• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry free amendment questions

DeverseSam

Are the points below still applicable to XC free amendments please? (courtesy of Watershed)

“I've routinely changed Advance tickets just moments before the first booked train's departure. Occasionally the form is a little buggy and requires the use of desktop mode to work but in general it's a very easy-to-use facility.

It's also worth noting that you can't enter 'via' points when searching for your new journey - therefore if you want a slower itinerary for your new Advance ticket (e.g. for an overtaken operator such as WMT or Northern) you may struggle to find it.”

Also do other “low-cost amendment” providers allow the via point to be edited upon amendment? (eg railsplittrainsplit, Railsmartr, Uber?)

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can't comment on how the process works for Railsplit, but for Railsmartr and Uber there isn't currently an online facility to change your Advance.

Instead, you buy a new (qualifying) replacement ticket the same way you'd buy any ticket, and then contact Customer Services afterwards with details of your new ticket in order to get a refund on your original Advance.

The usual Advance amendment rules still apply despite the process working by means of a refund. The replacement ticket has to be for the same journey, you have to request the change before the scheduled departure time of the first train on your original Advance, and if the new ticket is cheaper, you'll only be refunded whatever your new ticket costs - not the full cost of your original ticket.

Uber doesn't allow you to enter via points at all, and Railsmartr doesn't allow you to do so in the UI but you can add &via=XXX (where XXX is the code for your desired "via" station) to the end of the URL as a workaround.

DeverseSam

Can't comment on how the process works for Railsplit

Thank you, sorry I meant trainsplit

Uber doesn't allow you to enter via points at all, and Railsmartr doesn't allow you to do so in the UI but you can add &via=XXX (where XXX is the code for your desired "via" station) to the end of the URL as a workaround.
Very useful and therefore better than crosscountry for amendments

Adam Williams

Established Member
Also do other “low-cost amendment” providers allow the via point to be edited upon amendment?
I'm not sure what qualifies a retailer as being "low cost-amendment" but TrainSplit will allow a Via point change when amending via the refund form, but the origin and destination and number of passengers must remain the same.

The form should work on both desktop and mobile, as it uses responsive design.

DeverseSam

I'm not sure what qualifies a retailer as being "low cost-amendment" but TrainSplit will allow a Via point change when amending via the refund form, but the origin and destination and number of passengers must remain the same.

The form should work on both desktop and mobile, as it uses responsive design.
Thank you. And £5 per booking is low cost in my view !

1D54

Due to action short of a strike XC have cancelled the 07:30 New Street - Cardiff service on Saturday. What are the odds on me getting away with catching the Plymouth service and changing at Bristol Parkway even though i have split tickets that include University which of course this train doesn't stop at?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Due to action short of a strike XC have cancelled the 07:30 New Street - Cardiff service on Saturday. What are the odds on me getting away with catching the Plymouth service and changing at Bristol Parkway even though i have split tickets that include University which of course this train doesn't stop at?
I can think of literally only one TM who might give you hassle (the same bloke who is notorious for refusing Weekend 1st upgrades on Advances in an empty 1st carriage :lol: ), otherwise I really don’t think you’ll have any issues, most XC staff are sound.

You might want to ask GWR for a reservation on Twitter - they’re normally very responsive - and there is also a workaround to do it yourself on the GWR website.

1D54

Thanks Merseysider, just the response i was hoping for.

Doubled checked with the TM before boarding at New Street and she couldn't have been more friendly. "as long as tickets are valid then of course you can get on" she replied.

Last edited: