• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe Platform 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurencew

I have read the "Changes at Crewe" thread with interest, but I cannot see why the Chester shuttles have been largely switched to platform 10. Of course this is the only platform nit to have a canopy, presumably when the station was last refurbished, its regular use was not envisaged. There appears to be no corresponding alternative users of platform 9, which mainly remains empty, although it is used for some Chester bound services early in the morning and in the evening.
Anyone got a definite answer to this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver_m

Established Member
Using 10 means a train can depart from there, and something else can arrive from the Chester direction into either pl6 or 9. Using 9 to depart blocks anything arriving in the Up direction. It could be that. Have a look to see if there are are any timed moves coming up that would suggest a timing conflict if using 9 .

Arriva 175

The use of platform 10 for TFW services is as the result of a near miss. People in general nowadays have zero spacial awareness or regard for anything when they are listening to music or looking at phones. Not really very good when an inbound LNW service on platform 6 nearly takes their arm off. Platform 10 is away from anything coming and separated from 11 by a wall for most of its length. The majority of people will suffer no canopy because of it but safety is more important.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
They are certainly more insistent about staying inside the yellow lines at Crewe these days, and even the "red zone" (inside the yellow one) at Piccadilly P13/14.

330/321Pilot

I was on P13 this morning at Piccadilly and they were certainly enforcing the red zone. First time I’d seen it.

LowLevel

Established Member
I was on P13 this morning at Piccadilly and they were certainly enforcing the red zone. First time I’d seen it.

They've got a bunch of shouty agency people that are an utter pain in the backside and present no benefit whatsoever.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They are certainly more insistent about staying inside the yellow lines at Crewe these days, and even the "red zone" (inside the yellow one) at Piccadilly P13/14.

Previously yellow lines were just to ensure you weren't knocked off the platform by a passing high speed train. Their purpose has changed (in accordance with their spread to stations where all trains stop) to keeping a clear corridor for dispatch so the driver/guard can see if anything is trapped in the doors before dispatching. Sometimes safety features have a benefit that wasn't envisaged when they were invented :)

13/14 is a joke and needs a proper solution, i.e. either 15/16 or a reduction of about a third in trains using it.

Previously yellow lines were just to ensure you weren't knocked off the platform by a passing high speed train. Their purpose has changed (in accordance with their spread to stations where all trains stop) to keeping a clear corridor for dispatch so the driver/guard can see if anything is trapped in the doors before dispatching. Sometimes safety features have a benefit that wasn't envisaged when they were invented :)

13/14 is a joke and needs a proper solution, i.e. either 15/16 or a reduction of about a third in trains using it.

I agree with final suggestion. It’s not helped though when every man and his dog wants a service to the airport for some bizarre reason.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree with final suggestion. It’s not helped though when every man and his dog wants a service to the airport for some bizarre reason.

It is quite bizarre that once a year for your hollibobs to Malaga, or a couple of times for some business trips, seems to be widely considered more important than getting to work on time on a daily basis or not having to stand up all the way across the Pennines while half-empty Class 185s waste their time clogging up the line to the Airport and preventing it having the proper Merseyrail-style 4tph local service it deserves.

It is quite bizarre that once a year for your hollibobs to Malaga, or a couple of times for some business trips, seems to be widely considered more important than getting to work on time on a daily basis or not having to stand up all the way across the Pennines while half-empty Class 185s waste their time clogging up the line to the Airport and preventing it having the proper Merseyrail-style 4tph local service it deserves.

Spot on; increased metrolink, bus services and dedicated Manchester Stations to the airport shuttles are what is needed. Not this obscene scenario we currently have, which seems to be showing no sign of changing any time soon.

driver_m

Established Member
Can we take our whinge about Airport trains to the appropriate thread please. This is about Crewe Pl.10.

_toommm_

Established Member

07:29 Transpennine service from Lancaster to the Airport express leaves the station, I step forward as my train is next, and always is (the 07:33 to Crewe) - cue shouting and screaming from some old man about a silly red line, a lecture that one day I'll end up under a train and then I'll be sorry, and a reassurance I'll get no help when it happens.

Wonderful...

Status
Not open for further replies.