• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country weekend diversions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
Just curious about this, for the past couple of weekends, XC services between Derby and Birmingham have been diverted via Lichfield.

However, this Saturday (5th March) services to the North East are starting at Derby with buses laid on all the way from Birmingham. If the stock comes from Central Rivers to Derby, how does it get there, presuming the line is closed between Wichnor Junction and Derby? Does anyone know exactly where the line is blocked?

Not so long ago, if it wasn't possible to run via Tamworth or Lichfield between Derby and Birmingham, XC used to divert via Leicester but this seems to have been discontinued now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I believe the line is closed between Burton & Derby as XC are running trains that far.

A few weeks ago when I noticed the work there was an hourly nonstop service from Birmingham towards Derby via Leicester (on the Sunday, XC were quite happy to sell tickets with seat reservations) but those got replaced by replacement buses in the last week.

Whistler40145

Established Member
On several Sundays, it's been a Rail Replacement Bus between Birmingham New Street and Coleshill Parkway

D6975

Established Member
However, this Saturday (5th March) services to the North East are starting at Derby with buses laid on all the way from Birmingham. If the stock comes from Central Rivers to Derby, how does it get there, presuming the line is closed between Wichnor Junction and Derby? Does anyone know exactly where the line is blocked?
They aren't coming from Central Rivers, they're inbound services from the North being turned around. The first Northbound (N St - Edin) seems to be the only one that comes from CR, running empty to New St, then in service to Derby via Nuneaton and Leicester.

Established Member
Just curious about this, for the past couple of weekends, XC services between Derby and Birmingham have been diverted via Lichfield.

Not so long ago, if it wasn't possible to run via Tamworth or Lichfield between Derby and Birmingham, XC used to divert via Leicester but this seems to have been discontinued now.
EMR Crewe to Newark is buses between Derby and Tutbury so the block must be between Derby and Stenson Junction at least.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
EMR Crewe to Newark is buses between Derby and Tutbury so the block must be between Derby and Stenson Junction at least.
A somewhat unusual set of circumstances where outstabling units at Crewe actually brings a benefit. Though as there are only 2 units kept there, there is a gap every third hour.

As for the OP's question, I suspect it's down to a lack of route knowledge on a lesser used diversion.

Whilst XC do have crew that sign both 22x and Birmingham to Derby via Leicester, with the lack of Rest Day Working for drivers, there will probably not be enough to run a full hourly service as they might have done in the past. So it's simpler and safer to run everything as a split service.

brick60000

The last time I recall Leicester diversions was at the start of the pandemic, during very early lockdown.

I had every intention of travelling on them, but covid put an end to that!

rower40

Having just restarted my commute (Willington to Derby and back - first time since COVID) I noticed an ESR just south of Willington on the down (towards Birmingham) line on Tuesday, but it wasn't there today.
But there are diggers and other machinery near to the line at Stenson Junction, seemingly getting ready for the weekend.

Established Member
Isn't most of the diversions down to the work at Water Orton?
Previous weekends yes but this weekend Water Orton is open with services running through to Burton from Cardiff.

A somewhat unusual set of circumstances where outstabling units at Crewe actually brings a benefit. Though as there are only 2 units kept there, there is a gap every third hour.
3 units at Crewe this weekend. 2x170 and a 156 so the mostly hourly service can be maintained. I wonder if the first service to Crewe will run as there is no ECS move in RTT for the first and last journeys at Tutbury today or most of the stunts.

louis97

Established Member
Guess this is to do with 30mph limit over the river south of Willington
No that is because of high water levels in the River Dove. Sometimes divers are required to check the structure for scour before line speed can be restored. In this case divers were not required after the scour risk was reaccessed and Line speed was restored on Wednesday I think.

trentvalley

No that is because of high water levels in the River Dove. Sometimes divers are required to check the structure for scour before line speed can be restored. In this case divers were not required after the scour risk was reaccessed and Line speed was restored on Wednesday I think.
Thanks for the info

Mugby

Established Member
Things seem to be pretty much back to normal next weekend on NE/SW services, XC's weekly summary says that trains through Sheffield will be retimed 'by a few minutes' Unusually, XC and some other services are using Platforms 6 and 8 at SHF for Northbound departures.

Yesterday I noticed that quite a lot of new pointwork on new timbers has been delivered on the South approach Down side at the back of the B&Q store. Presumably the low numbered platforms won't be accessible from the South during next weekend.

Bungle

According to NRE, diversions via Barrow Hill between Chesterfield and Sheffield this coming weekend.

Also published on EMR website, but RTT still shows everything operating via Dronfield as normal.

(Edited to remove duff assumption)

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
(Also published on EMR website, but RTT still shows everything operating via Dronfield as normal.)
Northern Rail & East Midlands showing calls at Dronfield for 12th & 13th March. A look on RTT turns up quite a few ECS at Meadowhall on 13th March which might suggest engineering works between Nunnery Main Line Jcn and Meadowhall on that date but the ECS in question (or some of them at least) are using the Up & Down East Slow loop between Brightside Jcn and Mill Race Jcn. Always possible that the works are on the main line between Brightside Jcn and Nunnery Main Line Jcn but only affecting the Up & Down Main with the Up & Down East Slow being left open.

