• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Keys - Newport direct services now operating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Nothing has changed to infrastructure to permit the service to run.It has run before during engineering work.I think the aim is to run a regular Newport to Ebbw Vale service that does not go via Cardiff which will need more units and passing loops.
That's not strictly true, in that the signalling was enhanced as part of the Newport resignalling last decade to facilitate it. Prior to that (and in particular when the branch reopened) it wasn't possible.

It's just that so many years have passed since the infrastructure change was made to permit use of the link, that it's correct to say that there has been no recent change.

It's a bit like the loop at Tir Phil, put in as part of the Cardiff Area Resignalling to permit 2 tph north of Bargoed, which has effectively seen no use, and won't do prior to further track doubling in the area as part of SW Metro.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oxfordblues

It's good to see the 1885-built Park Junction Signalbox busy again, still with a few traditional semaphores. I see there's a new flow of aggregates planned from Machen Quarry to Lawley Street Freightliner Terminal, which will add to the interest.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I suspect it will be well used by those who live in the Pye Corner/Rogerstone areas (within walking distance to the stations) and work in the centre of Newport.

Although I guess it will depend what the bus frequency & cost is like compared to the hourly train

Dai Corner

Established Member
I suspect it will be well used by those who live in the Pye Corner/Rogerstone areas (within walking distance to the stations) and work in the centre of Newport.

Although I guess it will depend what the bus frequency & cost is like compared to the hourly train
The bus service is very frequent between Newport and Crosskeys; 6 or 7 buses an hour. Bus fare from Rogerstone is £3.80 return, train £5.60. Many bus passengers travel free, of course.

My feeling is that the service is of more use to those changing at Newport for Bristol and beyond.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Unfortunately, the line has closed again for the afternoon and early evening with at least six return trips cancelled due to 'resource availability'.

Llandudno

Established Member
Unfortunately, the line has closed again for the afternoon and early evening with at least six return trips cancelled due to 'resource availability'.
Precisely, TfW should never have started this service until they can guarantee ‘resource availability’!

headshot119

Established Member
That's not strictly true, in that the signalling was enhanced as part of the Newport resignalling last decade to facilitate it. Prior to that (and in particular when the branch reopened) it wasn't possible.

It's just that so many years have passed since the infrastructure change was made to permit use of the link, that it's correct to say that there has been no recent change.

It's a bit like the loop at Tir Phil, put in as part of the Cardiff Area Resignalling to permit 2 tph north of Bargoed, which has effectively seen no use, and won't do prior to further track doubling in the area as part of SW Metro.

The route was available when Newport PSB was still open, what do you believe wasn't possible prior to the migration to Wales ROC?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I understand that whilst available the signalling was such that it was not available for passenger use. (It’s a long time ago now, and I’m not going to invest any time to search around to prove or disprove my understanding.)

gareth386

Unfortunately it's definitely been the wrong time to implement the service.
On Monday the 1st 15 trains had a total of 20 passengers on, hopefully numbers will pick up after Christmas.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Unfortunately it's definitely been the wrong time to implement the service.
On Monday the 1st 15 trains had a total of 20 passengers on, hopefully numbers will pick up after Christmas.
Today, the trains are replaced by a minibus shuttle. This seems more in line with demand!

The parallel Stagecoach bus service is about six times as frequent though.

gareth386

Today, the trains are replaced by a minibus shuttle. This seems more in line with demand!

The parallel Stagecoach bus service is about six times as frequent though.

Yeah, unfortunately lots of cancellations due to train crew shortages.

Tomos y Tanc

I think there was always going to be a demand question. Newport, sadly, is in a pretty sorry state overshadowed by both Cardiff and Bristol. The traditional industries are largely gone and the recent house price bubble is largely driven by people priced out of the Cardiff and Bristol housing markets. The city's own economic base remains very weak.

The decision to run the reopened Ebbw Valley line services to Cardiff rather than Newport was controversial at the time but was undoubtedly correct since the whole point of the reopening was to provide job opportunities for residents of the upper Ebbw valley following the steel works closure. The jobs were in Cardiff not Newport.

