• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
What I find harder and harder to understand is how they kept on saying that the original 2018 deadline for opening would be met until it was very close, when we've since seen the vast scale of things that still needed to be done and couldn't conceivably have been done in the time available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Parts of it do seem like a lot of effort, for one trying to design a system that would have 3 separate signalling systems interconnect cannot be easy.

Taunton

Established Member
What I find harder and harder to understand is how they kept on saying that the original 2018 deadline for opening would be met until it was very close, when we've since seen the vast scale of things that still needed to be done and couldn't conceivably have been done in the time available.
It was fibs.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
It was fibs.
A cautious understatement.

I do recall this forum had a thread about Crossrail, and a friend of someone working on the project posted that there was no chance of completing on time. If memory serves, he was shouted down. I'd like to read through that thread again.

kevin_roche

Parts of it do seem like a lot of effort, for one trying to design a system that would have 3 separate signalling systems interconnect cannot be easy.

From what I have gathered the interconnect has been the relatively easy bit. ETCS with support for multiple signalling systems is in use elsewhere in Europe and has been for some time. One of the big issues has been the Bombardier ETCS implementation itself which does not seem to have been stable. There was also an issue with the chosen axel counter technology being triggered by some trains passing over a nearby gap in the overhead line which I believe delayed things for a while (nothing to do with the 345s but a different EMU).

JaJaWa

Established Member
I posted on my blog about today the new purple roundels at Canary Wharf (Elizabeth Line/Crossrail.)

These roundels have been up a few days. Clearly they're hoping to get this end of the line sorted out soon like the remainder of the line (unlike Bond Street - Davies Street side - if one can see inside, still shows little sign of progress.)

Canary Wharf’s purple roundels
The Paddington roundels have now been fixed and now also show "Elizabeth line"

londontransit

Thanks! There had been opinion it was wrong to display these as Paddington which is why I mentioned that. I personally wasn't bothered because its their property and they can do as they wish! It does of course demonstrate an inconsistent approach as to how the Elizabeth Line's corporate identity should be depicted.

I'll go and have a look later!

Edited to add:

Interesting that, I had a look. I also did some digging around and these roundels were changed early to mid November. The ones in the street still retain their Paddington titles whilst those at the actual entrances have changed to Elizabeth Line.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevin_roche

There is a new status report dated 20 December 2021 on the TfL website.

Among the information on trial operations are two paragraphs on software updates for various parts of the jigsaw which are taking place over the Christmas period.

Trial Operations
The first phase of Trial Operations commenced on 20 November, in line with the earliest forecast
dates. A phased approach to Trial Operations has been adopted to build greater resilience into the
railway and to allow for the earliest commencement of passenger services next year.

The phased approach will allow for the commissioning of the remaining tunnel ventilation system
software upgrades prior to Christmas, the ELR110 signalling software update, the commissioning
of the latest control and communications software (CMS28.0) and the replacement of voltage
transformers over the New Year. All of these upgrades provide further increases in operational
reliability of the routeway and signalling systems. Alstom will also be uploading the Alstom train fleet
software update, providing improved fleet reliability. These final fixes are supporting a pivot to
reliability and a focus on wider system issues which are important in the final completion of the
railway for revenue service.

The success of the commissioning of the software over Christmas and the transfer of Canary Wharf
station is critical to commencing phase 2 of Trial Operations. Final modifications to the safety
systems are being carried out at Canary Wharf station and it is now forecast to be transferred in the
coming weeks. As mentioned previously, Bond Street has been decoupled from the opening of the
railway and the team are working on a plan to get the earliest opening date for the station.
The programme is currently expecting to commence the second phase of Trial Operations in the
new year. This will involve a series of more complex exercises, including evacuations of trains and
stations. This will then be followed by a period of shadow running, operating timetabled services
ahead of the Elizabeth line opening.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The old thread regarding Western station rebuilds is now closed but the base of the canopy at Ealing Broadway P2/3 is now in place, presumably installed during the Xmas period.

Attachments

• A1A65239-E7DD-4076-BA66-781C4ED1B431.jpeg
    A1A65239-E7DD-4076-BA66-781C4ED1B431.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 207

Jpeg

Any news on how the work over Christmas/New Year went or when we might hear about it

InOban

Established Member
RTT shows trains operating at 5min headways... So whatever upgrades were installed to signalling or train software hasn't collapsed the system.

Bigbru

I thought I remember them saying Canary Wharf was due to be handed over by the end of the year, but I've not heard it's happened yet.

Snow1964

Established Member
Any news on how the work over Christmas/New Year went or when we might hear about it

The next TfL Elizabeth line committee Board meeting is 26th January, so would expect papers to be published 18th or 19th Jan.

These usually give a direct view update, rather than the PR spin version, although dates seem to be in the part2 (not public) section.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Staff update today:

Trial Operations for the Elizabeth line are now well underway after commencing back in November 2021.

