• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

subk2010

I hope these questions have not been asked before but does anyone know
Where can I get the limited edition Oyster card and if it is from a machine how do I know I will not get a plain one?
If a Spaniel wanted to ride on the first train out of Paddington next Tuesday to Abbey Wood and was travelling from Baker Street would it be better to use the HandC or the Bakerloo to get to Paddington ?
According to TfL, it should be available in all Zone 1 LU Stations. As far as I know, Charing X, Paddington, King's Cross St Pancras sell the limited edition of Oyster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tnc1997

If a Spaniel wanted to ride on the first train out of Paddington next Tuesday to Abbey Wood and was travelling from Baker Street would it be better to use the HandC or the Bakerloo to get to Paddington ?
I would have thought that the Bakerloo line would offer a better interchange to the Elizabeth line at Paddington as the Bakerloo line has a direct interchange passageway to the Elizabeth line (provided that it is open) whereas the Hammersmith & City line platforms are on the other side of the national rail station to the Elizabeth line station.

Dstock7080

Established Member
According to TfL, it should be available in all Zone 1 LU Stations. As far as I know, Charing X, Paddington, King's Cross St Pancras sell the limited edition of Oyster.
+ Oyster Ticket Stops in Zone 1, TfL Visitor Centres, at Heathrow stations, and Elizabeth line stations from Paddington - Abbey Wood, Paddington - West Drayton and Liverpool Street - Brentwood.

ijmad

Established Member
I hope these questions have not been asked before but does anyone know
Where can I get the limited edition Oyster card and if it is from a machine how do I know I will not get a plain one?

I've heard that the Tottenham Court Road tube station oyster card dispensers were loaded up with them, but that was a few days ago.

At Paddington, the transfer from the Bakerloo is considerably shorter, although both are walkable with a dog. You may want to deliberately go above ground rather than use the link tunnel if you want to walk in through the fancy entrance on Eastbourne Terrace.

345 050

I've heard that the Tottenham Court Road tube station oyster card dispensers were loaded up with them, but that was a few days ago.

At Paddington, the transfer from the Bakerloo is considerably shorter, although both are walkable with a dog. You may want to deliberately go above ground rather than use the link tunnel if you want to walk in through the fancy entrance on Eastbourne Terrace.
Either way, the Bakerloo is closer, whether you use the passageway or not. H&C is long trek from other side of station.

ijmad

Established Member
Awfully Designed Tube Map. Don't know what happened to Mile End, seems rather weird.
I know it's not possible in all places, but I do wish the connector blobs would more accurately reflect the length of the walk.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Message received today from TfL (Julie Dixon, Interim Customer & Revenue Director) :

The central section on the Elizabeth line will open on 24 May 2022. The line will initially operate as three separate railways, in the east, west and through central London. Services from Reading, Heathrow and Shenfield will connect with the central tunnels from autumn this year.

Until autumn 2022:
  • There will be 12 trains an hour (a train every 5 minutes), running between Paddington and Abbey Wood from 06:30 – 23:00, Monday to Saturday. Bond Street is currently closed and will open later on this year.
  • There will be no Sunday services. A special service will operate on Sunday 5 June 2022 for the Platinum Jubilee weekend running from 08:00-22:00
  • Services between Liverpool Street and Shenfield, and Paddington to Heathrow and Reading will continue to operate on Sundays as they do now
Elizabeth line customers travelling between:
  • Shenfield and the central section of the route will need to change trains at Liverpool Street, walking to/from the new Elizabeth line Liverpool Street station
  • Reading or Heathrow and the central section will need to change trains at Paddington, walking to/from the new Paddington Elizabeth line station
  • Paddington and Abbey Wood only will not need to change
From autumn 2022:

The lines from Reading, Heathrow and Shenfield will connect with the central tunnels, so customers travelling:
  • From Reading and Heathrow can travel east all the way to Abbey Wood without changing at Paddington
  • From Shenfield can travel west all the way to Paddington without changing at Liverpool Street
By May 2023:
  • The separate sections of the Elizabeth line will be fully connected and you will be able to travel seamlessly from Abbey Wood to Heathrow and Reading, and from Shenfield to Heathrow
  • 24 trains an hour will run at the busiest times between Paddington and Whitechapel
Find out how much it will cost to travel on the Elizabeth line.

theking

Awfully Designed Tube Map. Don't know what happened to Mile End, seems rather weird.

