• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creating a Railbus (Abandoned 7/2/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper Greene

Hello! I have (for a long time) wished and hoped a Park Royal Railbus could be built. I understand to full extent the sheer scale of such a project, as I’d need parts from other railbuses, a brand new body and an AEC engine. I post this thread looking for like minded people to start a society with the long term intention of creating a Part Royal Railbus to run on heritage lines. For everyone interested please reply so. I have the funds to start a rudimentary website and newsletter. I’m down in Totnes, Devon so I won’t be able to hold meetings etc. much further out than Cornwall/Somerset and Dorset. I can probably acquire space for some parts in an old garage. As I said, please reply if you want to join. I so far have no parts and a low budget, and this is a long term project.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
Hello! I have (for a long time) wished and hoped a Park Royal Railbus could be built. I understand to full extent the sheer scale of such a project, as I’d need parts from other railbuses, a brand new body and an AEC engine. I post this thread looking for like minded people to start a society with the long term intention of creating a Part Royal Railbus to run on heritage lines. For everyone interested please reply so. I have the funds to start a rudimentary website and newsletter. I’m down in Totnes, Devon so I won’t be able to hold meetings etc. much further out than Cornwall/Somerset and Dorset. I can probably acquire space for some parts in an old garage. As I said, please reply if you want to join. I so far have no parts and a low budget, and this is a long term project.
Hi Jasper. Welcome to the forum. I wonder if a replica Park Royal body might mounted on a former pacer rolling chassis, modified as necessary/desired.

Jasper Greene

It would probably be cheaper to go to Glasgow and exhume M79971 from Patersons Tip.
I don’t think so. It was buried (not sure how deep) due to the asbestos content. That would mean asbestos removal and funds to extract it if that where even possible, thanks for the suggestion though!

Hi Jasper. Welcome to the forum. I wonder if a replica Park Royal body might mounted on a former pacer rolling chassis, modified as necessary/desired.
That probably could work, but the wheel base would be a pain. I’d also need to connect an AEC 220 BUT 150HP engine to a pacer. Now these engines are somewhat maintainable and can be priced alright, but I’m not sure how I’d cut a pacer DMS in half, cut the body off, take out the engine, fit and connect an AEC engine from a 101 or something then plop a brand new Park Royal body on. I can see how this would be fairly cost effective but the project would need to accelerate a good degree for volunteers to complete this. I feel currently a plan to create a chassis might be a better idea.

Last edited:

Brush 4

In terms purely of length and nothing else, would SR PMV or other long wheelbase parcels vans fit the bill? Obviously they would need strengthening etc.

dmncf

If I create a list, from least difficult to most difficult:
- Maintaining a heritage vehicle in working order
- Restoring a heritage vehicle from non-working to working order
- Building a 'new' heritage vehicle

I think this Railbus project is at the most difficult end of the spectrum; definitely not the best place to start. What relevant experience do you have from the least difficult end of the spectrum, for example a few years maintaining heritage vehicles on the South Devon Railway (link to their DMU page) or restoring an AEC Routemaster bus? This experience would really boost the credentials of you and your society.

Jasper Greene

I’ve acctually just had a thought about a chassis for the Park Royal Railbus project! I’m aware Nemesis rail have an old AC Cars Railbus at their site with a lot of other parts with it, which would be very much suitable for a Park Royal one. The chassis for AC Cars is exactly 19’ or 19 foot. The Park Royal one is only slightly longer at 19’ 9 & 3/4”, or 19 foot 9 and 3 quarter inches. I’ve just contacted Nemesis to find out prices but hopefully this could be the first step to a long project!

paul1609

Established Member

I think this Railbus project is at the most difficult end of the spectrum; definitely not the best place to start. What relevant experience do you have from the least difficult end of the spectrum, for example a few years maintaining heritage vehicles on the South Devon Railway (link to their DMU page) or restoring an AEC Routemaster bus? This experience would really boost the credentials of you and your society.
Without wishing to be seen to be negative I can only second what dmncf says. Getting sign off for a new passenger vehicle built to 1950s standards even where use was restricted to heritage railways would be extremely complex.

