• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

TacoTraveller

I’m in the same boat. Surely we must hear something this week or next due to medicals and giving notice. I rang last week and all I’ve been told is June. Couldn’t specify a date.
That's what I was thinking June is approaching 4 weeks away (obviously it could be any date in June) but I need to give at least 4 weeks notice so I'm just anxiously waiting.

I keep thinking I'll get updates on Fridays as every Friday is when I either received a invitation or to find out results.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperS16v

I was told in my interview that the course will be mid to end of June. I would guess week commencing 17th or 24th June. So bearing in mind medicals and the usual 4 weeks notice we should hear this week If we are on that course. Best of luck to everyone!

dbabs

Fingers crossed for everyone! I found out I was successful last April and have been waiting patiently for a medical ever since (having mentally checked out of my current role the day I got the phone call, it’s safe to say it’s been a very long year!)

SuperS16v

Fingers crossed for everyone! I found out I was successful last April and have been waiting patiently for a medical ever since (having mentally checked out of my current role the day I got the phone call, it’s safe to say it’s been a very long year!)

Congratulations, I imagine it was a long wait, but you got there! When did you get the call?

dbabs

Sorry meant to say I am still waiting for a medical, the phone call last April was to say hang tight and they’ll be in touch. Hopefully the call we are waiting for will come soon …

TacoTraveller

Wow a year that's a long wait, hopefully we are all on the list of candidates but also there will be a lot of people who got through that aren't on this forum

bothtubes

Yeah I know. I’m praying to hear and I’m not even sure if I’ll have scored high enough to be on this course. lol.

I was told in my interview that the course will be mid to end of June. I would guess week commencing 17th or 24th June. So bearing in mind medicals and the usual 4 weeks notice we should hear this week If we are on that course. Best of luck to everyone!

When was you told this? How confident are you that it would be around that time?

SuperS16v

Yeah I know. I’m praying to hear and I’m not even sure if I’ll have scored high enough to be on this course. lol.

When was you told this? How confident are you that it would be around that time?

I interviewed late Feb I think, I don’t know the dates but mid to end of June would be those two weeks. I imagine they won’t start the course mid week or anything.

Just what I was told in interview so things might have changed by then anyway.

JH-OB

I met someone who already works for XC, and he knows of a few people that have already been allocated to the Jun course. He wasn’t sure if it was full though.

JH-OB

Oh crap. That worries me. Did he mention how many spots there are or when in June?
No, he just said that he knows of a few people allocated to it.

This is the issue with Talent Pool vacancies I guess. Passing everything is no guarantee of an offer.

TacoTraveller

Aren't there two courses for June though?

From what I've heard is a course of solely Birmingham applicants and a course for the other vacancies at other depots.

This may be rumour or just wishful thinking

JH-OB

Aren't there two courses for June though?

From what I've heard is a course of solely Birmingham applicants and a course for the other vacancies at other depots.

This may be rumour or just wishful thinking
At my DMI that’s what I was told, but they didn’t specify months.

TacoTraveller

Yeah this is what I was told to
I thought so but wasn't sure.

I mean it is still wishful thinking just to get on to the Birmingham course but it's better odds than just all depots being lumped together on a course.

The guy who told me I had passed just said he would be in touch once all the plans have been done, so I'll wishful thinking until I know if I've missed out or not

Last edited:

JustG

I was told June course. However still waiting for a formal offer and medical etc. I’ve got 4 weeks notice at my current place as well.

Tysoe

Beena accepted for Cambridge (pending medical). They wanted me on the June course, which I was told was 3rd June but I need more notice so been told I'll have a place on January course.
Should be booking medical this week

bothtubes

Beena accepted for Cambridge (pending medical). They wanted me on the June course, which I was told was 3rd June but I need more notice so been told I'll have a place on January course.
Should be booking medical this week
Congratulations. Pants about the notice and missing June. Is it a guarantee about the Jan course? Is your training at derby too?

Had a phone call earlier on in the week and I have past my DMI just need to do a medical and I should be on a course in mid june

Last edited:

LJBlackburn

Afternoon all!
I've just had the exciting news that I've made it into the talent pool for trainee driver at derby.
My question is this; What happens if your OPC test runs out during the wait?

I passed my OPC Stage 1 in Feb 2020 which is valid for 5 years but due to my notice period causing me to miss this June course, the next one will be early 2025.
Once you sign the contract, are you safe from your OPC running out or do you have to qualify as a drover before it does?

Cheers

Samzino

Established Member
Afternoon all!
I've just had the exciting news that I've made it into the talent pool for trainee driver at derby.
My question is this; What happens if your OPC test runs out during the wait?

I passed my OPC Stage 1 in Feb 2020 which is valid for 5 years but due to my notice period causing me to miss this June course, the next one will be early 2025.
Once you sign the contract, are you safe from your OPC running out or do you have to qualify as a drover before it does?

Cheers
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it has to be valid till the day you start actual training and mostly would be checked ahead of sending a contract for a course that is dated after its validity.

Manda2194

Did anyone else ever hear back from Manchester? I just checked the portal and my application has disappeared. From reading previous posts this is common but the process is looking very unlikely for me now