• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe Heritage Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Does anybody know what is happening at crewe hertige centre,ive heard a rumour that the council are trying to get rid of it,they state that it is no longer classed as a museum but more like a railway loco maintainance depot because of lnwr's work there.

what is wrong with this country,do they want forget the great past this country had,is it not bad enough that crewe has lost its world famous works,now it seems the local council want to try to stop any link to the railways crewe had...unless somebody knows different<(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sod that, what about the Tesco expanding?! I went there yesterday and was horrified. Although to be fair the only visible implications atm are a more narrow entrance (and more well-hidden?) to the CHC.

They better not try and get rid of it. I'd use some more words but I don't want to get banned.

Jonfun

Established Member
Do you have a source for those rumours ole_man? A quick google brings up most of the current council documents, news reports and so forth - I'd go as far as to suggest they say the contrary, in that the lease on the site that it's located on was to be sold with a condition that a heritage centre was maintained on it. Assuming Cheshire East council do indeed sell the lease.

I'm sure if anything were to happen, the powers that be at CHC and Cheshire East council would make it known publicly via websites and such.

Jon

It's not strictly on-topic but is City Of Truro there right now? I saw a nondescript kettle sitting behind a breakdown train, noted 3717 as its number then realised its significance...when I got home. I've always wanted to see this loco and was a bit underwhelmed when I realised i photted it half under a tarpaulin with no tender well out of sight.

Bon Accord

"nondescript kettle":lol::lol:

I hope you have your asbestos suit and tin hat ready - the G*R mafia won't be happy!:D

All Line Rover

Established Member
Sod that, what about the Tesco expanding?! I went there yesterday and was horrified. Although to be fair the only visible implications atm are a more narrow entrance (and more well-hidden?) to the CHC.

They better not try and get rid of it. I'd use some more words but I don't want to get banned.

It's about time Tesco expanded their Crewe store! :roll: It's far too small for such a large town!

Even so, I don't think Tesco have any intention of doing away with the Heritage Centre. The new Tesco store will take up the same amount of land as the current one - they are simply building it ON TOP of the car park and current store (ground level will be a larger car park).

ole man

It was in the local crewe chronicle a few weeks ago, would be a utter disgrace if it was to close down, though it doesn't get the visitors it deserve's.

Whilst i'm having a go at the local council, why will they not allow LNWR to have a road sign telling people where there depot is?you could easily miss the dirt track that leads to the depot

Stuwhu

Main problem is local council is now Cheshire East (not Crewe and Nantwich), which is run from Macclesfield and Crewe is very much the poor relation.

Cheshire East's town hall is in Sandbach not Macclesfield.

pappleby

I understood that 'City of Truro' is at the Great Central Railway (Nottingham).

well this 'non descript kettle-"CITY OF TRURO" bows out at August Bank Holiday The National Railway Museum's famous Great Western Railway 4-4-0 "City of Truro" (fabled to be the first locomotive to achieve 100mph),

is due to operate it's final GCRN services over the August Bank Holiday (Sun and Mon).

It was in the local crewe chronicle a few weeks ago, would be a utter disgrace if it was to close down, though it doesn't get the visitors it deserve's.

Whilst i'm having a go at the local council, why will they not allow LNWR to have a road sign telling people where there depot is?you could easily miss the dirt track that leads to the depot

I saw one when I was there.

Here's some piccies of CoT: (last saturday)

DSC09381.jpg

DSC09380.jpg

DSC09379.jpg

And a still image from a drive-by filming, today:
CHC248112.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.