• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail and Greater Anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I have done some reading into this across the various threads where it has appeared but I can't seem to get my head around exactly how crossrail will affect Greater Anglia drivers, specifically those on the West Anglia side.

Does anyone have a better idea what services will go and what will remain? I understand that the Liv St - Chingford/Enfield/Cheshunt stoppers will go over to Crossrail but does that mean GA won't have any services there at all or even stop at the 'inner' stations such as Bethnal Green etc?

Also, is it now any clearer what will happen with the Hertford East branch?

I'm soon to start with GA at Cambridge as a driver and I'm a bit worried that if GA loose half of their network they may have too many drivers and no need for me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
As far as I know the only bit going to crossrail is the Shenfeild shuttles, the other routes are going over to "TfL Control" but what that means yet remains to be seen IMO.

robby p

The problem is you're asking a question that I doubt even AGA/TFL know exactly.

The basics are as you said about the WA inners but the Hertford branch will stay AGA. Staff and stations will transfer but the plan at the start is to still have AGA maintain the class 315/317 units it requires (I believe roughly 15 of each) at Ilford EMUD.

As a Cambridge driver, you will simply loose the inner work and take on more Cambridge work that Chingford drivers did previously.

There was talk about adding an hourly Stansted Airport to Cambridge shuttle and also AGA services running to King Lynn even off peak so I doubt that they will have surplus drivers in the long run.

TheEdge

Established Member
As said the GEML Metros are going to Crossrail. There is meant to be some movement in the West with some services meant to be going to LOROL (not sure of the exact ones).

Generally the main impact on staff is those moving from GA will simply be TUPED across. I don't think Cambridge will be impacted all that much at all.

Latecomer

Indeed there's confusion in the original post between Crossrail and the London Overground. The Chingford, Enfield and Cheshunt stopping services will be managed by LOROL from I believe May 2015 until the end of their concession. I would imagine that current GA staff will indeed be TUPE'd across. What will be interesting in the longer term is whether they will be given the option of switching to LOROL T&C's with a fair old pay increase but perhaps more unfavourable conditions around Sunday's etc. I wonder what the costings are in the contract in relation to this. As time goes on it would be difficult to imagine a driver pay differential existing on the LO network.

SPADTrap

Established Member
The problem is you're asking a question that I doubt even AGA/TFL know exactly.

The basics are as you said about the WA inners but the Hertford branch will stay AGA. Staff and stations will transfer but the plan at the start is to still have AGA maintain the class 315/317 units it requires (I believe roughly 15 of each) at Ilford EMUD.

As a Cambridge driver, you will simply loose the inner work and take on more Cambridge work that Chingford drivers did previously.

There was talk about adding an hourly Stansted Airport to Cambridge shuttle and also AGA services running to King Lynn even off peak so I doubt that they will have surplus drivers in the long run.

Thanks all, I do appear to be confused with Crossrail and TfL!

Does that mean that they will "borrow" those trains from GA until they have their own? And I'm assuming return them afterwards? Nice to know I won't be made a surplus, think I was just worrying too much!

Any ideas if the training course in November will be iPad based like some other TOCs?

transmanche

Established Member
Does that mean that they will "borrow" those trains from GA until they have their own?
Well most likely is that the stock will just transfer from GA to LO. And when LO get new stock, the old stuff will be cascaded alsewhere. (South Wales Valleys seems to be the considered opinion on these forums.)

robby p

Well I'm not too sure about who will be responsible for the units but we had an email regarding the transfer and it said they were negotiating a maintenance deal at Ilford EMUD.

I've not heard anyone mention anything about iPads but who knows by November. I'm not too sure if they'd be helpful anyway as pretty much everything you learn and get tested on while at the school has to be documented in your paper training file which follows you about throughout your driving career.

Status
Not open for further replies.