• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This is rarely if ever checked, though of course the time you don't have it would be the one time they ask.

agreed. But it literally takes 10 seconds to complete, so personally I’d do it (and indeed did).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Off to Munich today from EDI via LHR for a long weekend.

Weird that there are no forms to fill out or tests to take, only need my jab certificate.

Hopefully I 'll get a bit further than my Dusseldorf Trip a few weeks ago that only got as far as Heathrow thanks to BA's IT meltdown..

TFN

France - we may need to provide a "sworn statement", but I don't think so as we're just passing through on Eurostar to Brussels
For the trains that stop at both Lille and Brussels, Eurostar have separate queues for the border forces (even though it's the same train).

When I travelled 2 weeks ago to Brussels, the border force only asked for my vaccine certificate. The Eurostar Staff asked to see my Belgian PLF.

There was a separate queue for travellers going to France. I don't know what they were asked for.

For the trains that stop at both Lille and Brussels, Eurostar have separate queues for the border forces (even though it's the same train).

When I travelled 2 weeks ago to Brussels, the border force only asked for my vaccine certificate. The Eurostar Staff asked to see my Belgian PLF.

There was a separate queue for travellers going to France. I don't know what they were asked for.
Was on a Eurostar a few weeks ago, that stopped in France, Belgium and Holland. Only one queue for immigration. Eurostar were checking Passenger locator Forms before immigration.

island

Veteran Member
Was on a Eurostar a few weeks ago, that stopped in France, Belgium and Holland. Only one queue for immigration. Eurostar were checking Passenger locator Forms before immigration.
What if a passenger was going to France, which does not require passenger locator forms?

LAX54

Established Member
The rules have been relaxed from today and vaccinated people from the UK no longer need a test. They still need to fill in the vaccine declaration form.
Also need the NHS vaccine certificate, which is only valid if you have had the booster. but a test is not needed now.
from 23.03.2022:

If you are a resident of a country that is not on the list of safe countries and fully vaccinated, you can be exempted from the EU entry ban. Under this exemption you can enter the Netherlands if you have valid proof of vaccination showing that you have been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). The official validity period of a proof of vaccination is 270 days after the last dose of the primary vaccination cycle. After receiving a booster dose the proof of vaccination will be valid again.

This category does not apply for travel from from China until China lifts entry restrictions on European travellers.

Documents to be shown at the Dutch border

If you meet the conditions above and travel to the Netherlands, you will need to show the following documents to the Dutch border authorities:

A60stock

For Spain, if you are using the NHS recovery from covid pass, it states the following:

If you’re travelling to Spain for tourism purposes, are not fully vaccinated but have recovered from prior COVID-19 infection in the last 6 months, you can use the UK proof of COVID-19 recovery record or a recovery certificate issued by a relevant health authority or medical service to certify your COVID-19 status.

At least 11 days must have passed since your first positive COVID-19 nucleic acid amplification test - NAAT (PCR or similar) or rapid antigen test. The recovery record or certificate will be valid for 180 days from the date of the positive test and must include the following information:

• your full name
  • the date you first tested positive for COVID-19
  • the type of test administered (e.g. COVID-19 nucleic acid amplification test - NAAT (PCR or similar) or rapid antigen test)
  • the name of the country issuing the recovery record or certificate
  • documentary proof of the diagnostic test from which the Recovery Certificate is derived

Does anyone know what the last bullet point means? Does this mean you need additional documentation in addition to the NHS Covid recovery pass/barcode?

Any help greatly appreciated

nanstallon

Travelling to Italy on 14th April. NHS certificate shows 2nd jab on 21st April 2021 (more than 270 days ago), and booster on 29th October 2021. Will that satisfy requirements with out needing to self isolate? Advice warmly appreciated, please.

Mainline421

Travelling to Italy on 14th April. NHS certificate shows 2nd jab on 21st April 2021 (more than 270 days ago), and booster on 29th October 2021. Will that satisfy requirements with out needing to self isolate? Advice warmly appreciated, please.
Yes, the third dose counts for Italy's requirements and unlike the first two never expires now (even after 270 days).

Butts

Veteran Member
Made it to Munich okay and can confirm just about 100% compliance wearing FFP2 Masks here on Public Transport including at Airports and enclosed parts of Railway Stations.

Weird after a mask free Heathrow.

I only had a normal blue mask but was not challenged (have now got FFP2 one).

Vaccination Pass asked for to go into Tourist Information Office !!

greyman42

Established Member
Made it to Munich okay and can confirm just about 100% compliance wearing FFP2 Masks here on Public Transport including at Airports and enclosed parts of Railway Stations.

I am surprised anyone pays good money to visit countries that still have these sort of laws. I certainly will not.

Was in Austria a few week ago which is also an FFP2 mask country.

Nobody seems to follow up if you don't wear one. Even the police and immingration staff at the airport. They are happy that you have one in use. Whatever kind it is.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yes, the third dose counts for Italy's requirements and unlike the first two never expires now (even after 270 days).
This is a bizarre rule to say the least, even in a world with a myriad of bizarre "covid-safe" rules. Hopefully they will soon relax these daft ideas and get back to some form of normality.

island

Veteran Member
To be fair, very few third doses were given more than 270 days ago so they have not yet had to consider that particular circumstance. As 4th doses start to roll out, an end date for the validity of the 3rd might manifest in due course. I express no view on whether that would be good or bad.

Was in Austria a few week ago which is also an FFP2 mask country.

