• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossRail and Northern Line at Liv. Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

i3lu

Can someone explain me why on every CrossRail official maps are interchanges with the Northern Line at Liverpool Street?

5DsHUIB.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Can someone explain me why on every CrossRail official maps are interchanges with the Northern Line at Liverpool Street?

5DsHUIB.jpg

The West entrance of Liverpool St Crossrail station is actually at Moorgate (the platforms are 250m long). So there will be a Northern Line interchange there.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
For info, the east end of Crossrail Farringdon station will also connect with Barbican station. This doesn't offer any extra connections though. Crossrail 2 is supposed to have a double-ended station serving Euston and Kings Cross, so in a few years we will have some to rival the multi-name linked stations in Paris.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The attached drawing suggests that the centre of the platform tunnels may be nearer the Moorgate entrance?

Be interesting to see how they deal with PAYG charging. I expect someone who is daft enough to walk through the various double ended Crossrail stations from one entrance to the other will just have to be charged for the conventional station pair on the parallel tube line...

Attachments

• LiverpoolSt.jpg
    LiverpoolSt.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 95

plcd1

If you look here, you can see the planned layout, including that also Barbican-Farringdon will be turned into 1 Crossrail station.

http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-london/

Barbican and Farringdon won't really be one complex. Yes there will be a physical link between the tube platforms and Crossrail but it is very low capacity and designed to effect mobility impaired egress from Barbican in the event of that being required. That is the stated purpose of the works / facility in the supporting documentation for the planning application.

There are no stairs or escalators between the tube and Crossrail station - just a lift which goes down to an intermediate level between the two banks of escalators at the eastern ticket hall at Farringdon Crossrail. IIRC there are inclined lifts alongside the escalators in the Crossrail eastern ticket hall. Barbican gains two lifts and a footbridge at the western end of the tube platforms but, again, only really designed for mobility impaired users and not tens or hundreds of able bodied passengers. I've spent a long time poring over plans and documents to try to work out the arrangements here.

Quakkerillo

Barbican and Farringdon won't really be one complex. Yes there will be a physical link between the tube platforms and Crossrail but it is very low capacity and designed to effect mobility impaired egress from Barbican in the event of that being required. That is the stated purpose of the works / facility in the supporting documentation for the planning application.

There are no stairs or escalators between the tube and Crossrail station - just a lift which goes down to an intermediate level between the two banks of escalators at the eastern ticket hall at Farringdon Crossrail. IIRC there are inclined lifts alongside the escalators in the Crossrail eastern ticket hall. Barbican gains two lifts and a footbridge at the western end of the tube platforms but, again, only really designed for mobility impaired users and not tens or hundreds of able bodied passengers. I've spent a long time poring over plans and documents to try to work out the arrangements here.

Okay, I worded it badly. Just wanted to show that the crossrail stations don't follow the same size/scheme as the underground, but that they can connect to multiple stations at once due to their design.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Was consideration ever given to naming the Crossrail station Liverpool Street/Moorgate, rather on the lines of Chatelet/Les Halles in Paris? I would imagine the idea was turned down because it might be considered too confusing, or too long-winded. It would though better indicate both the transfer opportunities, not just confined to the Northern Line either, and the physical location of the platform exits.

Hophead

Established Member
Was consideration ever given to naming the Crossrail station Liverpool Street/Moorgate, rather on the lines of Chatelet/Les Halles in Paris? I would imagine the idea was turned down because it might be considered too confusing, or too long-winded. It would though better indicate both the transfer opportunities, not just confined to the Northern Line either, and the physical location of the platform exits.

London already has examples of both approaches in "Kings Cross St Pancras" and Bank / Monument.

Status
Not open for further replies.