• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country through Milford (Surrey) today

I saw a Cross Country train go through Milford (Surrey) station today, but it wasn’t on Real time trains. I was wondering if anyone knew where it came from/ was going?

This was at around 12.30 today

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LUYMun

Must've been the 1M42 1045 Bournemouth-Manchester Piccadilly service, partially cancelled at Macclesfield.

I've seen a similar XC service being diverted via Guildford some months ago, I reckon there must've been some disruption along the SWML at times so diverting it would've been a better option for the train, at the cost of accumulating additional lateness!

My geography is a bit ropey down there, but there was a points failure at Southcote Jn near Reading, most XC services terminated at Reading whilst this was ongoing but 1M42 (10:45 Bournemouth - Manchester) diverted via Guildford so I presume it was that you saw.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I saw a Cross Country train go through Milford (Surrey) station today, but it wasn’t on Real time trains. I was wondering if anyone knew where it came from/ was going?

This was at around 12.30 today
It used to be a regular route for a very early ECS from Eastleigh via Botley, Fareham, Havant to Guildford to form the daily Newcastle service with a corresponding return in the evening. I think these still ran daily as ECS all the way to Reading up until last December. But I believe they haven’t run in public service since then, this week theres an ECS towards Reading MWF only, but no down service..

On various occasions over the last few years an all day service has run between Reading and Bournemouth when engineering work has closed the normal route in the Basingstoke area.

I noticed just recently the latest XC train service specification no longer includes any requirement for the Guildford service at all, and it is implied there’ll be no regular use of the route via Guildford and Havant.

Last edited:

Established Member
Interestingly the 0845 from Bournemouth terminated at Reading 83 late then formed the 1145 to York. The inbound journey from Newcastle did a quick turnaround to form the 1114 to Manchester.

DelW

Established Member
On various occasions over the last few years an all day service has run between Reading and Bournemouth when engineering work has closed the normal route in the Basingstoke area.
I've seen XC weekend diversions over the Portsmouth Direct at a weekend within the last few months, though I can't put dates to that.

I noticed just recently the latest XC train service specification no longer includes any requirement for the Guildford service at all, and it is implied there’ll be no regular use of the route via Guildford and Havant.
If so, that presumably means XC will just terminate everything at Reading whenever the route between there and Southampton is closed. Post privatisation XC have dropped Brighton, Guildford, and Poole off their route map, now they seem to be losing interest in everywhere south of Reading.

LUYMun

Although there is a regular ECS path on Mondays (excepting public holidays) which runs from Eastleigh to Reading via Fareham and Guildford, presumably to maintain driver knowledge for diversionary use, as has been the case in engineering works and just today?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Although there is a regular ECS path on Mondays (excepting public holidays) which runs from Eastleigh to Reading via Fareham and Guildford, presumably to maintain driver knowledge for diversionary use, as has been the case in engineering works and just today?

Yes that is the one I saw that currently runs one way northbound MWF. It was cancelled today. There‘s no southbound equivalent however. But at the end of the latest train service specification, (dated Oct 2023 onwards), there’s a short section describing a few diversionary route learners that are required to run once or twice a week, they’re at various places all over the country except for the area South of Reading. There‘s also apparent route learners running via Laverstock annd Andover in one direction northbound only Tuesday & Thursday from June, but they’re not listed in the service spec either. Running one way isn’t that unusual though, there have been timetables in recent years where they’ve only run southbound via Laverstock.

The train service spec was linked here, if you want to look at it:

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
There‘s also apparent route learners running via Laverstock annd Andover in one direction northbound only Tuesday & Thursday from June, but they’re not listed in the service spec either. Running one way isn’t that unusual though, there have been timetables in recent years where they’ve only run southbound via Laverstock.
There is also the 5O06 0735 Eastleigh Trsmd to Reading service which runs via Laverstock on Sunday mornings when the Laverstock area is open.

As for XC another route they have lost in recent years is the WCML between Stafford & Nuneaton for when Stafford - Wolverhampton is closed. Take last weekend and it was buses from Wolverhampton to Stoke

Falcon1200

Established Member
As for XC another route they have lost in recent years is the WCML between Stafford & Nuneaton for when Stafford - Wolverhampton is closed.

They still had that route knowledge last year because on Monday 9th October 1M18 0515 Southampton-Manchester was diverted that way due to a train failure at Penkridge!