I do think that, over time, there will be a growing commuter traffic from the lower Ebbw valley into the Port but it's a question of developing a market rather than meeting existing demand. It won't happen but it would be very interesting to see how a direct Ebbw Vale - Bristol service would fare.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Dai Corner

Established Member
I think there was always going to be a demand question. Newport, sadly, is in a pretty sorry state overshadowed by both Cardiff and Bristol. The traditional industries are largely gone and the recent house price bubble is largely driven by people priced out of the Cardiff and Bristol housing markets. The city's own economic base remains very weak.

The decision to run the reopened Ebbw Valley line services to Cardiff rather than Newport was controversial at the time but was undoubtedly correct since the whole point of the reopening was to provide job opportunities for residents of the upper Ebbw valley following the steel works closure. The jobs were in Cardiff not Newport.

I do think that, over time, there will be a growing commuter traffic from the lower Ebbw valley into the Port but it's a question of developing a market rather than meeting existing demand. It won't happen but it would be very interesting to see how a direct Ebbw Vale - Bristol service would fare.
There is plenty of demand for travel Newport-Rogerstone-Risca-Crosskeys-Newbridge; enough to support 6 or 7 buses an hour. Why the Welsh Government felt the need to subsidise a railway service to compete with these I really don't know.

Signal_Box

Prior to the Ebbw Vale reopening the Cardiff Curve, and Gear Single weren’t passed for regular passenger use as obviously passenger services ceased in the 60s.

ironically PJ2 signal the one which controls access via the “main“ route Park to Gear had a full length semphore arm, vice PJ9 which only had a 3ft goods arm for the road via Ebbw Junction.

When Newport panel was moved to Cardiff, PJ84 signal up direction off the Gear branch had to moved a significant distance back from its original position to allow the correct modern overlap.

There hasn’t ever been physical reason why regular passenger trains couldn't use both cords from the Mainline to Park Junction (since Newport moved to Cardiff, and Ebbw reopened). The only reason why it hasn’t happened was funding, resources and capacity at Newport.

Since the 12/12/21 the shuttle Cross Keys to Newport arrives and departs Newport plat 4, running via the UP Main via Hillfield Tunnel there and back. This allows a UP train to run in along side from Gear into plat 3 via Hillfield and the DN Main with a Cross Keys or Newport train.

As an interesting side point, IF the Newport West Parkway is we’ve built and has the proposed bay the Gear cord will again fall into disuse as the shuttles will terminate at NWP via Newport High Street.

Park is due to close with its control area passed to the Ebbw workstation at Cardiff in 2023.

I really can't see any benefit in the current shuttle to be honest, it carries more crew than paying passengers, eats up capacity, resources and will be a easy cut when there is a shortage if crew or units or disruption which will lead to passengers not trusting the reliability - its a wholly political service which serves to show “we did something” rather than a real purpose.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Prior to the Ebbw Vale reopening the Cardiff Curve, and Gear Single weren’t passed for regular passenger use as obviously passenger services ceased in the 60s.

ironically PJ2 signal the one which controls access via the “main“ route Park to Gear had a full length semphore arm, vice PJ9 which only had a 3ft goods arm for the road via Ebbw Junction.

When Newport panel was moved to Cardiff, PJ84 signal up direction off the Gear branch had to moved a significant distance back from its original position to allow the correct modern overlap.

There hasn’t ever been physical reason why regular passenger trains couldn't use both cords from the Mainline to Park Junction (since Newport moved to Cardiff, and Ebbw reopened). The only reason why it hasn’t happened was funding, resources and capacity at Newport.

Since the 12/12/21 the shuttle Cross Keys to Newport arrives and departs Newport plat 4, running via the UP Main via Hillfield Tunnel there and back. This allows a UP train to run in along side from Gear into plat 3 via Hillfield and the DN Main with a Cross Keys or Newport train.

As an interesting side point, IF the Newport West Parkway is we’ve built and has the proposed bay the Gear cord will again fall into disuse as the shuttles will terminate at NWP via Newport High Street.

Park is due to close with its control area passed to the Ebbw workstation at Cardiff in 2023.

I really can't see any benefit in the current shuttle to be honest, it carries more crew than paying passengers, eats up capacity, resources and will be a easy cut when there is a shortage if crew or units or disruption which will lead to passengers not trusting the reliability - its a wholly political service which serves to show “we did something” rather than a real purpose.

