• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

cragdrummer

1V52 & 1E67 had been planned to operate with an HST but the PHBT just north of Newcastle has trapped the stock in Scotland.
Thanks for the heads up, thankfully I checked this morning and saw, absolutely gutted but obviously thoughts with the family of the person involved. Change of plan for us now, 3x castle class sets instead

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
2 of the sets are at Doncaster for overhaul (although who knows if this will be completed), so there isn't many spare coaches available.
Other than the five spare TS that they have for such eventualities. Too much effort for Laira, though, it would appear.

louis97

Established Member
Other than the five spare TS that they have for such eventualities. Too much effort for Laira, though, it would appear.
At least one, maybe two of the spare TS vehicles are also at Doncaster. Plus I think one of the spare vehicles is already in the 6 coach set going around.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

It's interesting that Laira managed to do an HST set swap today. But the set they took in was the 7 car one, not the 6 car.

Don't understand the logic of keeping some of the spares at Doncaster either.

But there was me thinking the spare cars were there to replace defective ones in sets. Obviously it all follows some logic beyond my cognisance.

louis97

Established Member
It's interesting that Laira managed to do an HST set swap today. But the set they took in was the 7 car one, not the 6 car.

Don't understand the logic of keeping some of the spares at Doncaster either.

But there was me thinking the spare cars were there to replace defective ones in sets. Obviously it all follows some logic beyond my cognisance.
The swap took place because of a fault with the inward set.

The spares at Doncaster are not there for fun, they are there for overhaul just like the other coaches there.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The swap took place because of a fault with the inward set.

The spares at Doncaster are not there for fun, they are there for overhaul just like the other coaches there.

If there was a spare set available (as yesterday seems to prove) I was just puzzled why it wasn't used days ago to replace the short set.

I wasn't suggesting that the spares were at Doncaster for fun; just puzzled about the planning which meant that not only 2 sets out of 5 were in Works but also some of the spare coaches.

I have to say that, in the days in the distant past when I was involved, if more than 40% of one of the sub-sector's loco pools had been in works at once there would have been strong words from the business about poor planning by the C.&.M.E.. I guess the world has moved on.

louis97

Established Member
If there was a spare set available (as yesterday seems to prove) I was just puzzled why it wasn't used days ago to replace the short set.

I wasn't suggesting that the spares were at Doncaster for fun; just puzzled about the planning which meant that not only 2 sets out of 5 were in Works but also some of the spare coaches.

I have to say that, in the days in the distant past when I was involved, if more than 40% of one of the sub-sector's loco pools had been in works at once there would have been strong words from the business about poor planning by the C.&.M.E.. I guess the world has moved on.
A set being available at short notice to prevent a cancellation is not the same as having a spare set available.

It looks like the 6 car set is actually being swapped today.

I'm not sure on the exact status of the vehicles, but its possible that if they are due overhaul they couldn't be in traffic even if they were at Laira.

I agree it is poor planning, but unfortunately I witness poor planning by the railway all the time in my day to day job.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi all
Just trying to plan some possible XC HST trips, probably sats as assume sundays are likely to be busier, and wondering about trips both in the run up to and after the May timetable change.

At the moment I believe that if the diagrams are broadly to plan weekdays and sats there are 2 southbound trips and 2 northbound (please correct me if this is wrong!)
ie
1V44 Leeds to Plymouth
1V50 Edinburgh to Plymouth
1S51 Plymouth to Edinburgh
1E63 Plymouth to Leeds

Is there any indication yet of what the service pattern might be like after the summer timetable commences on Sunday 21 May 2023?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Im visiting UK the coming weekend and will try to make a trip with a XC HST on Sunday (April 23). Looking at RealTimeTrains from last Sunday it seemed to be HST in the trains:
1V52 0935 York to Plymouth
1V56 0908 Edinburgh to Plymouth
1S55 1427 Plymouth to Edinburgh
1E67 1627 Plymouth to Leeds
(Three train sets neded...)