Jasper Greene

Not an actual society by the way, just an embryo! I have heavily researched this entire project back to front and I’ve chatted to the SDR about a 117 restoration on the go and how there doing that. I definitely would need some kind of help though! Nobody could single handedly fit an AEC engine that I know. I know a lot about the technical equipment of railbuses and their manufacturing process, but as I said this is an extremely long term project.

Jasper Greene

I’d just say I can probably provide a large plan etc. for the project of anyone would like that. I’d try do it by the end of the week. I am quite busy but all help would be gratefully accepted. I understand everyone’s viewpoint and understand the complexity of the project.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
This sounds like something from Scrapheap Challenge... I'd suggest asking Robert Llewellyn but these days he'd probably insist on fitting three tons of batteries!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I’ve acctually just had a thought about a chassis for the Park Royal Railbus project! I’m aware Nemesis rail have an old AC Cars Railbus at their site with a lot of other parts with it, which would be very much suitable for a Park Royal one. The chassis for AC Cars is exactly 19’ or 19 foot. The Park Royal one is only slightly longer at 19’ 9 & 3/4”, or 19 foot 9 and 3 quarter inches. I’ve just contacted Nemesis to find out prices but hopefully this could be the first step to a long project!
If you have only got limited funds to start a website and newsletter isn’t it a bit premature to be approaching Nemesis about purchasing their railbus? If you come across as a timewaster then if your project does take off at some point they are unlikely to want to deal with you again.

Gloster

Established Member
Why not just help to restore the AC Cars railbus at Nemesis Rail? It will still be a job, but it will be less work than a new-build and you are restoring an original. Frankly, who needs more than one or two examples of a type (four-wheel railbuses, not just examples of each design) that only had a fleeting worklife.

This may sound discouraging, but I have a habit of being critical of each new project. I believe that the number of volunteers and the amount of funds available is going to decline: better to concentrate resources and finish a few that have loads of half-finished projects taking money and effort, but ending up being abandoned. (Annual rant, part the first.)

Jasper Greene

In answer to the Nemesis rail question, I posed it as just asking about the state of the vehicle, not pricing, just an inquiry. And to the question/statement about new projects, I have a fascination with these railbuses and this is just a small scale thing to start with to see if there are like minded people, I have made no purchases yet or even discussed with companies about this.

nanstallon

Why is the Park Royal railbus so worthy? There are a few other railbuses, which are nearer to actually running, such as one at the Swindon - Cricklade railway, and perhaps money better spent there? I did have a ride in a Park Royal on the Speyside branch back in 1965, and I remember an Airfix kit, about the same time.

Jasper Greene

Why is the Park Royal railbus so worthy? There are a few other railbuses, which are nearer to actually running, such as one at the Swindon - Cricklade railway, and perhaps money better spent there? I did have a ride in a Park Royal on the Speyside branch back in 1965, and I remember an Airfix kit, about the same time.
I just find them very interesting, and their design is very unique among the railbuses. I find their charm unlike the other railbuses. The project will however be halted on Feb 10th if I can’t find any like minded people.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Not an actual society by the way, just an embryo! I have heavily researched this entire project back to front and I’ve chatted to the SDR about a 117 restoration on the go and how there doing that. I definitely would need some kind of help though! Nobody could single handedly fit an AEC engine that I know. I know a lot about the technical equipment of railbuses and their manufacturing process, but as I said this is an extremely long term project.

I don't know the extent of the Class 117 restoration however during the recent restoration of LSL's 'FLORA' bubble car, the unit was effectively completely rebuilt from the frames up with brand new cabs and bodysides fabricated, new windows all round and so on. This is probably more along the lines of what your project would need to achieve than the SDR's undertaking.

Jasper Greene

Not that much of a long term project then. 6 days from announcing it and attempting to form a society to abandonment.
Sadly the project isn’t gaining enough traction to continue. It would be a viable and good project if it had continued with more volunteers, but nobody else had the same thoughts. It’s okay, it was just an idea. I’ll have a new one by the months end anyway!

D365

Veteran Member
Sadly the project isn’t gaining enough traction to continue.
Have you worked in transportation, or indeed in a volunteer organisation? Six days wouldn't even be considered a blink of an eye - especially for a "free time" project.

