• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe to Hereford day return

peteb

I'd like to do a Crewe to Hereford day return going via Shrewsbury, return via Birmingham. Fare is showing off peak return £33.90 with senior Railcard. But there's no route advice on my app (Northern). Usually it says "any permitted" or "via xyz". Can use it to do the trip I propose?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
At a glance it looks like an Off-Peak Return to Worcester would be valid this way? This would be £38.20.

jfollows

Established Member
At a glance it looks like an Off-Peak Return to Worcester would be valid this way? This would be £38.20.
I could be wrong but unless it’s the shortest route, maps BJ + HB don’t allow Crewe-Hereford-Worcester. But a Crewe-Great Malvern ticket may be valid both ways.
Worcester and Hereford are the routeing points for Great Malvern and both pass the fares check from Crewe.

Last edited:

HurdyGurdy

I make the shortest route from Crewe to Worcester (Foregate St) to be 78.32 miles (via Bromsgrove). The route via Hereford is 112.21 miles, so not the shortest or within 3 miles of.

I think Crewe to Great Malvern works route-wise. The fare would be £42.95 (Off-Peak Return) but it comes with the 8A restriction, which in principle means no break of journey at Hereford.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
which in principle means no break of journey at Hereford.
Although in practice I would be very surprised if the barrier staff even know about the restriction, let alone attempt to enforce it.

mangyiscute

Established Member
From what I can see, it is cheaper to buy a Stafford to Hereford return for £27.30, which is valid via both Birmingham (maps BV+HB) or via Crewe and Shrewsbury (map MC), and then purchase a Crewe to Stafford single for £8.90 (or £8.80 on avanti) for a total of £36.20.
As every Crewe to Birmingham train now stops at Stafford, there is no issue with the split ticket.