Nobody seems to follow up if you don't wear one. Even the police and immingration staff at the airport. They are happy that you have one in use. Whatever kind it is.
I have a better idea – stick to countries like Ireland, England, Sweden, and (from Monday) Wales, where you can go about your day with no mask at all.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
4th doses are only for the most vulnerable groups, not universally available.
Give it time. I have no doubt it will be just like the third dose in that respect, with political pressure being applied to have more people become eligible - suddenly we will hear all about the legions of immunosuppressed, deafblind, tetraplegic 3 year old kids again.

And if vaccine passport restrictions return - bearing in mind that the scheme's underpinning EU Regulation has just been extended for another year - then no doubt the 4th dose will feature in that just the same as 3rd doses have. It's a Pandora's box that will never shut again.

Give it time. I have no doubt it will be just like the third dose in that respect, with political pressure being applied to have more people become eligible - suddenly we will hear all about the legions of immunosuppressed, deafblind, tetraplegic 3 year old kids again.

And if vaccine passport restrictions return - bearing in mind that the scheme's underpinning EU Regulation has just been extended for another year - then no doubt the 4th dose will feature in that just the same as 3rd doses have. It's a Pandora's box that will never shut again.
Scotland have ready started to roll out the 4th dose to over 75s. This will roll down the age ranges over the next few Months.

nw1

Established Member

So why does having actually had Covid count for so little then? I would expect that double vaccination plus actual infection would give far more protection than the booster (though I will admit I am not completely sure), yet actual infection times out even quicker (180 days) than the 2nd dose. Do the boosters actually give more protection than previous infection with actual Covid?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So why does having actually had Covid count for so little then? That times out even quicker (180 days) than the 2nd dose. Do the boosters give more protection than actual Covid?
Because it's all about politics, that's why. The unvaccinated are an easy target to blame for "the mess we're in now".

Having Covid gives protection that's at least equivalent to one dose of the vaccine so there is no logic to one timing out faster than the other.

Butts

Veteran Member
I was talking to the receptionist in my Munich Hotel and he was saying that Bavaria where I am has some of the strictest mask wearing and other covid rules.

He is under the impression that other parts of Germany have eased up a little bit.

Seems the UK is not the only Country with disparate policies in different constituent parts.

Established Member
I was talking to the receptionist in my Munich Hotel and he was saying that Bavaria where I am has some of the strictest mask wearing and other covid rules.

He is under the impression that other parts of Germany have eased up a little bit.

Seems the UK is not the only Country with disparate policies in different constituent parts.

I've just been to Berlin which is similarly strict. The Cologne/Dusseldorf area last year seemed a little more relaxed.

Bantamzen

Established Member
To be fair, very few third doses were given more than 270 days ago so they have not yet had to consider that particular circumstance. As 4th doses start to roll out, an end date for the validity of the 3rd might manifest in due course. I express no view on whether that would be good or bad.
But as I've pointed out over on the unvaccinated travelling thread, these timescales make no sense. They seem to based on the premise that the vaccine is only effective for a short period of time, when in reality what is actually happening is that people's immune systems only produce antibodies whilst there are the viral proteins present. Once they are gone, antibody production ramps down very quickly. And this will likely happen in far less time than 270 days.

However our immune systems do not forget, the next time the virus is detected in the body antibody production as well T-cells dealing with infected cells is quickly activated. This is what politicians are forgetting or ignoring.

So why does having actually had Covid count for so little then? I would expect that double vaccination plus actual infection would give far more protection than the booster (though I will admit I am not completely sure), yet actual infection times out even quicker (180 days) than the 2nd dose. Do the boosters actually give more protection than previous infection with actual Covid?

Because it's all about politics, that's why. The unvaccinated are an easy target to blame for "the mess we're in now".

Having Covid gives protection that's at least equivalent to one dose of the vaccine so there is no logic to one timing out faster than the other.
Exactly, as above politicians are picking the bits of science up that suit their agendas. If anything having covid after the initial two jabs will be more effective than a booster, as the immune system will pick up all of the virus's RNA rather than just the bits we offer it, but with the added benefit that it is already aware of some of the proteins to be able to react quickly & not causing serious illness.

There's really no logic to any of this timing out.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just made my first flight without a mask BA Munich to London Heathrow - wonderful :E

Even better I was upgraded at the gate to 1D !!

Strangely they didn't announce the requirement not to have to wear a mask - I took my lead from the crew being maskless and asked.

Most people were still wearing them and FFP2's as well - suckers :idea:

ABB125

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a French sworn statement (for passing through on the way to Brussels on Eurostar). Could someone please let me know what "demeurant" means in the context of the form (see attached)?

I would also appreciate it if someone could confirm the following:
  • The UK is an "orange" country
  • The first section of the form is name, date of birth, nationality, unknown (see above)
  • The next section is place of origin, destination
  • I need to tick the first two boxes, but not the third (since I'm not unvaccinated, therefore it doesn't apply to me)
  • The final section is signature and date
  • Is a printed form the best option?

Attachments

• 11-02-2022-engagement-sur-l-honneur-orange.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 10

Dr Day

I'm in the process of doing a French sworn statement (for passing through on the way to Brussels on Eurostar). Could someone please let me know what "demeurant" means in the context of the form (see attached)?

I would also appreciate it if someone could confirm the following:
  • The UK is an "orange" country
  • The first section of the form is name, date of birth, nationality, unknown (see above)
  • The next section is place of origin, destination
  • I need to tick the first two boxes, but not the third (since I'm not unvaccinated, therefore it doesn't apply to me)
  • The final section is signature and date
  • Is a printed form the best option?
Demeurant is place of abode, UK is still considered amber or orange, yes, yes, yes, yes - French love a pile of paperwork - much easier to hand over. There should be an official English translation on the official site which is fine to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.