• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cromford & High Peak Railway - Passenger Carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
I had read in a number of places that the C&HPR never offered an "official" passenger service, just allowed locals to ride in the guards van, but I recently purchased the book "The Cromford & High Peak Railway" by A Rimmer (©The Oakwood Press, 1985). What it has to say suggests that it was a bit more official than that:

By this same Act (of 1855) the company was given power to inaugurate a passenger service. This was done and passengers were carried on certain trains until, towards the end of the 1870s, an unfortunate person was killed as the result of an accident and the company discontinued the service soon afterwards. There had been a passenger service prior to this, provided by Messrs G Wheatcroft under contract, and which had operated from May 1833.

The …. (April 1874 timetable included) … one train daily throughout the length of the line in each direction. These trains included the "fly" coach carrying passengers …… who, however, had to trudge up and down the various inclines.

The book includes a picture of a train with the "fly coach" attached (unfortunately at the far end of the train) and also a description by one F. S. Williams of a journey over the line in 1877 as a passenger in which he describes the fly as "like an old omnibus".

Does anybody know more and in particular whether the service was advertised and what the stopping points were?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The February 1863 Bradshaw reprint (no longer available) doesn't include the C&HPR.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
OT, but as a small child I remember seeing a steam loco on Friden bridge very occasionally.

I guess approx 1966/67?

When it closed, passengers took to the last train stood in open goods wagons.

Status
Not open for further replies.