Is this the normal circulation? Anyone who knows if this is the plan for the comming Sunday too?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Im visiting UK the coming weekend and will try to make a trip with a XC HST on Sunday (April 23). Looking at RealTimeTrains from last Sunday it seemed to be HST in the trains:

Is this the normal circulation? Anyone who knows if this is the plan for the comming Sunday too?
Hi and welcome - I think the HST schedule for sunday 23rd is supposed to be:

08.11 Leeds to Plymouth
09.08 Edinburgh to Plymouth
14.27 Plymouth to Edinburgh
18.27 Plymouth to Leeds

If you check on the day or maybe night before any XC listed train on Real Time Trains (Detailed) pages listing 7 carriages would be an HST in my view.

If you buy a flexible ticket (ie Not an 'Advance Single') then you can swap onto a different time train if you need to on the day - eg Off Peak, Super Off Peak or Day Return tickets would be cheaper ones valid at weekends that are still flexible.

Also if a saturday / sunday or Bank Holiday you can pay 'Weekend First' supplement to travel in 1st class. You buy these supplements from the gaurd / conductor on board- so just get on with your standard class ticket, find a vacant / unreserved seat in the 1st class carriages and ask to pay pay the Weekend First supplement when they check your ticket or go and find them when you get on to pay it. The supplements are banded depending on how long your journey is eg £10/£15/£20 per single journey in 1st class at the weekend. If you say where to and from you aim to travel, can advise you on that price you would expect to pay.

It's more spacious seating, mostly at table seats with good alignment for the windows, so if you are making a special trip you may think it worth the extra to enhance the experience, especially as the HSTs will be withdrawn by late autumn and all services will move over to far less comfortable trains than the HSTs.

sufian123

hi

engineering works last Sunday. Usual Sundays are:

1V48 0811 Leeds to Plymouth
1S55 Plymouth to Edinburgh

1V56 Edinburgh to Plymouth
1E75 Plymouth to Leeds

Subject to alteration. Best to check on the day.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Meanwhile is there reasonable prospect of both HST sets operating the 2 north and 2 southbound services tomorrow (sat 22nd)?

I see one has been cancelled today south of Newcastle and thus no corresponding northbound working, but this seems to be due to a fatality on the line as opposed to a problem with the HST, as that commenced the run from Edinburgh as planned. There was one Voyager substitution on weds 19th, again due to a fatality.

class 9

Meanwhile is there reasonable prospect of both HST sets operating the 2 north and 2 southbound services tomorrow (sat 22nd)?

I see one has been cancelled today south of Newcastle and thus no corresponding northbound working, but this seems to be due to a fatality on the line as opposed to a problem with the HST, as that commenced the run from Edinburgh as planned. There was one Voyager substitution on weds 19th, again due to a fatality.
1V50 was terminated at Newcastle & returned to Edinburgh, it then worked 1v62 South.
So tonight they'll be a HST at Leeds and Edinburgh, so tomorrow's 2 workings should be OK.

WesternLancer

Established Member
1V50 was terminated at Newcastle & returned to Edinburgh, it then worked 1v62 South.
So tonight they'll be a HST at Leeds and Edinburgh, so tomorrow's 2 workings should be OK.
Thank you - that's really helpful to read. Appreciated!

WesternLancer

Established Member

Have you had any luck today? Hope so.
Yesterday I went south from midlands and north back again from Plymouth and tho both trains were subject to delays of between 15 and 30 mins roughly it was nothing serious enough to cause any problems for me.
1st class was very lightly used (no more than 2 or 3 pre booked reservations and v few walk up users) and Weekend First is not promoted by on train announcements as far as I was aware so easy to get great seats. Std class was busy and well used but not crowded.

