• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

12LDA28C

Established Member
It was virgin cross country before no? so their recruiting policy was hiring only qualified drivers, like they did when they ran services on the west coast mainline. Since virgin are out, new policy with the new TOC operator to avoid any driver shortages.

How does taking on trainees instead of qualified drivers 'avoid any driver shortages'? It takes much longer to train up an apprentice than it does a qualified driver so that would appear to exacerbate any driver shortages with much longer timescales for any vacancies to be filled.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ses16

How does taking on trainees instead of qualified drivers 'avoid any driver shortages'? It takes much longer to train up an apprentice than it does a qualified driver so that would appear to exacerbate any driver shortages with much longer timescales for any vacancies to be filled.
I worded that a little wrong, I was mostly aiming about them not solely taking on only qualified drivers. The rest was me assuming.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I worded that a little wrong, I was mostly aiming about them not solely taking on only qualified drivers. The rest was me assuming.

CrossCountry have certainly taken on qualified drivers recently. They were advertising for qualified drivers at Birmingham in October last year, for example.

EmmD

It was virgin cross country before no? so their recruiting policy was hiring only qualified drivers, like they did when they ran services on the west coast mainline. Since virgin are out, new policy with the new TOC operator to avoid any driver shortages.
That is incorrect. I have worked for the company since 2002 and there was a reason they never used to train but now do but it’s wasn’t that.

Zeezee

Good luck with applications! Having passed the OPC tests previously, does anyone know whether XC accepts OPC passes within 5 or 3 years? Dread having to do them again.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Good luck with applications! Having passed the OPC tests previously, does anyone know whether XC accepts OPC passes within 5 or 3 years? Dread having to do them again.
I think it's only really TfW who don't take up to the 5 years they are valid for. But as someone who has sat them twice, it's far less nerve wracking the 2nd time. If you passed once, you can pass twice should you need to.

JoeEcco

How odd - the ad is still up.
They have just taken them down, certainly unusual to be up for that amount of time.

How does it work if the last set of tests you sat were NOT with the OPC? (With TFW which I don’t believe used OPC)
Do they take them or do they only go off of the last set of OPC tests I sat.

kajojek3232

They have just taken them down, certainly unusual to be up for that amount of time.

How does it work if the last set of tests you sat were NOT with the OPC? (With TFW which I don’t believe used OPC)
Did take a while, didn’t it.

In terms of your questions I have absolutely no idea - I thought OPC had a monopoly. You sure you didn’t say OPC tests with TfW in-house? Some TOCs and FOCs do it.

Do you remember what kind of tests you had to do?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

Testing is still done with the OPC. TfW just run them in-house. They will take whatever your last scores were

GPR

How odd - the ad is still up.
The advertisement states that the jobs are for the talent pool for any vacancies that might arise in 24/25.
I don’t think it’ll be a quick process like Avanti was were they needed x amount of drivers and on courses by a certain date.

kajojek3232

The advertisement states that the jobs are for the talent pool for any vacancies that might arise in 24/25.
I don’t think it’ll be a quick process like Avanti was were they needed x amount of drivers and on courses by a certain date.
Yes, there is that. I have also spoken to one of the lovely managers at my station and she said that it’s for now AND for the talent pool so I guess some people will progress faster than others.

CJBX

I checked mine today and it now says 'Online Testing'.

Yes, there is that. I have also spoken to one of the lovely managers at my station and she said that it’s for now AND for the talent pool so I guess some people will progress faster than others.
Good to know, on the application it did say entry date as 'immediate' so it would make sense there are a number of vacancies ready to go and then an amount required for a talent pool.

Andywen

I checked mine today and it now says 'Online Testing'.

Good to know, on the application it did say entry date as 'immediate' so it would make sense there are a number of vacancies ready to go and then an amount required for a talent pool.
Having read this, I just went to check mine, and it also says online testing. Should we be receiving an email soon then?

CJBX

Having read this, I just went to check mine, and it also says online testing. Should we be receiving an email soon then?
I'm not sure, I wonder if this means that online testing for applicants is happening soon, or their system is testing our applications?

Brum_AVFC

I'm not sure, I wonder if this means that online testing for applicants is happening soon, or their system is testing our applications?
Mine says online testing too, Birmingham applicant. Each TOC is different, im yet to experience an XC application but having applied to Chiltern, who are also Arriva, I imagine it can be the same online testing they do? Not sure

Chrysalis

Last time it was RAAT and it probably still will be.
Great, the RAAT doesn't sound too bad. It feels a bit similar to TRP 1 though, in the sense that you read a text and then answer multiple choice questions. I'm not really sure what the difference is? Is it only that in TRP1 you listen to audio of a person reading the text, as well as get to read the text yourself, whilst in RAAT you only read?

7819Hinton

TRP1 is more a test of your ability to take on board new information, store it and then recall in order to answer questions about the passage. (short term memory recall)
The RAAT always allows you to look at the text/passage for each question. It’s looking to test your ability to apply rules in order to answer a question in relation to the passage. It requires speed, but more importantly accuracy in your answers.
I believe it’s testing some of those NTS’s in relation to the Role of a driver and the processes adopted within the trainee driver course.

Kieranmcd

Hi, thanks for this thread, I've been finding it very helpful. I have just found out I have reached the "online test" part of the application process. I have the GBT app downloaded and have been practicing but noticed a lot were saying to print this off to practice. Does anyone know what tests are online for this application? Do you think it will be the GBT etc online or is it best to practice these on paper? Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas, and good luck to everyone else!

Chrysalis

TRP1 is more a test of your ability to take on board new information, store it and then recall in order to answer questions about the passage. (short term memory recall)
The RAAT always allows you to look at the text/passage for each question. It’s looking to test your ability to apply rules in order to answer a question in relation to the passage. It requires speed, but more importantly accuracy in your answers.
I believe it’s testing some of those NTS’s in relation to the Role of a driver and the processes adopted within the trainee driver course.
OK, thanks. I'm waiting for OPC assessment dates with another TOC (part of GTR). If I were to fail this RAAT, would that affect my other application?

7819Hinton

OK, thanks. I'm waiting for OPC assessment dates with another TOC (part of GTR). If I were to fail this RAAT, would that affect my other application?
I guess it would only affect it if the other company also uses the RAAT as one of their on line tests. If you passed with one then it’s likely you wouldn’t have to do another with another company if it was in 6 months of having done the first, if that makes sense.
Of course there are always exceptions, as you’ll find out on here. (This is just my opinion)
My advice is always do your own research and take most things on here with a pinch of salt.