• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

SteveM70

Established Member
Matt’s issue issue is that he has no variations. He could do with a quicker ball and at a push a googly. There’s very few left arm spinners I can get too excited about, and Callum Parkinson is absolutely one I can’t claim to hold in too high regard

Callum has a couple of variations but over recent years has suffered from the lack of quality around him, coming on to bowl earlier than ideal for a spinner, and/or facing well-set batsmen and teams 200+ for not very many and batting with confidence

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
Callum has a couple of variations but over recent years has suffered from the lack of quality around him, coming on to bowl earlier than ideal for a spinner, and/or facing well-set batsmen and teams 200+ for not very many and batting with confidence
Perhaps the unfortunate reality of playing at Leicestershire.

Hope Rehan looks to test himself at a Div 1 club soon as playing Derbyshire and Sussex doesn’t seem like a proper reflection of quality. Obviously a Test 5-fer speaks for itself but he needs to put in consistent performances against better players.

Good to see Ben Mike moving to Yorks, really starting to be valuable in the T20s and if he doesn’t get the Hundred call he’ll be good in the One Day Cup. Work to do in 4 day but slight extra pace could prove a difference if
he finds some second team form late in the season

SteveM70

Established Member
Perhaps the unfortunate reality of playing at Leicestershire.

Hope Rehan looks to test himself at a Div 1 club soon as playing Derbyshire and Sussex doesn’t seem like a proper reflection of quality. Obviously a Test 5-fer speaks for itself but he needs to put in consistent performances against better players.

Good to see Ben Mike moving to Yorks, really starting to be valuable in the T20s and if he doesn’t get the Hundred call he’ll be good in the One Day Cup. Work to do in 4 day but slight extra pace could prove a difference if
he finds some second team form late in the season

Not so much the unfortunate reality of playing at Leicestershire as the unfortunate reality of playing in a two-tier system built on accidents of history and allowed - or encouraged - by the ECB to stay that way

Rehan is best where he is - pretty much guaranteed to play every game and with people around him who know him and will nurture and support him

Ben Mike I'm a lot less sure about, and was one of the few to leave Leicestershire for the bigger clubs that I wasn't that sorry to see go. Yes, he's quicker than most, but his control is pretty woeful and his batting is poor. He's a number 10, not an 8

HST43257

Established Member
Not so much the unfortunate reality of playing at Leicestershire as the unfortunate reality of playing in a two-tier system built on accidents of history and allowed - or encouraged - by the ECB to stay that way

Rehan is best where he is - pretty much guaranteed to play every game and with people around him who know him and will nurture and support him
True, he needs guarantees - but he’s not going to develop much with a poor system thanks to the ECB as you say

Ben Mike I'm a lot less sure about, and was one of the few to leave Leicestershire for the bigger clubs that I wasn't that sorry to see go. Yes, he's quicker than most, but his control is pretty woeful and his batting is poor. He's a number 10, not an 8
Agreed on the whole, but he brings a good all round game to the Yorks T20 team, with some big hitting and good pace (lack of control can go down as variations in T20). Yorks now boast all rounders Revis, Wiese, Thompson and Mike in their Middle/Lower Order. Shame we don’t have any attacking keepers without Bairstow and Kohler-Cadmore, or we’d have a fairly complete side.

Mikey C

Established Member
Playing in Div 2 hasn't done Ollie Robinson and Matthew Potts any harm in terms of being called up for England.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Meanwhile in the World Test Championship final India find themselves in all sorts of bother. Having won the toss and putting Australia in to bat they went on to amass 469 all out with Smith making 121 and Head 163 with the whole innings rattling along at 3.86 runs per over. India in reply are 151 for 5 leading into day three. This is especially concerning for me as I've got a ticket for day four and increasingly fear that there may not be much cricket to be seen!! Though considering my skin complexion and the weather forecast that might not be a terrible outcome from a comfort perspective :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Meanwhile in the World Test Championship final India find themselves in all sorts of bother. Having won the toss and putting Australia in to bat they went on to amass 469 all out with Smith making 121 and Head 163 with the whole innings rattling along at 3.86 runs per over. India in reply are 151 for 5 leading into day three. This is especially concerning for me as I've got a ticket for day four and increasingly fear that there may not be much cricket to be seen!! Though considering my skin complexion and the weather forecast that might not be a terrible outcome from a comfort perspective :lol:
Today's play should reassure you about getting a full day's worth - mind, if Australia had held their chances, it might have been a different picture. I suspect you might see a batting masterclass from Marnus tomorrow if he can find some to support him. A declaration would seem unlikely. I'll be interested in how Jadeja does as a bowler, especially as the last Ashes test will take place here in a comparatively short period of time. Hope Jacks get in as many overs as possible with Surrey in the meantime.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Today's play should reassure you about getting a full day's worth - mind, if Australia had held their chances, it might have been a different picture. I suspect you might see a batting masterclass from Marnus tomorrow if he can find some to support him. A declaration would seem unlikely. I'll be interested in how Jadeja does as a bowler, especially as the last Ashes test will take place here in a comparatively short period of time. Hope Jacks get in as many overs as possible with Surrey in the meantime.
Indeed, it was strange to see the number of missed catches by Australia.

