• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Phirstman

Although we could have got a few more runs, the Bowlers have to take the flack for this one.

Totally clueless on how to take wickets of high quality batsman which is crucial in any Cricket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Plucky Scotland may be out of the World Cup now, but they put up a good batting performance against Bangladesh, whose win means England must beat Bangla if they are to progress.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Plucky Scotland may be out of the World Cup now, but they put up a good batting performance against Bangladesh, whose win means England must beat Bangla if they are to progress.

Wardlaw is supposed to be one of Scotland's main strike bowlers, but his last two World Cup bowling returns have been....

9.1 - 0 - 61 - 0..............v. Bangladesh

9.3 - 0 - 75 - 1..............v. Afghanistan

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Wardlaw is supposed to be one of Scotland's main strike bowlers, but his last two World Cup bowling returns have been....

9.1 - 0 - 61 - 0..............v. Bangladesh

9.3 - 0 - 75 - 1..............v. Afghanistan

Scotland's bowlers were never going to strike fear in the opposition, none of them even being of county standard: their only hope of a win, even against another minnow, would probably be to post a very good score and do just enough to defend it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
West Indies 182 all out (44.2 overs)
Holder 57 (3 x 6 / 4 x 4)

Shami 8-2-35-3

India 185-6 (39.1 overs)

West Indies were give a sense of scoreline respectability as they were 85-7 at one time until Holder played a good late-order innings.

All that said, India achieved the required target with almost 11 overs to spare.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Pakistan's win over SA and Ireland's narrow win over Zimbabwe mean that whoever wins the Pakistan v Ireland match goes forward to the quarter finals. Ed Joyce scored a fine century at no.3, rubbing yet more salt in England's wounds.

David

Established Member
More proof that the D/L method needs to be changed after last night. Pakistan scored 222 in 46.4 overs as the match was reduced to 47 overs a side because of rain. However, South Africa had to chase a total of 232 to win from their 47 overs :s

Busaholic

Veteran Member
More proof that the D/L method needs to be changed after last night. Pakistan scored 222 in 46.4 overs as the match was reduced to 47 overs a side because of rain. However, South Africa had to chase a total of 232 to win from their 47 overs :s

Sounds fair enough to me.

DownSouth

Established Member
Sounds fair enough to me.
I agree, it's fair compensation for Pakistan having their innings shortened after it had begun so they would lose some of the valuable slog overs at the end. Had they known their innings would be shorter, their middle order would have started going for the big shots earlier instead of saving them for the last few overs which were lost to rain.

South Africa had the advantage of knowing they could use up their wickets faster right from the start of their innings, and so they got set a target with a slightly higher run rate to give the Pakistani bowlers a fair go.

There have been a few matches over the years where the D/L method has had a negative effect, but this was certainly not one of them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Then 10 run differential requirement from two more balls in the last three overs of an innings obviously assumes these would come from a 6 and a 4.
What on earth are you on about?

The interruption happened in the 42nd over, with the revised total for South Africa being calculated according to the batting 'resources' (wickets and overs) used up by Pakistan at the time of the interruption, and the amount of the remaining resources lost in the interruption. What did or did not happen in the 47th over of Pakistan's innings (they lost their final wicket) is immaterial.

Had they been nine wickets down when the game was interrupted, South Africa would only have had one or two runs added to the total. If they had more wickets in hand ready for a big slog in the last seven overs (which became the last four overs), more runs would have been added.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What on earth are you on about?

Do I sense an antipodean lack of cognitive emoticon understanding?
Pakistan's win over SA and Ireland's narrow win over Zimbabwe mean that whoever wins the Pakistan v Ireland match goes forward to the quarter finals. Ed Joyce scored a fine century at no.3, rubbing yet more salt in England's wounds.

In the Ireland innings, much credit should go to the contribution of Balbirne who continued after the departure of Joyce with 97 from 79 balls scoring 4 x 6 and 7 x 4 in the process and batted with the correct mindset that was required. He was the last Irish player to be dismissed.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Do I sense an antipodean lack of cognitive emoticon understanding?

In the Ireland innings, much credit should go to the contribution of Balbirne who continued after the departure of Joyce with 97 from 79 balls scoring 4 x 6 and 7 x 4 in the process and batted with the correct mindset that was required. He was the last Irish player to be dismissed.

