the checks deeper than that?

adc82140

Established Member
My Swedish friend and her English boyfriend went there last week, and had an utter nightmare. Despite thinking they'd ticked all the boxes, he was nearly not allowed to board. I'm not sure how they resolved it, but it ended OK.

That's bizarre- I do actually want to stay with a friend when I go. What's the reasoning behind this?

Would a dummy booking printout on Booking.com, subsequently cancelled, fool them enough, or are the checks deeper than that?
I doubt they'll check at all. It's always been the case that non EU nationals have had to provide proof of accommodation and means of financial sustinence. Since Brexit it's now applying to us.

Cdd89

Established Member
I’ve entered France twice in the last two weeks - once by Eurostar, once by Eurotunnel - and in neither case was any interest shown to either my vaccination proof or my sworn attestation. I have EU citizenship but others in the car with U.K. passports were asked no questions about where they were staying.

I don’t think the French border people really give a toss.

adc82140

Established Member
I’ve entered France twice in the last two weeks - once by Eurostar, once by Eurotunnel - and in neither case was any interest shown to either my vaccination proof or my sworn attestation. I have EU citizenship but others in the car with U.K. passports were asked no questions about where they were staying.

I don’t think the French border people really give a toss.
I'll be entering via the port of Caen. Having seen the disinterest of the border police there in the past, I think all my paperwork will remain in the glove box.

kristiang85

Established Member
I doubt they'll check at all. It's always been the case that non EU nationals have had to provide proof of accommodation and means of financial sustinence. Since Brexit it's now applying to us.

Oh right OK, nothing to do with COVID then. Thanks!

adc82140

Established Member
Looking in more detail at the French regulations, it seems that their traffic light system only applies to unvaccinated people. Therefore if you are vaccinated you can enter even from an otherwise "red" country without quarantine or testing. We could learn a lot.

Established Member
Here is one for the group.

I am booked to be flying to Madrid in just over 2 weeks. (Pending this weeks random country generation game) I believe that as I am fully vaccinated that I don't need to quarantine or take a test to enter Spain, and I don't need to quarantine on the return. However I can't quite work out whether they only accept that NHS App as proof of vaccination, or if they'll accept my paper certificate? Does anyone have any experiences or maybe see the rules a different way to me?

Bantamzen

Established Member

I am booked to be flying to Madrid in just over 2 weeks. (Pending this weeks random country generation game) I believe that as I am fully vaccinated that I don't need to quarantine or take a test to enter Spain, and I don't need to quarantine on the return. However I can't quite work out whether they only accept that NHS App as proof of vaccination, or if they'll accept my paper certificate? Does anyone have any experiences or maybe see the rules a different way to me?
I'm going to Spain on Monday. As far as I can tell, you will need either proof of 2 vaccines (with the 2nd more than 14 days ago) or negative test & you need to complete an online health form. It seems that they will accept either the app QR code or a printed one, although a printed one expires quicker than the electronic one so be aware.

To return you will need to get a test for 2 days prior to your return, as well as a Day 2 PCR test booked for 2 days after return. And of course there is also a locator form to complete 48 hours before flying back.

adc82140

Established Member

They should accept the NHS app. However as belt and braces I have a paper copy too (for multiple reasons including "computer says no" and my own phone going kaput)

Established Member
I'm going to Spain on Monday. As far as I can tell, you will need either proof of 2 vaccines (with the 2nd more than 14 days ago) or negative test & you need to complete an online health form. It seems that they will accept either the app QR code or a printed one, although a printed one expires quicker than the electronic one so be aware.

To return you will need to get a test for 2 days prior to your return, as well as a Day 2 PCR test booked for 2 days after return. And of course there is also a locator form to complete 48 hours before flying back.
Thank you! That was my understanding also, The expiration I am not too worried about for now as my 2 weeks since 2nd jab end next week, the joys of having a clown in the position of a glorified mayor.

They should accept the NHS app.
That's the issue. Unfortunately our inept leaders only offer it in paper form at the moment.

island

Veteran Member
If you're going in to France double jabbed, there are no health regulations apart from showing your jab certificate and sworn statement of no symptoms. All other hassles are Brexit related. Getting back in to the UK is the problem. The passenger locator form and LFT have to be registered online in the two days leading up to return. I'm taking two mobile phones just in case I have some sort of technical problem, as there seems to be no way of doing anything on paper.

You do not need either a proof of accommodation booking or welcome certificate to enter France. However, holding one of them serves to reduce from €120 the amount of funds per day a non-EU national can (theoretically) be asked to show evidence of.

You do need a return ticket.

Richard Scott

Established Member

Been to Spain and paper copy is fine.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Correct. This I'm not sure, but besides yourself showing proof of vaccination (as you have been vaccinated), you will also need to do an online passanger locator form here: spth.gob.es. You can do both paper or electronic - in my case I did it on paper.

In my case, when I went to Spain, I didn't need to take a test, as I went at the time Spain removed testing requirements for UK arrivals (I went there in June this year).

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm off to Ireland on Saturday for the first of three visits over the next month.

Thankfully all you have to fill out is a PLF online and print it off or save on your phone.

No Testing in or out hallelujah :E

D6130

Established Member
My wife and I are setting off for an eight week stay at our house in Italy on 15th September. We have booked to travel on Eurostar from London to Paris on that date for a two night stay with a friend in Paris, before continuing onwards to Italy by TGV to Torino, Frecciarossa to Firenze and regional trains via Arezzo to our village on 17th September. We know that we shall have to fill in a PLF and quarantine at home for five days on arrival in Italy and take a free PCR test during that period. On our return we shall be leaving Italy on 10th November, spending another two nights with our friend in Paris and then returning to Yorkshire on 12th November. We've had to do it this way because of seat availabilty on the Italy-France TGVs on a public holiday (Armistice Day) weekend. We're still trying to work out how and when to do the 'return to UK' PCR tests. Any sensible suggestions welcome!

D6130

Established Member
Do an LFD test. Much cheaper! There are quite a few companies offering them for £20-£40. You can either order them before you go and take them with you or find a local provider.
Great idea....thanks! Are you sure that these are acceptable to the UK Border Force? I thought the idea was that you have to take an independently analised test which cannot be self-manipulated.

Established Member
Do an LFD test. Much cheaper! There are quite a few companies offering them for £20-£40. You can either order them before you go and take them with you or find a local provider.

The 'Day 2' test still has to be a PCR though, doesn't it?

adc82140

Established Member
Great idea....thanks! Are you sure that these are acceptable to the UK Border Force? I thought the idea was that you have to take an independently analised test which cannot be self-manipulated.
The company I'm using asks you to take a photo of your test next to your passport, then they issue a certificate. Other companies are slightly different and watch you do the test on a video call

Richard Scott

Established Member
The company I'm using asks you to take a photo of your test next to your passport, then they issue a certificate. Other companies are slightly different and watch you do the test on a video call
Which company is that can I ask?

adc82140

Established Member
Which company is that can I ask?
This one...

Antigen/lateral flow test – COVID-19 health screening – Ideal for returning to the UK (pre-travel test suitable for travel)​

SKU: lateral-flow-test
£25.00

Richard Scott

Established Member
This one...

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.