**********************************************************************************************************************

On day 4, Australia were 167-6 in their second innings and Starc had come in to join Green. Together they put on a stand of 93 before Starc was dismissed for 41 and they had taken the score on to 260-7 and losing another wicket, they declared with their score of 270 for 8 declared, setting India a target of 444 to win.

India in their second innings had 40 overs to face and at close of play, they had reached 164-3. This means that India still need another 280 runs or Australia to take a further seven wickets to win.

Have I read correctly that this is a six-day match?

Last edited:

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Scott Boland scares me. This Australia teams is the best side of the world and I think its the best Aussie side for the last 20 years.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Scott Boland scares me. This Australia teams is the best side of the world and I think it’s the best Aussie side for the last 20 years.

Not sure about that. Last 10 perhaps.

The first test will be fascinating. If Bazball works - brilliant. If it doesnt…

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Anyone prepared to make a prediction? I'm going to say another 2-2, though if I had to come down in favour of one I think it'd have to be Australia. We mustn't expect Mooen Ali to suddenly become Superman - I'm actually surprised he's in the team for Edgbaston considering England spinners' record atthis ground in the last few years. It was also the only test he played in the 2019 series. Stokes may say he's going to play a full part in the bowling attack, but will he be able to? Mark Wood being omitted seems strange, but maybe he's expected to do a Jofra Archer come the Lords test, which is abig ask. England will be hoping Boland will be left out today but I fear that won't happen. I expect Starc to be the loser, but could there be room for Mitchell Marsh in the side and.if so at whose expense? He's a cricketer who punches above his weight.

Pakenhamtrain

Scott Boland scares me. This Australia teams is the best side of the world and I think its the best Aussie side for the last 20 years.
20 years ago there was Warne, McGrath, Lee, Ponting, Waugh, Gilchrist and so on.

With the cricket on channel 9 we get to hear this banger again.

A ball falling 3m short of the slips on day one of the test match off a genuine nick. Yea that's not a good pitch.

Last edited:

Pakenhamtrain

This pitch isn't the English pitches that normally get rolled out. Batsmen can throw thier arms at it knowing it's not doing anything. It's no risk batting.

That wicket before lunch was so bad a howler I could tell it was out. And I had changed channels to watch the last quarter of the Brisbane vs Sydney Aussie Rules game.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
falling apart slightly England - 176-5

The first test will be fascinating. If Bazball works - brilliant. If it doesnt…
Always the issue with the Bazball: it is fantastic, fun, exciting but we cant play any other way now. All the players are thrashers. There is no one who can become a limpet and just refuse to move.

Marnus Labuschagne & Steve (the cheat) Smith will just drop anchor and score about a 1000 on this pitch. Neither will try a reverse sweep off their first ball! Somehow we have to get them out twice on this pitch.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Don’t understand people saying Brook was unlucky. Surely rule one of batting is “watch the ball all the time”?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The England Women's team are playing a three-day warm-up match against Australia Women "A" and at the end of the second day, in reply to Australia Women "A" score of 221 all out, England Women showed that they too could emulate the men's new scoring regime and after 114 overs, they had reached 611-7......
Beaumont (retired out) 201 (1 x 6 and 31 x 4)
Jones 88 (2 x 6 and 11 x 4)
Dunkley 84 (13 x 4)
Scriver-Blunt 76 (12 x 4)
Knight 72 (1 x 6 and 12 x 4)

Mikey C

Established Member
The England Women's team are playing a three-day warm-up match against Australia Women "A" and at the end of the second day, in reply to Australia Women "A" score of 221 all out, England Women showed that they too could emulate the men's new scoring regime and after 114 overs, they had reached 611-7......
Beaumont (retired out) 201 (1 x 6 and 31 x 4)
Jones 88 (2 x 6 and 11 x 4)
Dunkley 84 (13 x 4)
Scriver-Blunt 76 (12 x 4)
Knight 72 (1 x 6 and 12 x 4)
Typical cheating Aussies, sending over a rubbish A team to ensure we don't get any decent practice :D

Pakenhamtrain

Bazball reminds me of the middle bits of an ODI.

falling apart slightly England - 176-5

Always the issue with the Bazball: it is fantastic, fun, exciting but we cant play any other way now. All the players are thrashers. There is no one who can become a limpet and just refuse to move.

Marnus Labuschagne & Steve (the cheat) Smith will just drop anchor and score about a 1000 on this pitch. Neither will try a reverse sweep off their first ball! Somehow we have to get them out twice on this pitch.
If Warner makes any sort of any runs on this pitch then it's a dud.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The forward forecasted weather does not bode well for this test match if it does appear to go the full five days.

Typical cheating Aussies, sending over a rubbish A team to ensure we don't get any decent practice :D
Amazingly, matters were no better for Australia Women in the 3-day match against England Women "A" and at the end of the second day, in reply to the Australia Women score of 284 all out, England Women "A" were 562-9, with notable batting centuries by Winfield-Hill with 106 (17 x 4) and by Schofield with 102 (17 x 4),

Last edited: