• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cowans Sheldon 75 tone crane - N gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

Hi Chaps,

I thought now would be a good time to mention my involvement in a project that started almost ten years ago.

A few moths ago a good friend messaged me asking if I had any CAD experience, mainly as he knew I've designed 4 layer PCBs for an electronics project. Having explained I've not used a CAD application before, he laid his cards on the table and asked if I could help him out. It seems that a decade ago he and a friend, in conjunction with the N Gauge Forum, started a project to model the Cowans Sheldon 75 ton crane, with his friend doing the CAD work as that was what he did as a day job. However he retired a few months back and gave up doing CAD both professionally and as part of the hobby. By this time the crane was 95% complete, but the remaining 5% was critical to turning the lumps of material into a rolling crane. Hence why my friend turned to me in a bid to at least try and complete the model and make it available to all those who have expressed an interest over on the N Gauge Forum.

First task was to download and install FreeCAD. First impression was panic... the learning curve was going to be steep! - Then we stumbled on another issue. For personal reasons we couldn't get hold of the original FreeCAD files, but the parts were available as STL files. So I had to learn how to convert an STL into a range of solid components, which could then be modified. Anyway, over the course of the following weeks the small tweaks to the model were made (such as modifying the frames of all wagons to accept brass bearings), and my friend sent the files off to have a couple of test prints made.

A week or so later I received a parcel in the post. Inside there was a complete set of parts for me to assemble, including 10 metal wheel sets, and a nice etch fret with some fine detailed parts. Now up to this point my model making had been a few Airfix kits I made up as a kid some 50 years ago, and more recently, a few box van kits from the N Gauge Society, both of which came with instructions. Not to be put off I started with one of the match trucks as it was the simplest to assemble. Brass wheel bearings were glued in place, and the two halves pushed together, made simple by the design which employs a dowel and pocket arrangement.

P1019938.JPG

Eventually I had a model that was 99% complete. A few areas were highlighted that needed a final tweak, which halted taking the model further, and the CAD was altered to do the final draft of the design. I didn't have any fine thread so had to use what I had available, and I wasn't really happy with this, but it would do for now.

RailTec had been drafted in to produce the transfers at an early stage in the project, however I discovered a small oversight which we are hoping will be resolved in a few weeks, so the transfers will be available for any version of the crane, be that the steam powered or diesel. However this didn't prevent me form giving the crane a test run on my layout (which hadn't seen a train run on it for several months !). The crane was extremely free running, and negotiated the tight curves and points with ease.

It had been decided form the onset that this was never going to be offered as a complete kit. The printed 3D parts would be available in two mediums, with the higher definitions option available through 3DR Designs on Shapeways. The more robust version and the etch fret would be available from my friend, but anyone wanting one of these excellent models will still need to source the transfers form RailTec and the metal wheel sets themselves. No details of pricing yet, but we hope to have that available once we've confirmed the last test build all goes together, and the updated transfers are ready. I'll update this thread as I know more

medium_5722-090823163127.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi Chaps,

I thought now would be a good time to mention my involvement in a project that started almost ten years ago.

A few moths ago a good friend messaged me asking if I had any CAD experience, mainly as he knew I've designed 4 layer PCBs for an electronics project. Having explained I've not used a CAD application before, he laid his cards on the table and asked if I could help him out. It seems that a decade ago he and a friend, in conjunction with the N Gauge Forum, started a project to model the Cowans Sheldon 75 ton crane, with his friend doing the CAD work as that was what he did as a day job. However he retired a few months back and gave up doing CAD both professionally and as part of the hobby. By this time the crane was 95% complete, but the remaining 5% was critical to turning the lumps of material into a rolling crane. Hence why my friend turned to me in a bid to at least try and complete the model and make it available to all those who have expressed an interest over on the N Gauge Forum.

First task was to download and install FreeCAD. First impression was panic... the learning curve was going to be steep! - Then we stumbled on another issue. For personal reasons we couldn't get hold of the original FreeCAD files, but the parts were available as STL files. So I had to learn how to convert an STL into a range of solid components, which could then be modified. Anyway, over the course of the following weeks the small tweaks to the model were made (such as modifying the frames of all wagons to accept brass bearings), and my friend sent the files off to have a couple of test prints made.

A week or so later I received a parcel in the post. Inside there was a complete set of parts for me to assemble, including 10 metal wheel sets, and a nice etch fret with some fine detailed parts. Now up to this point my model making had been a few Airfix kits I made up as a kid some 50 years ago, and more recently, a few box van kits from the N Gauge Society, both of which came with instructions. Not to be put off I started with one of the match trucks as it was the simplest to assemble. Brass wheel bearings were glued in place, and the two halves pushed together, made simple by the design which employs a dowel and pocket arrangement.

View attachment 141338

Eventually I had a model that was 99% complete. A few areas were highlighted that needed a final tweak, which halted taking the model further, and the CAD was altered to do the final draft of the design. I didn't have any fine thread so had to use what I had available, and I wasn't really happy with this, but it would do for now.

RailTec had been drafted in to produce the transfers at an early stage in the project, however I discovered a small oversight which we are hoping will be resolved in a few weeks, so the transfers will be available for any version of the crane, be that the steam powered or diesel. However this didn't prevent me form giving the crane a test run on my layout (which hadn't seen a train run on it for several months !). The crane was extremely free running, and negotiated the tight curves and points with ease.

It had been decided form the onset that this was never going to be offered as a complete kit. The printed 3D parts would be available in two mediums, with the higher definitions option available through 3DR Designs on Shapeways. The more robust version and the etch fret would be available from my friend, but anyone wanting one of these excellent models will still need to source the transfers form RailTec and the metal wheel sets themselves. No details of pricing yet, but we hope to have that available once we've confirmed the last test build all goes together, and the updated transfers are ready. I'll update this thread as I know more

medium_5722-090823163127.jpeg

That’s a great project and it’s a really unusual thing to have on an N gauge layout. It really captures the pure heft of the real thing!

malc-c

Many thanks, and yes the rarity was what made the guys choose to model it ... My photos don't really do it justice though.

malc-c

That looks stunning- amazing work!
Thanks,

The crane can be staged in lifting mode if required. I dare say if you are an expert modeler you could modify the model so the pulleys function and raise the jib. As it is the jib is free moving and the support legs extend and retract from the side frames of crane carriage. The feet are normally stowed in transit on the real thing, but are included with the model should someone want to stage it working.

We are just sorting out a revision to the transfers and the etched parts and then the model will be made available.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just love seeing projects like this, finding a way to achieve it is really inspiring.

malc-c

Since the last post we've made a few improvements and had another test print made. My friend who started this project has painted his in red, and I thought I would share a couple of images of his progress

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-04 at 14.03.21_fcf20c5c.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-04 at 14.03.21_822a8e73.jpg

Now cameras tend to pick out details that the eye doesn't. In reality the texture doesn't look rough. Once the final niggles have been weeded out the model will be made available through Shapeways in a choice of mediums included their new ultra high def material which should make all the rivets pop !

We can see the finishing line in the distance, but still have a couple of hurdles to jump over before we cross the line, one of which is sorting out transfers in white

Status
Not open for further replies.