Established Member
Last Friday had a Cross Country HST on the 1203 to Bristol from Edinburgh
The line was shut south of Newcastle so the 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth terminated at Newcastle before working:
0933 Newcastle - Edinburgh
1203 Edinburgh - Bristol
1935 Bristol - Leeds

route101

Established Member
The line was shut south of Newcastle so the 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth terminated at Newcastle before working:
0933 Newcastle - Edinburgh
1203 Edinburgh - Bristol
1935 Bristol - Leeds
I thought it was related to the disruption.

Apedlar12

Hi all
Just trying to plan some possible XC HST trips, probably sats as assume sundays are likely to be busier, and wondering about trips both in the run up to and after the May timetable change.

At the moment I believe that if the diagrams are broadly to plan weekdays and sats there are 2 southbound trips and 2 northbound (please correct me if this is wrong!)
ie
1V44 Leeds to Plymouth
1V50 Edinburgh to Plymouth
1S51 Plymouth to Edinburgh
1E63 Plymouth to Leeds

Is there any indication yet of what the service pattern might be like after the summer timetable commences on Sunday 21 May 2023?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I heard a little while ago that they may have been reducing down to one set per day but I don't know if there was any truth in that or if plans have changed since...

lammergeier

I heard a little while ago that they may have been reducing down to one set per day but I don't know if there was any truth in that or if plans have changed since...
I believe the plan is 2 diagrams per day to continue until September when it reduces to one, then withdrawn fully in October. I've not seen the May diagrams but I assume the two diagrams will be the same as currently.

Train Boy

I believe the plan is 2 diagrams per day to continue until September when it reduces to one, then withdrawn fully in October. I've not seen the May diagrams but I assume the two diagrams will be the same as currently.

This is my understanding, except the 1227 Plymouth - Edinburgh will be extended and terminate at Glasgow Central instead.

Ayman Ilham

0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth on Tuesday (25th April) departing Derby, which is officially the first HST set I've ridden in (better late than never); hopefully this is one of the HST diagrams that remain after May, cos I'm considering going full whack to Plymouth on this particular diagram some point this Summer if I do the ALR. I caught this from Leeds (although it was running 20-ish minutes late but was worth the wait), which was the easiest place for me to bash one from.

WesternLancer

Established Member
0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth on Tuesday (25th April) departing Derby, which is officially the first HST set I've ridden in (better late than never); hopefully this is one of the HST diagrams that remain after May, cos I'm considering going full whack to Plymouth on this particular diagram some point this Summer if I do the ALR. I caught this from Leeds (although it was running 20-ish minutes late but was worth the wait), which was the easiest place for me to bash one from.
Nice clip on a nice bright day! I would def be doing the whole route Edinboro to Plymouth if I had the chance - esp as the sets are still in nice condition and comfortable - v nice in 1st too (I see a weekend 1st upgrade is £25 the whole way)

Ayman Ilham

Nice clip on a nice bright day! I would def be doing the whole route Edinboro to Plymouth if I had the chance - esp as the sets are still in nice condition and comfortable - v nice in 1st too (I see a weekend 1st upgrade is £25 the whole way)
Cheers, and even in standard class the spaciousness is a massive step-up from the Voyagers, as the legroom I had was insane! Ambiance is definitely brilliant, especially on that day; think of how much nicer that would've felt going down Dawlish with the view of the seaside out the window! Hopefully at least one of these sets gets preserved cos CrossCountry did a really good job with them!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Cheers, and even in standard class the spaciousness is a massive step-up from the Voyagers, as the legroom I had was insane! Ambiance is definitely brilliant, especially on that day; think of how much nicer that would've felt going down Dawlish with the view of the seaside out the window! Hopefully at least one of these sets gets preserved cos CrossCountry did a really good job with them!
Yes, I did that run on Saturday - weather not ideal but the views still great beyond Exeter. And indeed all aspects of the train interior far superior to a Voyager or indeed a GW Castle Class HST interior for that matter.
Indeed the XC HSTs would make good charter trains if an operator wanted them, I would have thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.