• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country services from Guildford, are they likely to return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
More worryingly all of the 'service stop unadvertised' calls have been removed. I really hope they are not hoping to make this halved service permanent, the Newcastle-South Coast services were quite useful. I don't see what excuse they have for continuing with this, off-peak and weekend demand must be back to 2019 levels.

I do question some calls. Audley End for example - is it really worth stopping XC services every hour for (predominantly) local demand to Stansted/Cambridge, for which other, higher-capacity services exist? And you can still change quite easily at Cambridge onto XC services anyway for longer journeys.

(Yes, yes, I know passengers prefer direct trains...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greaterwest

Established Member
There are no passenger calls Guildford to Southampton when on diversions.
Usually during both engineering work and disruption there are passenger calls at Guildford, and I can confirm this has happened recently for disruption and will be happening in October for engineering diversions, see below:

Any news of the Newcastle - Reading / Southampton services returning?

Not in Dec they won't, they might in May 22.
More worryingly all of the 'service stop unadvertised' calls have been removed. I really hope they are not hoping to make this halved service permanent, the Newcastle-South Coast services were quite useful. I don't see what excuse they have for continuing with this, off-peak and weekend demand must be back to 2019 levels.

If they don't restore those trains, I hope the timetable can be altered to provide some decent connections instead. I've just investigated a journey from Sheffield to Oxford and most options appears to involve an hour's wait at Birmingham.

The two-hourly service south of Reading seems inadequate for the longer term too.

XC victim

If they don't restore those trains, I hope the timetable can be altered to provide some decent connections instead. I've just investigated a journey from Sheffield to Oxford and most options appears to involve an hour's wait at Birmingham.

The two-hourly service south of Reading seems inadequate for the longer term too.
I found the Newcastle - Reading / Southampton services very useful too (mainly because they were a lot quieter than other XC services) so I was really worried at the start of the pandemic that these services could be cut permanently.

Seems strange that a hourly service south of Reading had not been fully restored considering that Reading to Southampton was 3tp2h before.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Usually during both engineering work and disruption there are passenger calls at Guildford, and I can confirm this has happened recently for disruption and will be happening in October for engineering diversions, see below:

I meant no calls “between” Guildford and Southampton, sorry for any confusion. The post I was replying to was asking specifically about whether or not there were calls at Havant when on diversion.

Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
I meant no calls “between” Guildford and Southampton, sorry for any confusion. The post I was replying to was asking specifically about whether or not there were calls at Havant when on diversion.
My mistake, I read it slightly wrong! Apologies.

I understand what you mean now - and you are of course correct. I can't remember the last time XC called at Havant or Fareham, or any other stations in between. They might've done Havant more recently during disruption but not sure.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Seems strange that a hourly service south of Reading had not been fully restored considering that Reading to Southampton was 3tp2h before.
Yes, XC are still only running a third of pre-Covid services south of Reading. Reading-Basingstoke etc. has to be one of the worst affected flows in terms of Covid timetable reductions.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes, XC are still only running a third of pre-Covid services south of Reading. Reading-Basingstoke etc. has to be one of the worst affected flows in terms of Covid timetable reductions.
I hasn't realised quite how many trains weren't running on XC.

South Weatern Railway are running lots of services to Weymouth so they obviously feel there is demand.

nw1

Established Member
Didn't realise XC south of Reading was still less-than-hourly: I saw at around 1400 on Saturday a northbound and southbound XC pass through Beaulieu Road in quick succession - which made me think it was an hourly service. Normally, the XC has around a 30 min turnaround time at Bournemouth so a southbound train passing Beaulieu Road would return around an hour later. Instead it looks like two-hourly with a longer turnaround at Bournemouth.

One flaw with the usual timetable of 3 trains per 2 hours from Southampton is that it consumes paths, when (IMO) there is a need for more frequent, half-hourly, 'metro style' services at places like St Denys and Swaythling. But agree that an hourly XC needs to be brought back as soon as possible - and half-hourly from Reading northwards. And if there is any way double Voyagers can be made permanent on Bournemouth services that would obviously be great.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I do question some calls. Audley End for example - is it really worth stopping XC services every hour for (predominantly) local demand to Stansted/Cambridge, for which other, higher-capacity services exist? And you can still change quite easily at Cambridge onto XC services anyway for longer journeys.
In days gone by, it might have been a useful chunk of ORCATS income - given that the train would just sit around at Stansted Airport for a few more minutes if the stop was removed.

But the current (reduced) timetable makes more sense in a GBR world where all the money goes into the same pot: effectively just the early morning/late evening service when the Greater Anglia Norwich-Stansted isn't running.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In days gone by, it might have been a useful chunk of ORCATS income - given that the train would just sit around at Stansted Airport for a few more minutes if the stop was removed.

But the current (reduced) timetable makes more sense in a GBR world where all the money goes into the same pot: effectively just the early morning/late evening service when the Greater Anglia Norwich-Stansted isn't running.
Making it a non-advertised call simply means that the services wait time outside Stansted Tunnel. It's utterly pointless and counterproductive, but then the same could be said about a lot of XC's non-advertised calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.