• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross London transfer via Baker Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbob700

Tody I usefd a return ticket from Dorridge to Sidcup valid via London (with Maltese Cross). I arrived at Marylebone Station from Dorridge, and walked to Baker Street station to take the Jubilee line to London Bridge.

At Baker Street my ticket did not work the barrier. I was told by the member of staff that the ticket was not valid as I had "left the system" at Marylebone. Although she said that she would let me in, she said that I could have been charged and may well be if I tried it again!

I assumed that use of Baker Street station was appropriate for a journey via Marylebone (rather than going 1 stop on the Bakerloo line and changing). it's certainly included in the list in the National Fares Manual.

I asked to see a supervisor, as I was not happy with her attitude and will be making the journey several times in the future, and he backed up the gate staff member tellin me that the ticket would only be valid if I had come in on the Aylesbury line as LU and National Rail ran joint services on this line. I couldn't really see why the rules should be different for the Birmingham line.

Maps on Chiltern Trains and signposting at Marylebone Station certainly suggest that Baker Street is a valid tube connection from Marylebone.

Can anyone confirm whether the staff at Baker Street were correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member

The member of staff was incorrect.

Tickets displaying the ‘cross-London’ marker (‘†’) are valid for travel between any two of the stations listed within the FRPP (Staff Fares Manual) appropriate to the route of the through journey.

Baker Street and London Bridge are both listed and therefore the journey you undertook was certainly valid.

Unfortunately LU staff are very poorly trained on the intricacies of the FRPP and other Railway Manuals and these problems arise frequently. Even when a DSM is summoned for, they invariably have very little ticketing experience themselves and usually rely on the member of staff you have just had an altercation with, to give them the relevant facts of the situation.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can confirm they get a whopping great big salary (;)) yet there are there sufficient controls in place to ensure staff are either correct or polite and training given to LU staff regarding NR tickets is woefully insufficient.

Daniel

Established Member
The ticket was valid for travel, and I'm quite surprised you had trouble there, considering the CSA's normally send people to Marelybone themselves when the Amersham's are delayed, and they tell them to exit and walk!

Previous posters are correct that LU staff dont really get alot of training regarding NR ticket validility..and referencing to glynn's post, a DSM would possibly have less ticketing experience than the CSA ;)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
This was certainly the list of valid out-of-station interchanges in November:
here

glynn80

Established Member
This was certainly the list of valid out-of-station interchanges in November:
here

That is a list of out of station interchanges that are valid on LU tickets (do they apply to NR tickets?) and gives the time you have to make the connection before you time out. This is not the list of stations that are permitted to be used with a Cross London Transfer.

That list can be viewed at the following URL (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/uk/transport-london/section-5.html), which is accurate barring the exclusion of Aldgate, Greenwich, Lancaster Gate, Lewisham, Limehouse, Shepherds Bush, Southwark, West Brompton, West Hampstead & Woolwich Arsenal and the fact that Balham and Brixton were not omitted on the 26th September 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.