• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry's catering offering (2015-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I am holidaying in Northumberland next week and propose to have a day out in Edinburgh travelling from Berwick .

In first class will I get fed on either the out journey or return journey on cross country or VTEC

Thanks in advance

On a journey that short probably not unless you proactively ask the crew (who may not be visible)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrism20

Established Member
I am holidaying in Northumberland next week and propose to have a day out in Edinburgh travelling from Berwick .

In first class will I get fed on either the out journey or return journey on cross country or VTEC

Thanks in advance

If there is a First Class Host on more than likely you will get tea/coffee with cake and biscuits. They will normally ask anyone who joined at Berwick.

If it's only the trolley staff more than likely nothing.

Silver Cobra

Thanks in advance

I've had two journeys between Edinburgh and Berwick in first class with VTEC within the last year (one return journey and one single), so I can detail my experiences.

For the first journey, which was on an ALR last year in the summer, on the outbound, I was offered a cold drink and crisps/cake/fruit, and I was also asked if I wanted anything from the 'rest of the day' menu. I declined the offer, explaining I was only travelling as far as Berwick. For my return, as the food service was winding down for the arrival into Edinburgh, I was given a cold drink, two slices of cake and a pack of crisps (this was when it was still slices of cake rather than pre-packed muffins :P ).

For the second journey, which was this past August, as there was only a trolley service being run through first class with the full service only commencing from Newcastle (this was a service from Aberdeen), I was only offered a hot or cold drink and snacks.

So I would say it's quite likely you'll get something, on your return leg at the least, but expect it to be snacks rather than a meal. One thing I would suggest for your return leg is to travel in coach J/K or L. The closer you are to the kitchen/crew area, the more likely you are to get something before your arrival into Berwick, especially if first class is rather full.

Last edited:
Thank you all, most helpful . Looking forward to the journey rather than the food or drink , never done any of the line between Newcastle and Edinburgh doing most of my travel on the west Coast lines or the east coast from Leeds south.

joncombe

Thank you all, most helpful . Looking forward to the journey rather than the food or drink , never done any of the line between Newcastle and Edinburgh doing most of my travel on the west Coast lines or the east coast from Leeds south.

This is the best stretch of the ECML in my opinion. Be sure to get a seat on the right hand side of the train when going north and left side when going south for the views over the coast. The line runs right along the cliff tops for a while north of Berwick, it is quite spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.