• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Agreed. she is very good. I think she also appears on Sky and on the Channel 5 highlights show.
She's been on the Channel 5 highlights show, because otherwise I wouldn't have heard of her. I've liked what little I've seen of her on there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that a few years ago, TMS became almost a parody of itself, and lost a lot of listeners because of it, so I can understand Busaholic's views.

I was never very keen on Henry Blofeld, because he cultivated the "Blowers" image when he didn't need to as he was / is very knowledgeable about the game. I remember being at Old Trafford years ago watching England v West Indies and listening to TMS, and he kept banging on about a light aircraft that was circling the ground.

The tea interval arrived, and it emerged that in the plane were a parachute team from the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry who were going to drop in to present a cheque to The Lord's Taverners. They had to fly around quite a but to make sure that the wind was okay - after all, it wouldn't have been a good thing if they'd landed in the other Old Trafford, would it? - but Blowers kept complaining that they were disturbing play (which they weren't). He could have asked who they were, but didn't (or wouldn't?) and if he had, he could have given them some good publicity, but wasted the opportunity to do so in my book.

As I've said, he didn't need to do what he did as much as he did, and I wasn't too sad when he disappeared on his No. 12 bus.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh dear. It appears I'm well wide of the consensus in my opinions on commentators! Not a fan of Boycott and nor indeed of Isha Guha on commentary. Not quite sure why but something about them just doesn't agree with me! I do enjoy the rest of the TMS team on the whole though (and I've been slowly coming back to TMS having given up on it a few years ago, I think it was Blowers that drove me over the edge).

The Sky team are fairly solid as well on the whole and I've been really enjoying Ricky Ponting of late. I was, however, very disappointed to read that David Gower is being dropped by Sky. I do think that's a serious misstep personally (though I'm less torn up by the widely expected departure of Beefy from Sky).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh dear. It appears I'm well wide of the consensus in my opinions on commentators! Not a fan of Boycott and nor indeed of Isha Guha on commentary. Not quite sure why but something about them just doesn't agree with me! I do enjoy the rest of the TMS team on the whole though (and I've been slowly coming back to TMS having given up on it a few years ago, I think it was Blowers that drove me over the edge).

The Sky team are fairly solid as well on the whole and I've been really enjoying Ricky Ponting of late. I was, however, very disappointed to read that David Gower is being dropped by Sky. I do think that's a serious misstep personally (though I'm less torn up by the widely expected departure of Beefy from Sky).

I quite like Boycott. He is a massive pita and a grumpy old so and so but he is right almost every time he comments on batting technique and approach. I also quote liked Blowers and think he was part of that very British thing that TMS has going on., It is often a conversation about any old nonsense into which a cricket match occasionally interjects! It was time for Blowers to go but he is missed.

I cant comment on Sky as i refuse to pay for them!

Pakenhamtrain

I quite like Boycott. He is a massive pita and a grumpy old so and so but he is right almost every time he comments on batting technique and approach. I also quote liked Blowers and think he was part of that very British thing that TMS has going on., It is often a conversation about any old nonsense into which a cricket match occasionally interjects! It was time for Blowers to go but he is missed.

I cant comment on Sky as i refuse to pay for them!
Boycott works well with Agnew. It's like the relationship between Bill Lawry and Tony Greig.

I can remember last Ashes down here Blowers finished his stint on Macquarie and went onto the BBC. Blowers forgot what station he was on and ended utted out "And the score on the KFC scoreboard"

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Blowers, Johnners, Aggers - it was that sort of infantile stuff that really got me, like being back at prep school, though thankfully I never found out for myself. With Boycott, on batting he really does know what he's talking about, and it does bear repetition sometimes: I don't think he comments on bowling very much except in a general way. Michael Vaughan is always worth hearing from too. 'Tuffers' is a likeable guy and actually more knowledgeable than he lets on, or used to. This listening was all done on my iplayer during the last tour down under, rather than to domestic TMS.

Pakenhamtrain

Today is the 137th year since England Cricket died.

Tuffers' is a likeable guy and actually more knowledgeable than he lets on, or used to. This listening was all done on my iplayer during the last tour down under, rather than to domestic TMS.
Tuffers is a funny bugger.

Skull down here is a funny bugger as well.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that Sir Geoffrey has mellowed somewhat since he's recovered from cancer.

He certainly seems to me to be a lot more mellow and less dogmatic. That's not to say that he's moderated his views, he hasn't done that, but he sounds more willing to accept other people's opinions - especially when he thinks that they're wrong!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the rest of the series.
If that's the case then, sadly, that's the end of his test career. Now we have to ensure that Jofra Archer (a) doesn't get overbowled and (b) isn't expected to get tons of wickets every innings, or, indeed, every match. Mark Wood is never going to be a regular, Olly Stone, Tom Curran and Josh Tongue are injured, Craig Overton blows hot and cold. Toby Roland-Jones and Sam Curran deserve renewed opportunities and imo Ollie Robinson of Sussex and Carse of Durham need investigating.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm disappointed in the England team management's response to results so far: disappointed, but not surprised. It could so easily be 2-0 to the Aussies now, and the Ashes lost, but thanks to a staggeringly magnificent performance from one player allied to a massive supply of good luck and poor umpiring we're still in with a chance. So, any admission that choosing Jason Roy for the test side has been a huge mistake? No, of course not, his technique will be miraculously improved by batting at no. 4 instead, Joe Root's preferred position. Craig Overton is drafted in on the basis of what? Somerset's big lead in Division 1 county cricket has been eroded by Essex, and C. Overton has done nothing of note. In fact, Jamie Overton, his brother, has performed better and bowls faster. Overton's previous test experience was better on the batting side than the bowling side, and I fail to see why he should be in the picture at all.

With Australia, there'll be at least one change in the next test, with Steve Smith coming back, but I can't see Labuschagne losing his place. Khawaja was employed as opener in the recent game v Derbyshire with some success, and I wouldn't be surprised if he opened with Warner. Starc impressed in that game too, as did the unknown Michael Neser, and Cummins may be due a game off with back-to-back tests coming up. Starc doing a Wasim Akram at Old Trafford? The Aussies might hope so.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why are us English called the Poms? Where did the name come from?

I was told by an Aussie former colleague that it was because pomegranate was slag down under for immigrant. Another Aussie friend told me it was because of English people have skin like a pomegranate and burn easily in the intense sun in Australia

I suspect it is pick one from any number of explanations and no one really knows the answer!

Karl

On Moderation
I was told by an Aussie former colleague that it was because pomegranate was slag down under for immigrant. Another Aussie friend told me it was because of English people have skin like a pomegranate and burn easily in the intense sun in Australia

I suspect it is pick one from any number of explanations and no one really knows the answer!

Cheers @DarloRich , I can see the sense now! I'm more surprised I've got my age without knowing the origin. I like it!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Apples (pommes) were much more likely to be coloured red in days gone by - green apples were either cookers or for the horses. Tastes change! A deeply red apple could be described as 'florid' which might chime with a prejudice amongst the Aussies that all English people had a florid complexion

P.S. Might Australians then be thought of as 'pommes frites' i.e. chippy? Just a thought!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i wonder how much play we get in the test from Old Trafford? Manchester. September? Not going to rain...........................

Pakenhamtrain

You can stick a fork in Warner. He looks done. Being from NSW he'll get another 50 chances.

Honestly he would contribute more this series carrying the drinks.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Honours relatively even so far after the first session. Australia made it to 98 which is about what you'd expect from an average session but England picked up a couple of wickets.

Next session is big. If Lambshanks and Smith bat the session then England are in trouble.