• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creating A Small TMD Layout using class 66's and other modern image loco's

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstgreatwest

Hi there. I am starting to design a TMD for an exhibition layout. I was wondering what do you have to have on A tmd becuase im only going to have about 6ft by 1ft to play with and any possible idea's about how i go about transporting it to exhibitions

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Heinz57

Sounds like a good plan.

You would probably want some sort of maintinence shed and a fuel road. Plus some general stabling roads for storing and shunting locos. It might be an idea to use a sort of 'cassete' system for a hidden fiddle yard.

Seeing as its 6x1, do it in two 3x1 boards, that way you will beable to fit it in the boot of a car. Have fold down legs fitted to the underframe, and if possible design the boards in such a way that they sort of 'box' together, this would mean that each board protects the scenery on the other during transit.

You could also consider DCC to save on wiring.

Take a look at my layout (link in my sig) and also 'Woodside Lane' (which is roughly about the same size as yours) by the Ilkeston Woodside MRC to gain some ideas and insperation.

Hope this helped,

Heinz

firstgreatwest

Hi Heinz

Thank you very much for this information and the links that go to the layouts that you and your group have designed. It has been Very helpful and it will help me alot. When you said ''box' together' Did you mean hinge it together so lime you said protects the scenery and also easy to storage and transport

cheers

robert

Heinz57

Hi Robert,

No problem. Happy to help!

You can either have them hinged together, or you can also have it so one board sort of bolts on top of the other (usualy with assistance from removable end plates [a square of thin ply maybe] or other removable support). I suppose it depends on the size of the layout. Whilst hinging is possible, on a 6ft layout with 3ft boards it might get a little awkword.

It makes it easyer to transport (if you also have fold in legs fitted to the boards it literaly means you only have one thing to carry for the layout. Rather than making several trips with multiple boards and trestles) and does indeed protect the layout.

Aspects of Modeling - Baseboards for Model Railways. By Ian Morton talks quite a bit about portable baseboards, I'd recomend you get it. It helped me out loads.

Hope this helped and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, I'm always happy to help!

Heinz

firstgreatwest

Hi pen mill

thank you very much for this i will look into this

is it just diesel they keep there or is it electric aswell

robert

Pen Mill

Hi , FGW , I don't think there are OHLE wires through the loco shed but there are some on the adjoining storage roads.
If you do an image search on Warrington Arpley depot, you should get a better feel for the place , good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.