Welcome as a new member to the Forum and your very enlightening account of events.

Furryanimal

Not a good day today.......
Additional Information
Due to severe staff sickness there will be no services on the Ebbw Vale line all day on Tuesday December 28th 2021.
This issue is affecting all areas of the TFW network with multiple cancellations on most other routes.

There is no rail replacement road transport available.

We are advising passengers NOT TO TRAVEL.( bit difficult if there is no service).

TFW apologises for the inconvenience this will cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

Signal_Box

Not a good day today.......
Additional Information
Due to severe staff sickness there will be no services on the Ebbw Vale line all day on Tuesday December 28th 2021.
This issue is affecting all areas of the TFW network with multiple cancellations on most other routes.

We are advising passengers NOT TO TRAVEL.( bit difficult if there is no service).

How are those who rely on the railway meant to get to their employment in Cardiff today with no alternative transport provided I wonder ?

Not everyone can WFH, what was i saying about the shuttle being dropped like a hot stone at the mere hint of resource issue?

There’s only so much people will put up with until they pick up their car keys and just drive, I know I won’t use the train at all - last train trip was way back in Jan 2020, before that….god knows years and years.

Dai Corner

Established Member
How are those who rely on the railway meant to get to their employment in Cardiff today with no alternative transport provided I wonder ?

Not everyone can WFH, what was i saying about the shuttle being dropped like a hot stone at the mere hint of resource issue?

There’s only so much people will put up with until they pick up their car keys and just drive, I know I won’t use the train at all - last train trip was way back in Jan 2020, before that….god knows years and years.
To be fair to TfW, it isn't their 'resource availability' this time.

Journeycheck says the following. Presumably Network Rail has nobody to cover Park Jn 'box.

07:37 Ebbw Vale Town to Cardiff Central due 08:35 will be cancelled.
This is due to signalling staff being taken ill.
Additional Information

We are advising passengers NOT TO TRAVEL.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
If the Newport shuttle is cancelled, with no alternative provision, are people allowed to travel via Cardiff at no additional charge, that being the only service available?

Dai Corner

Established Member
If the Newport shuttle is cancelled, with no alternative provision, are people allowed to travel via Cardiff at no additional charge, that being the only service available?
I don't know, but the most sensible thing to do would be to arrange ticket acceptance on Stagecoach buses. Their 151 runs every 12 mins between Pye Corner and Newport.

TravelDream

TFW isn't the only rail operator hurting. For all the talk of keeping the economy open, the Omicron surge is causing large numbers of staff to be off sick in multiple industries.

For alternative travel, I have no idea why TFW doesn't have a ticket acceptance arrangement with Stagecoach.

The X4 runs from Ebbw Vale to Cardiff. It's not too frequent though with buses running hourly. The Stagecoach timetable isn't the easiest to read either as it looks like no buses run through though to Cardiff from Merthyr when in reality they do.

The 151 runs on the southern half of the route every 12 minutes from Newbridge to Newport. There are a few other buses for the far south of the route like the 56 too.

These aren't ideal obviously, but are better than nothing.

Established Member

Out of interest, what brings you to a railway discussion forum?

The exile

Established Member
For alternative travel, I have no idea why TFW doesn't have a ticket acceptance arrangement with Stagecoach.
If we had a properly integrated public transport network ( ie if anyone in authority actually cared), there would be no need to faff about ticket acceptance. A ticket from A to B would be valid on all reasonable routes, regardless of operator.

Furryanimal

Not so easy to get from Ebbw Vale to Newport though....not been a bus on the route for some years now.
Best to get to Abergavenny first I think.
TFW,in their early postings,did not mention it was sick signalling staff causing the issue..
There is a Saturday bus service running today on Stagecoach( unusual for a Bank Holiday) but it finishes quite early in the evening.

Signal_Box

To be fair to TfW, it isn't their 'resource availability' this time.

Journeycheck says the following. Presumably Network Rail has nobody to cover Park Jn 'box.

Negative regards Network Rail being unable to cover Park Junction, Park is probably the best covered location in South Wales with over a dozen signallers passed to work it including the 6 resident staff.

Out of interest, what brings you to a railway discussion forum?

Weathered railway professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.