• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainline421

Yes, compliance in Germany is very very high indeed. On the Hamburg S-Bahn yesterday, other passengers would usually start having a go at maskless ones.

Interest from traincrews very much varies. Some haven't said anything and others have done PA announcements reminiscent of the lockdown days saying you'll be thrown off at the next stop if you don't wear one.
Interesting because that's not at all in line with my observations in Bavaria recently. Definitely no other passengers saying anything to the many unmasked (nor police or rail staff).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Outside of Hamburg itself yesterday it seemed to be an awfully lot more lax.

By contrast, my bus driver this morning on the 174 to Ohlsdorf S Bahn was genuinely challenging everyone who boarded with the "wrong" type of mask.

Jamiescott1

Currently in crete, although the fco website says masks are required on public transport, I've yet to see a person wearing a mask all week. Very much back to pre 2020

kristiang85

Established Member
What's the current masking rules in Spain? I'm in Madrid in two weeks, and I really don't fancy wearing the infernal things in 40c heat. It's only two days, but still...

greyman42

Established Member
Outside of Hamburg itself yesterday it seemed to be an awfully lot more lax.

By contrast, my bus driver this morning on the 174 to Ohlsdorf S Bahn was genuinely challenging everyone who boarded with the "wrong" type of mask.
Thankfully we live in a great country despite what some people say.

nw1

Established Member
I agree but really can't understand why these mandates are carrying on. It's not scientific and it's not preventing infections do what is the point. Are the politicians in those countries really that daft?

That's the thing, there seems absolutely no sense in it.

One explanation is an inflated level of guilt: a whole guilt complex has developed over Covid and even in 2022 it's seen as a terrible thing by some to be lax on restrictions. It's as if all sense of proportion has been completely removed.

No country implemented any restrictions whatsoever in 1999, for instance, for the nasty flu circulating that year (which put me, as a twenty-something, in bed for several days over Christmas). And even the 1968 flu pandemic (likely more severe than Omicron, from what I gather - albeit less severe than Covid was in 2020) attracted almost no restrictions. Woodstock took place in the summer between the two main waves, and no-one batted an eyelid. But for whatever reason this sense of guilt wasn't so intense.

Whatever one's position on restrictions in 2020 or even early 2021, it seems to be crazy to continue to adopt them now in mid-2022.

What's the current masking rules in Spain? I'm in Madrid in two weeks, and I really don't fancy wearing the infernal things in 40c heat. It's only two days, but still...

I guess the question has been answered, but one might hope the temp might have reduced from 40C to something closer to the average (32C)...

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member
I guess the question has been answered, but one might hope the temp might have reduced from 40C to something closer to the average (32C)...

At this time of year it's pretty much always high 30s/ low 40s there during the day.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where are masks required in Spain, is it just public transport? I'm there in a few weeks also and now thinking that was a poor decision.

Yes just public transport - you must wear a face covering on an empty train but don't have to wear one in a crowded bar it seems.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Thankfully we live in a great country despite what some people say.
He didn't actually "do" anything but my thought is why deliberately try and start arguments with passengers? He wasn't exactly saying this in a pleasant way either.

It doesn't help that despite "officially" FFP2 masks being required, 90% of traincrews just opt for the blue surgical masks, presumably as they're more breathable, if a bit useless. The messaging on most public transport is also that a "mask" or "medical mask" is required. Only on the Hannover S Bahn and Hamburg U Bahn have I heard FFP2 explicitly mentioned. Of course, this will be down to the fact that different states have different rules, so you can suddenly end up with an 'incorrect' mask on while on a train!

I was in Thuringia today and it was about 50% blue masks and 50% no mask. Nobody was challenging it either.

Have to say I'm glad most countries in Europe are over this now. Its not necessarily the masks themselves but the potential for aggro.

Last edited:

zero

This journalist tries to answer the question about Germany but doesn't come up with much beyond "because Germans accept it"

nw1

Established Member
At this time of year it's pretty much always high 30s/ low 40s there during the day.

Was going by various weather sites suggesting 32C, and Wikipedia (sourced from WMO) which suggests a 31C max this time of year, much more comfortable. 40C in Madrid would thus be equivalent, presumably, to about 32C in London, i.e. likely to occur on a small number of days each summer, but well above average. Though I haven't been there myself so can't comment first-hand!

I always think of 40C+ temps anywhere in Europe as really extreme, and traditionally the preserve of locations like North Africa, the Middle East, and the interior southwestern United States - though admittedly occurring more often in Europe due to climate change.

kristiang85

Established Member
Was going by various weather sites suggesting 32C, and Wikipedia (sourced from WMO) which suggests a 31C max this time of year, much more comfortable. 40C in Madrid would thus be equivalent, presumably, to about 32C in London, i.e. likely to occur on a small number of days each summer, but well above average. Though I haven't been there myself so can't comment first-hand!

