• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe-Birchwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I am intending to purchase a SDR Birchwood to Crewe via Warrington at £5.65. I may need to go back to Manchester instead, so what would the correct excess fare be? Presumably this would be possible under a change of route excess? I would be ending my journey at Manchester Piccadilly if I go to Manchester.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you purchase the SDR via Warrington and need a change of route on your return journey only, the additional fare to pay will be half the difference between the "via Warrington" and "via Manchester" SDR.

In this case, that would be:

£5.65 via Warrington
£7.85 via Manchester

Difference: £2.20.
Amount you will be asked to pay for a change of route excess one way only: £1.10.

There is no penalty for obtaining this excess onboard rather than prior to travel.

Last edited:

Established Member
JakeF:1911508 said:
If you purchase the SDR via Warrington and need a change of route on your return journey only, the additional fare to pay will be half the difference between the "via Warrington" and "via Manchestter" SDR.

In this case, that would be:

£5.65 via Warrington
£7.85 via Manchester

Difference: £2.20.
Amount you will be asked to pay for a change of route excess one way only: £1.10.

There is no penalty for obtaining this excess onboard rather than prior to travel.
Is that £1.10 to come back to Birchwood? If so, I have a season ticket to Manchester from Birchwood, so would only need a ticket to Manchester.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is that £1.10 to come back to Birchwood? If so, I have a season ticket to Manchester from Birchwood, so would only need a ticket to Manchester.
Yes - the change of route excess to 'via Manchester' will allow you to go Crewe - Manchester - Birchwood on your return journey for the additional £1.10. Your season won't be needed as the excess will cover you from Manchester - Birchwood.

Established Member
For the record I got it at Birmingham International and was charged 90p for an over distance excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.