Dave

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
According to NRE, diversions via Barrow Hill between Chesterfield and Sheffield this coming weekend.
NRE says the trains are diverted, not via where, in this case the Down Main is shut at the South end of Sheffield station and all down trains will use the Down Heeley Loop to access Platforms 5 to 8.

Northern Rail & East Midlands showing calls at Dronfield for 12th & 13th March. A look on RTT turns up quite a few ECS at Meadowhall on 13th March which might suggest engineering works between Nunnery Main Line Jcn and Meadowhall on that date but the ECS in question (or some of them at least) are using the Up & Down East Slow loop between Brightside Jcn and Mill Race Jcn. Always possible that the works are on the main line between Brightside Jcn and Nunnery Main Line Jcn but only affecting the Up & Down Main with the Up & Down East Slow being left open.

Trains are turning around at Meadowhall because there isn't the capacity available to turnaround at Sheffield, Platforms 1 to 4 are in the possession.

Bungle

Makes a bit more sense now! Easy to assume “diverted between Sheffield and Chesterfield” means via Barrow Hill - not sure I’d consider this a “diversion” but at least it gives some context to what’s happening!

Mugby

Established Member
On Saturday 12th, I'm intending to travel on 1E67 which is the 1627 HST from Plymouth to Leeds. I'll be boarding at Derby.

I used this service three times towards the end of last year and it departed Derby at 2045. On Saturday it departs at 2039 which is probably to allow for it's contorted entry into Sheffield. However, it departs SHF at it's usual time of 2125 but takes 12 minutes longer to reach Leeds (at 2214) than it did previously at 2202.
Having looked at the timings, it doesn't appear to have any extra padding between SHF- Wincobank and Holmes and I can't understand how it loses 12 minutes into Leeds on it's previous timing.

louis97

Established Member
On Saturday 12th, I'm intending to travel on 1E67 which is the 1627 HST from Plymouth to Leeds. I'll be boarding at Derby.

I used this service three times towards the end of last year and it departed Derby at 2045. On Saturday it departs at 2039 which is probably to allow for it's contorted entry into Sheffield. However, it departs SHF at it's usual time of 2125 but takes 12 minutes longer to reach Leeds (at 2214) than it did previously at 2202.
Having looked at the timings, it doesn't appear to have any extra padding between SHF- Wincobank and Holmes and I can't understand how it loses 12 minutes into Leeds on it's previous timing.
Its usual departure time from Sheffield is 2121, it does have some extra time between Sheffield and Wincobank to allow for passage over the single running line open (the Up main) after 1900 between Sheffield and Nunnery ML Junction. The service is then subject to some allowance in the Swinton area due to a Doncaster bound freight. As a result of its later presentation time at South Kirkby Junction, the service follows the Doncaster to Leeds stopper - normally XC services pass South Kirkby just ahead of it.

Snow1964

Established Member
Just seen a cross country train passing through Bradford-on-Avon and it appears to be an early morning Saturday Bristol-Plymouth train 1C11 which is allowed about an hour from Bristol to Taunton.

I am guessing it is for crew knowledge of diversionary route, but must be one of very few in service trains timetabled not to call at Bath Spa

Was running late today as was stuck behind the late running GWR Bristol-Portsmouth service

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
The missing link in NE/SW services this weekend is between Derby and Sheffield. Everything from the south terminating at Derby and all services to the North East starting at Sheffield.
This is rather unusual because the route via the Erewash should be open and also the 'Old Road' from Chesterfield to Sheffield via Beighton should be available.

Does anyone know why there's a total block on all services, XC and EMR, between Sheffield and Derby this weekend?

M60lad

Not to sure but when I passed through Chesterfield last Saturday it looked like there was trackwork going on at Chesterfield Station on the direct line to Dore & Sheffield so maybe the engineering works have moved onto the other tracks this weekend.

Established Member
The missing link in NE/SW services this weekend is between Derby and Sheffield. Everything from the south terminating at Derby and all services to the North East starting at Sheffield.
This is rather unusual because the route via the Erewash should be open and also the 'Old Road' from Chesterfield to Sheffield via Beighton should be available.

Does anyone know why there's a total block on all services, XC and EMR, between Sheffield and Derby this weekend?
Open train times map shows some work happening across all 4 lines to the south of Chesterfield station.

Mugby

Established Member
On Sunday (4 Sep) Cross Country services between Sheffield and Leeds are unable to call at Wakefield Westgate, being diverted via Barnsley.

Buses are laid on between Sheffield and Wakefield and between Wakefield and Leeds. The diverted traind will be passing through Wakefield Kirkgate without stopping. Although it would seem logical to stop there, is it the lack of facilities and being unstaffed which precludes it ?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On Sunday (4 Sep) Cross Country services between Sheffield and Leeds are unable to call at Wakefield Westgate, being diverted via Barnsley.

Buses are laid on between Sheffield and Wakefield and between Wakefield and Leeds. The diverted traind will be passing through Wakefield Kirkgate without stopping. Although it would seem logical to stop there, is it the lack of facilities and being unstaffed which precludes it ?
XC won't have a station access agreement to stop at Wakefield Kirkgate and Voyagers won't be risk assessed etc. to stop there. In any case, platform 1 (towards Leeds) is too short for any kind of Voyager, whilst platform 2 (from Leeds) can only fit a single 220/221, nothing longer than that. So with most services being double sets, it's a complete non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.