I always think of 40C+ temps anywhere in Europe as really extreme, and traditionally the preserve of locations like North Africa, the Middle East, and the interior southwestern United States - though admittedly occurring more often in Europe due to climate change.

Usually when I plan trips I go off historical weather data at timeanddate.com - for the past few years, late July in Madrid has been around 36-38ish. https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/spain/madrid/historic
Also when I told a friend who lives there I was coming through for a couple of days, she thought I was mad.

Being bang slap in the centre of Spain, away from the coast, means it normally gets very very hot, and will go over 40 at points every year. But yes you're right, 40+ in Europe should be a rarity, but it is being breached more often now. Certainly seeing it in the UK next week is quite extraordinary.

But at least we don't have to wear masks in it...

Bantamzen

Established Member
Interesting it's the case in San Francisco, a city famed for an easy-going and laid-back approach to life. (I have actually been there, three times now, between 1996 and 2004).

Why are they so worried, now? Sounds almost like the opposite extreme to Trump: maybe those suggestions that America has become extremely polarised with little middle ground might actually hold some weight.

It would be interesting to hear what percentage of the American electorate EITHER still support Trump OR still believe harsh restrictions are appropriate in 2022. Both positions seem rather hardline to me personally.
American politics is so much more polarised than it is elsewhere. So its entirely possible that for some wearing of masks is a show some allegiance to the party that was much more into masks and restrictions than the other.

This journalist tries to answer the question about Germany but doesn't come up with much beyond "because Germans accept it"

And to be fair this is probably the reason why German politicians cling to masks, because they can.

kingston_toon

Italy's mask requirements are now only on trains. coaches and buses (planes have now been dropped). Having been in Italy early in May (Turin) and then late June (Rome) the wearing of masks has dropped significantly and was only really noticeable on busy buses and the metro. Even at the three big gigs we went to in Rome (one large 11000 capacity arena and two open air) there was little wearing of masks Enforcement now seems to be completely non-existent - public attitude to Covid risks seemed very similar to UK

We flew Heathrow to Milan Linate on 8 July and back Munich to Heathrow on 11 July (was meant to be LTN-MXP and BSL-LGW but easyJet cancelled both flights on the day!). On the way out to Milan, masks were not required - as expected - and only a handful wore one. What did surprise me was no announcement to put one on during the bus ride to the terminal, nor at passport control, so only a few people did. None of the staff at Linate were wearing one. We then took the bus into town and while nearly everyone boarded without a mask, the majority put one on when the doors closed and we departed. We didn't, and no-one gave us any hassle. We then took the train into Switzerland, which was around 90% masked with regular reminder announcements, but to be honest I expected it to be higher! I drank a few beers on the way, and as soon as we arrived into Chiasso, most took off their masks. I observed little masking outside in Milan, nor in Central Station.

3 days in Switzerland was fab - loads of great trains, amazing scenery, no masks anywhere.

To get to Munich, we took an ICE to Zurich then the SBB EC from there to Munich. No masks on the DB ICE, even crew. We sat in the restaurant car all the way from Zurich to Munich and bought loads of food and drink - great crew, wonderful atmosphere. As we approached Lindau in Germany, an announcement was made to mask up. Our restaurant car attendant rolled his eyes and put on a surgical mask. We and most of the rest of the restaurant car kept on eating and drinking and didn't. I could see everyone was properly masked in the adjacent first class section. After 30 minutes or so, the catering host had clearly had enough and removed his again. So a very pleasant unmasked ride to Munich with no hassle - would absolutely recommend this!

There was nearly 100% masking on the S-Bahn to Munich Airport, though interestingly most were surgical, and few put them on until boarding the train. I wore my 2 year old extremely loose cloth mask with no complaints. Munich Airport was 90% unmasked and we were surprised when the BA cabin manager said no masks required on the flight to Heathrow - this was the case when I did Nuremberg a few months back but subsequently the BA site changed to say they were required to / from Germany. Only a few masked up though.

Spain this weekend - so looking forward to masking on public transport there (not!).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Spain this weekend - so looking forward to masking on public transport there (not!).
It was fine on my visit; I have an extremely breathable mask which is deliberately designed for that purpose and is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, but it ticks the box required by virtue signallers and that's all that matters :D

On the High Speed Train we went preferente class and only had to wear masks for about 5 minutes, while on the local train plenty of water was consumed (I did put on the breathable mask a few times when the guard was walking through just to go along with the whole charade; the guard had an exposed nose so was reasonably relaxed with people who were going through the motions)

I posted about our experiences at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trains-in-spain-advice-please.234071/#post-5745172

That said I am not booking any more trips to Spain until the nonsense ceases as I don't want to risk coming across a maskivist.

zero

the BA cabin manager said no masks required on the flight to Heathrow - this was the case when I did Nuremberg a few months back but subsequently the BA site changed to say they were required to / from Germany.

