• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country MD gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 9

Just been announced, XC MD Tom Joyner has stepped down with immediate effect.
Sorry don't have a link,yet.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Tom Joyner isn't it?
Correct:

Shock departure of CrossCountry Trains MD, Tom Joyner​

Just heard that Tom Joyner has left CrossCountry Trains with Immediate effect. HR director Zoe Kennedy said “It has been agreed with Tom Joyner that he will stand down as Managing Director with immediate effect” adding that Joyner will now “pursue other opportunities”.
Ms Kennedy continued by saying: “The recruitment process for a new MD will now begin, while we continue to concentrate on delivering high performing services for customers and communities across Great Britain. Julian Edwards and Scott Maynard will share the role of Managing Director on an interim basis while a permanent appointment is sought. They have both been working for us for several months and have developed knowledge and insight on the strengths and challenges of the business.” Ms Kennedy went on to say “Moving through this period of change, the focus of the business will remain firmly on delivering our vision to provide a dynamic, high-performing train service for the customers and and communities who rely on our network.”

I wonder what's caused that? Rowing with the DfT overlords or something else? Felt like only a few weeks ago he was unveiling XC's new plan for the future!

Russel

Trying to run a TOC with some rather large issues with your hands tied behind your back can't have been an easy job...

Senex

Established Member
Zoe Kennedy, in the quotation in post #3: "... we continue to concentrate on delivering high performing services for customers and communities across Great Britain ..."

Can "services" really be qualified by "high-performing" when talking of CrossCountry?

DelW

Established Member
Zoe Kennedy, in the quotation in post #3: "... we continue to concentrate on delivering high performing services for customers and communities across Great Britain ..."

Can "services" really be qualified by "high-performing" when talking of CrossCountry?

Only in the upside-down fantasy world of PR-speak.

"Pursue other opportunities" (or similar) was the standard euphemism at my last workplace when senior management was forcibly defenestrated. It always caused cynical laughter among those of us who survived the upheavals (because the company needed us to actually produce the work our clients required).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The likely change of ownership at DB Arriva (to I Squared Capital) might make a number of senior staff in their rail operations rethink their careers.
It's not impossible that he could reappear in the new management team, or elsewhere in the industry.

sh24

Immediate effect in that kind of role either means they have done something naughty or really pissed off the DfT or the owning groups board.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Immediate effect in that kind of role either means they have done something naughty or really pissed off the DfT or the owning groups board.
Supposedly he had been on gardening leave for a number of weeks before now

Mogz

One wonders, with TOC MD’s generally, how often they travel Standard Class on one of their TOC trains at peak time to see what the high-paying long suffering passenger has to put up with.

For nearly two decades now I’ve been putting up with “sardine express”, “standing room only” far too short Voyager formations.

I know there’s no money for anything better nowadays though.

chesterred16

There's no "We'd like to take this opportunity to thank Tom for his efforts" etc etc. Reading through the corporate speak, he's had the bullet and pretty abruptly.

Somewhere

MDs are just figureheads. Most frontline staff probably don't know who their MD is anyway

SteveM70

Established Member

To be fair, she doesn’t clarify whether that’s just an aspiration or something she believes they currently do - you can read it either way

On Moderation
MDs are just figureheads. Most frontline staff probably don't know who their MD is anyway
If MDs are just figureheads, why is it that performance often improves or deteriorates when they change?

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member
Supposedly he had been on gardening leave for a number of weeks before now

I'd heard that too - which is interesting as he was recently as the Midlands Rail event only a few weeks ago talking about the future of XC.

Some do - When Matthew Galton was covering for Mark Hopwood at GWR, he would often be seen helping the staff out onboard, particularly when the Trolley's were fairly active on GWR. Since Hopwood came back (someone who I've seen dive straight for the rear cab or first class section), Galton ended up being somewhat sidelined after being sent to TPE.

GordonT

A sweeping generalisation. Some of them are very high profile and widely recognised amongst their staff. Some not so much.

Established Member
Also in Birmz, the finance director of WM just announced departure... could be coincidental.

VP185

A sweeping generalisation. Some of them are very high profile and widely recognised amongst their staff. Some not so much.

It doesn’t matter if they are high profile and widely recognised amongst their staff…. they are all merely glove puppets following instructions issued by the DfT.

brad465

Established Member
All the posters conspicuously asking about this make cynical old me wonder what's about to come out (and get my popcorn ready)
One of the Exec Directors at my organisation, with over 30 years in it, last year left in similar fashion to what's being described in this case: a blunt all staff email and revelation the role was being covered by 2 other staff for 3 weeks before (essentially gardening leave although that term wasn't used). The reason unsurprisingly hasn't been disclosed, but 2 rumours floating around are falling out with the CEO, and/or they had an affair with their PA, overpromoted them in the organisation and was found out (the affair is widely accepted to have happened, whether it was the cause of departure is debatable).

I don't know what's been going on here but from the above experience sometimes senior staff leave for actions that can be inconspicuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.