Jasper Greene

I’ve abandoned this due to lack of support today. It’s a real shame because I thought of it as a solid idea and invested many days into it. I just hope others may think alike years ahead, and the project reborn. I won’t be answering any further questions.

skyhigh

Established Member
invested many days into it.
Honest opinion -

Things like this take years of hard work to come to fruition. If you give up after "many days" (actually 4) it seems to prove you don't have the stamina for a project of this magnitude.

Go get experience with a heritage railway, build up contacts, see how much hard work is required and then reassess your position.

Jasper Greene

Honest opinion -

Things like this take years of hard work to come to fruition. If you give up after "many days" (actually 4) it seems to prove you don't have the stamina for a project of this magnitude.

Go get experience with a heritage railway, build up contacts, see how much hard work is required and then reassess your position.
Before posting that I’d completed about half a month of research and assembled a lot of material. If all people wish to do on this post is tell me it takes longer, I know. I acknowledge every aspect of this. And yes I’m replying to this after I said I wouldn’t. I don’t think you understand that I didn’t think at that moment that I would try build a railcar. I spent many hours into nights doing research, and the project didn’t receive the support it needed. It has therefore ended. I may continue it personally as just an idea, but seeing as the internet has little to offer, it’s being withdrawn from here.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
The internet had little to offer because so did you. You had some dream and just about enough money to produce a newsletter. Basically what you were asking for is for someone else to pay for your dream of recreating some railbus virtually nobody has ever heard of.

L401CJF

Established Member
The internet had little to offer because so did you. You had some dream and just about enough money to produce a newsletter. Basically what you were asking for is for someone else to pay for your dream of recreating some railbus virtually nobody has ever heard of.
I'd also add, given this would be such a niche interest / project, it would take more than 4 days for the few people that would be interested in getting involved in something as complex and expensive as this to discover its existence. I'm sure there are some people out there, but the chances of them coming across this topic on this 1 site within just 4 days seems slim.

RJ

Established Member
Before posting that I’d completed about half a month of research and assembled a lot of material. If all people wish to do on this post is tell me it takes longer, I know. I acknowledge every aspect of this. And yes I’m replying to this after I said I wouldn’t. I don’t think you understand that I didn’t think at that moment that I would try build a railcar. I spent many hours into nights doing research, and the project didn’t receive the support it needed. It has therefore ended. I may continue it personally as just an idea, but seeing as the internet has little to offer, it’s being withdrawn from here.

To accomplish something, you need a vision to start with, which you certainly have, which is a start.

You'll need to convince people that you are serious about making this vision a reality, that means having the wherewithal and the means to make this happen.

Are you intending to cover the costs yourself?

Jasper Greene

To accomplish something, you need a vision to start with, which you certainly have, which is a start.

You'll need to convince people that you are serious about making this vision a reality, that means having the wherewithal and the means to make this happen.

Are you intending to cover the costs yourself?
I think a large portion of the costs could come from by behalf, but it would need to be spread quite evenly across others as well. As I said though, I’ve tried on quite a few platforms and it’s not working. I’ve had maybe 5 people give advice, and only 1 say they’d be interested. Most of that happened in a day or two, now it’s mostly quiet. It’s a shame but maybe/possibly might be reborn once I finish the paper on the project, now set aside because of other things.

I’m going to ignore this. I’ve had a look through your posts, and I’m trying to go and find you agreeing/supporting someone. I feel you’re finding posts and critiquing work. It’s a negative attitude to have and I’d try to get some positivity on your belt. I don’t mean offence but it makes people your critique probably ignore it. I understand that it makes sense to correct others, but it can ruin days to see you quickly slide a comment spreading negativity. You’re not the only one on the platform, but just to say. I don’t expect a reply and i’m leaving this platform. Cya

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
It's a confusing thread this, it's hard to tell whether you are serious about the project or are just fishing for attention.

If you are serious about it and say you have the funds to start a website, start it. Get active on social media and gain a following. Starting a forum thread on a Sunday and then abandoning the project by Tuesday because a load of people didn't support it within 72 hours is ridiculous.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well. It started off poorly, tailed off a bit in the middle and well, the less said about the end the better really… ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.