Balbirnie has been something of a revelation. Cusack's bowling too in this match, Zimbabwe would have created yet another record winning score batting second in a World Cup match if he hadn't got those two wickets with the first and third balls of the final over.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Afghanistan 186 all out (47.4 overs)
N.Zadran 56 (2 x 6 / 8 x 4)
Shenwari 54 (1 x 6 / 5 x 4)

Vettori 10-4-18-4

New Zealand 188-4 (36.1 overs)
Guptill 57 (7 x 4)

The notable features of this match were the excellent bowling return of Vettori and the fight back from total collapse by Afghanistan from a position of 59-6 at one stage, with two of their batsmen then making 50's.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Couple of other points from the Afghanistan game:-

1) Afg's score was a lot better than either England or Australia managed against the same opponents, NZ.
2) Vettori has easily the most economical bowling rate (3.00) of any bowler who's taken 10 or more wickets in the comp, the 2nd best being one of the Afg bowlers with a rate of 3.66.

DownSouth

Established Member
Big match for the future of English cricket at Adelaide Oval today.

If Bangladesh win, England will get eliminated at the same stage as such great cricketing nations as Scotland and the UAE, which is certainly not what they were looking for when they requested the 2014-15 Ashes be shifted forward a year to allow them better World Cup preparation.

Should they get knocked out of the World Cup by Bangladesh for the second consecutive time, I do not expect that Morgan will play for England again in any format of the game, while Bell and Broad will not play ODI cricket again as the team looks to bring in younger players to rebuild the team ahead of the important home World Cup in 2019.

I would not regard a Bangladesh win as a surprise today, they've won two of their last three ODI matches against England (including knocking England out of the 2011 World Cup) and they have four spinners in the side ready to choke the English batsmen tonight.
Mahmudullah just became the first batsman to score a World Cup century for Bangladesh, enthusiastically supported by the crowd which is probably about 70% Bangladesh supporters, 15% England supporters and 15% neutral.

They have batted very well, and 4/226 with a pair of settled batsmen at the crease looks like a very good position when there are still six overs of batting to come. Even if they collapsed for less than 20, I'd still back their bowlers to win the match tonight.
Innings over, 7/275 is a genuinely good total which can be defended on merit without relying on England messing up the chase.

I rode my bike to the game today so the innings break will be long enough to leave the ground, get to somewhere offering better food and get back again in time for the innings to start again. Hopefully not too many places are closed due to paying high public holiday rates!

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Come on Bangladesh, stick it up 'em, a thumping England defeat is exactly what we need.

DownSouth

Established Member
Buttler and Root in at the moment so Bangladesh need just one wicket to get into the tail, 115 runs needed from 15 overs. I can't really see England lifting their run rate to the required 7.66 and maintaining it for 15 overs, and I expect at least two wickets in the five over powerplay coming up.

The Bangladesh fans in front of us just laughed off a couple of England supporters as they surrendered before the team did and left early.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Buttler and Root in at the moment so Bangladesh need just one wicket to get into the tail, 115 runs needed from 15 overs. I can't really see England lifting their run rate to the required 7.66 and maintaining it for 15 overs, and I expect at least two wickets in the five over powerplay coming up.

The Bangladesh fans in front of us just laughed off a couple of England supporters as they surrendered before the team did and left early.

Root just out....Now 163-6.

(All now rests on how Buttler deals with the situation)

DownSouth

Established Member
Sure enough, first over of the powerplay sees Root on his way.
Root just out....Now 163-6.

(All now rests on how Buttler deals with the situation)
He's going to have to take responsibility for it to have a hope of even batting out the 50 overs, let alone winning.

Putting Woakes on strike on the second ball and letting him take a three on the final ball is not an example of taking responsibility for it.

I hope Broad and Jordan are paying attention, the Bangladesh bowlers are putting on a class in how to bowl to your field.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
65 needed in 42 balls, 4 wickets left - I think England will do it, but will I be cheering? They thoroughly deserve to be sent home at the first opportunity. What will be Morgan's message after today (personal score, 0 from 3 balls)

DownSouth

Established Member
Buttler out.

Jordan coming in at 9, ahead of Broad who was as high as 8 earlier in the tournament.

Searle

Established Member
That was a horrible decision (I mean horribly close, not necessarily a wrong one), I get that it was close but jesus christ that's mean from the third umpire

DownSouth

Established Member
And he goes first ball on a very close run out, due to not sliding his bat in flat!
Given that Buttler did enough to get it to within slogging distance, it should be mentioned that a tie is as good as a Bangladesh win so far as qualification is concerned.
It's over, Bangladesh have knocked England out of the World Cup for the second time in a row!

The crowd is loving it, even the Indian fans weren't this loud.