Germany still requires masks on all flights to and from Germany (which the BA website confirms) but BA hasn't been enforcing this for several months. Which country's laws come out on top was discussed here recently, but some posts were moved to the Aviation section.

In theory Germany could ban airlines flying to Germany if they don't enforce the German mask rules, but this obviously isn't going to happen. BA certainly doesn't want to delay planes any further by attempting to enforce rules that don't exist in the UK, which in the worst case would involve calling police for disruptive passengers.

I came across a "masktivist" in Germany who told a passenger on a train to move his surgical mask up above his nose. But she was wearing a cloth mask herself.

Even if surgical masks were very effective in theory, currently the parts in contact with your face are likely to be covered in sweat and will cause the mask to droop naturally, especially on some German local trains with no / poor air con.

Fragezeichnen

Yes just public transport - you must wear a face covering on an empty train but don't have to wear one in a crowded bar it seems.

People who are immune-suppressed or have a pre-existing lung condition and are trying to avoid exposure can choose not to go to a crowded bar, but many people have no effective alternative to public transport in order to access their workplace/college etc.

Richard Scott

Established Member
People who are immune-suppressed or have a pre-existing lung condition and are trying to avoid exposure can choose not to go to a crowded bar, but many people have no effective alternative to public transport in order to access their workplace/college etc.
But if they are immune-suppressed then they have to be careful about exposure to any number of pathogens and that's been the case for years. Why, all of a sudden, do we concentrate on one?

Fragezeichnen

That said I am not booking any more trips to Spain until the nonsense ceases as I don't want to risk coming across a maskivist.

Your complicated travel procedures involving importing at great expense masks specically designed to be ineffective, preparation of numerous excuses to 'temporarily' not wear a mask, booking and rebooking depending on changing mask regulations, and worries about being seen to be insuficiently anti-mask sound all rather stressful and just make feel a bit sorry for you, tbh. Wouldn't it be easier to just wear the damn mask?

But if they are immune-suppressed then they have to be careful about exposure to any number of pathogens and that's been the case for years. Why, all of a sudden, do we concentrate on one?

Now you are asking a different question. First you wanted to know why trains and not bars, know you want to know why trains now and not trains pre-pandemic.

Even with a vaccination, Covid still is unmatched in how far and fast it spreads in comparison with other diseases of a similar severity.

Now you are asking a different question. First you wanted to know why trains and not bars, know you want to know why trains now and not trains pre-pandemic.

Even with a vaccination, Covid still is unmatched in how far and fast it spreads in comparison with other diseases of a similar severity.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
Wouldn't it be easier to just wear the damn mask?

It probably would indeed be *easier* for most people, compliance with authoritarians usually is much easier than opposing it, but complying with nonsense is not going to get it stopped.

You may be happy living in a society where people are forced to wear masks in public forever, but many of us are very much not, and the way to end that is not to 'just wear the damn mask' but rather resist it in every way possible.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Your complicated travel procedures involving importing at great expense masks specically designed to be ineffective, preparation of numerous excuses to 'temporarily' not wear a mask, booking and rebooking depending on changing mask regulations, and worries about being seen to be insuficiently anti-mask sound all rather stressful and just make feel a bit sorry for you, tbh. Wouldn't it be easier to just wear the damn mask?

Are you only allowed to ask one question?

Are you only allowed to ask one question?
Wouldn’t it be easier if you wore an FFP3 and minded your own business?

Richard Scott

Established Member
What are you talking about? This is the first response I've made to one of your posts and it was a fairly simple statement so don't understand why that response was necessary?

joebassman

I went to Menorca last week. Masks were supposed to be mandertory on the return transfer coach but few bothered. Most wore them on buses but some didn't and the drivers didn't seem to care too much. Hardly anyone was wearing one at the airport.

I had a pcr test before going as my vaxes were more than 270 days and I didn't want the booster, but all I had to show was the spanish health form which I filled in and ticked the negative result box before I had got my test result back and it allowed me to. They only scanned that and didn't bother to look at or ask for the test result certificate.

It appears I could have just filled the form in and not bothered to have the test.

Also I don't get why they allow EU citizens in now who haven't had the vax without having to have the PCR test whereas if you are from the UK you do. Seems to be a little way for them to get at us for leaving.

kristiang85

Established Member
Also I don't get why they allow EU citizens in now who haven't had the vax without having to have the PCR test whereas if you are from the UK you do. Seems to be a little way for them to get at us for leaving.

Isn't it a rule for all third countries? Whilst there may be some motivation in not making our lives easier due to Brexit, what makes us different from other countries outside the EU?

It's annoying indeed, and scientifically is a stupid rule, but I can see politically why it's in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.