Absolutely, look at the mess that is Liverpool Street doesn't even look like the Shenfield line stops there the connector is so far away.

U-Bahnfreund

Absolutely, look at the mess that is Liverpool Street doesn't even look like the Shenfield line stops there the connector is so far away.
To be honest, it looks like there is a shuttle service from Moorgate to the unnamed blob from where the Shenfield and Overground trains start. Good luck trying to find that shuttle

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

It’s just getting increasingly complex now that a lot of luxuries are having to be taken about geography and reality!

Is the Elizabeth line station Canary Wharf or West India Quay?

View attachment 114930
It’s equidistant to both really (about 250m / 150m away I think). Someone above posted the actual distances as per the DLR carline diagram.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Peter Sarf

Established Member
That is a confusing map. Why is the section from West Drayton to Reading all in zone 6 ?. I know there is a note there but surely it would not be necessary if they just got the zones right. As it is it is hard to tell if West Drayton is inside zone 6 or beyond zone 6 ?. Currently it would follow that the bit to Heathrow is also outside zone 6 - is it ?. Inconsistent.
It’s just getting increasingly complex now that a lot of luxuries are having to be taken about geography and reality!

It’s equidistant to both really (about 250m / 150m away I think). Someone above posted the actual distances as per the DLR carline diagram.
Trouble is there is nothing on the map to say what the station ON the Elizabeth line is actually called. Choice of two names !.

Designed by committee ?.

Mollman

Established Member

I would have thought that the Bakerloo line would offer a better interchange to the Elizabeth line at Paddington as the Bakerloo line has a direct interchange passageway to the Elizabeth line (provided that it is open) whereas the Hammersmith & City line platforms are on the other side of the national rail station to the Elizabeth line station.

Don't you mean 'Barkerloo' (I'll get my coat)

JaJaWa

Established Member
That is a confusing map. Why is the section from West Drayton to Reading all in zone 6 ?. I know there is a note there but surely it would not be necessary if they just got the zones right. As it is it is hard to tell if West Drayton is inside zone 6 or beyond zone 6 ?. Currently it would follow that the bit to Heathrow is also outside zone 6 - is it ?. Inconsistent.
Looks like they forgot to add a white border to that zone like they did for: Zone 2 > Zones 2/3, Zone 6 > Zone 8, and the London Trams fare zone.

ijmad

Established Member
What the heck is going on with the Bethnal Greens? That's a 7 minute walk according to Google Maps, they seem to be miles apart with no dotted line!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Trouble is there is nothing on the map to say what the station ON the Elizabeth line is actually called. Choice of two names !.

Designed by committee ?.

West Drayton - Reading is the same as the old map. It’s a shade of blue signifying it isn’t in the zones.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Looks like they forgot to add a white border to that zone like they did for: Zone 2 > Zones 2/3, Zone 6 > Zone 8, and the London Trams fare zone.
It ought to be like the part at the top of the map that has a note saying "outside fare zones". As it is it is lost within zone 6.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Anyway this is mercifully hopefully just a temporary mess for a few months until through running begins.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there any chance the barriers quietly open on Monday 23rd?
Presumably there is a chance but given so much emphasis has been placed on the 0630 start on Tuesday 24th and suggestions that there are press / VIP access on the Monday it seems unlikely.

The trains are running without passengers today and every day before Tuesday except Sunday so there doesn't seem to be anything stopping a soft opening at anytime on one of those days, not just Monday.

A soft opening before Tuesday should mean there then isn't a crowd at Paddington or Abbey Wood on Tuesday morning at 0630 which may be a good thing.

The whole point of a soft opening is that you don't tell people whether there is one or not.

Last edited:

Brooke

What the heck is going on with the Bethnal Greens? That's a 7 minute walk according to Google Maps, they seem to be miles apart with no dotted line!
It’s off topic, but geography is getting quite tenuous around there!

Bethnal Green overground is indeed not a million miles from the tube station … and is south-west not away to the north.

Mile End seems weird as someone said. And Stratford International gets ever-closer to Leyton!

hwl

Established Member
Anyway this is mercifully hopefully just a temporary mess for a few months until through running begins.
Exactly, people are getting far too wound up over temporary issues which will mostly be gone in 5months or 6months for Bank / 12 months for Paddington.

Status
Not open for further replies.