Trial Operations is running in two phases, and the first phase has already seen some great exercises including scenarios dealing with a passenger ill on a train, reports of “trespassers” and even dealing with a “swan” on the line. While the scenarios are all made up (and no real swans were used) the responses are very real and help ensure teams are responding in a safe and efficient way.

The next phase involving mass evacuation exercises, and the many TfL colleagues who have signed up as volunteers, is expected to take place from the end of January. Anyone who has already registered interest in being a volunteer will receive direct communications with instructions from the Elizabeth line Trial Operations team.

reddragon

Established Member
Based on what I have just read in the New Civil Engineer and been told by contacts, these are the opening dates being suggested.

Target date to open = March 6th. To do so would get the railway running at its earliest date but would delay late running stations from opening, such as Woolwich / Bond Street / Abbey Wood and delay GE services to Shenfield & GW services by a lot.

Best current date to open all in stages by not delaying through running or late stations = Mid June

Down to earth plan - start timetabled running in May, open to passengers when ready maybe with reduced operating hours.

pacenotes

Didn't someone say recently they might scrap the staged opening and go full hog and open the whole lot in one go? Is that still on the cards?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Didn't someone say recently they might scrap the staged opening and go full hog and open the whole lot in one go? Is that still on the cards?

No.

First is Paddington - Abbey Wood.

Then the rest with a ‘reduced’ service to the west. Reduced being roughly today’s service plus a bit

Then Full service

mrmartin

Based on what I have just read in the New Civil Engineer and been told by contacts, these are the opening dates being suggested.

Target date to open = March 6th. To do so would get the railway running at its earliest date but would delay late running stations from opening, such as Woolwich / Bond Street / Abbey Wood and delay GE services to Shenfield & GW services by a lot.

Best current date to open all in stages by not delaying through running or late stations = Mid June

Down to earth plan - start timetabled running in May, open to passengers when ready maybe with reduced operating hours.

Didn't quite follow. Are you saying the March 6th date is the plan? How likely do your contacts think that will be?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Didn't quite follow. Are you saying the March 6th date is the plan?
It seems that the OP is saying that 6 March is a potential date for allowing the public to travel on Paddington to Abbey Wood services (and that date has been mentioned before) but the reality is that if it does open up on that date it will set back the start of operations on other parts of the route and it might be better to wait until a later date when it is 'more ready'.

Don't forget that the full Paddington to Abbey Wood service operates most days already but without passengers. However, once it is open to passengers, it becomes somewhat harder to do different testing such as a test of intensive through running from the two sides.

reddragon

Established Member
Didn't quite follow. Are you saying the March 6th date is the plan? How likely do your contacts think that will be?
As the article states, Contractors are being pushed to open the line on March (6th).

They also know that doing so delays core station opening dates plus Abbey Wood (full rewire under way) and prevents core testing for 24 train per hour for the next stages.

Acton1991

No.

First is Paddington - Abbey Wood.

Then the rest with a ‘reduced’ service to the west. Reduced being roughly today’s service plus a bit

Then Full service
Is this because they need to wait for a full timetable change to implement the full service in the West?

kevin_roche

Is this because they need to wait for a full timetable change to implement the full service in the West?
The current plan is to decouple the opening from the usual timetable change in May and December. In order to do that they plan to change the timetable on the GWML and GEML in may so that it is compatible with a reduced Elizabeth Line timetable (not the full 20/24 tph). Then when they start running trains from Reading To Abbey Wood they can do so without any change (or only minor change) to the GWML timetable and similarly run Trains from Shenfield to Paddington without changing the timetable on GEML. At a later date they plan to increase the frequency to the full service and run trains all the way through from the GEML to the GWML.

An increase in service on the GWML needs a full timetable change. Especially with respect to increasing the services to Heathrow and changing HEX services at Paddington back to the pattern prior to the current TfL rail services.

reddragon

Established Member
All but 2 core Stations completed

bond_street_station_-Crossrail-2.jpg

Crossrail’s main station contractors demobilised at all but two sites​

07 JAN, 2022 BY ROB HORGAN

Eight of the Elisabeth line’s 10 Central London stations have now been transferred to Transport for London (TfL), with main contractors demobilised.
Canary Wharf and Bond Street are now the only stations to be handed over to TfL with main work still ongoing.

Still to go: -

Core - Bond Street & canary Wharf
West = none
East = Ilford & Romford
SE = Abbey Wood

Non Multi

Still to go: -

Core - Bond Street & canary Wharf
West = none
East = Ilford & Romford
SE = Abbey Wood
West - Burnham, completion of the new ticket/gate line hall should be done this month. I'm therefore assuming the old ticket office on the platform will then be converted to a waiting room (6 months?).

Edit: As the site is in a cutting on all sides, my potato phone camera can't produce a decent picture of the real thing. I've attached the architectural renders below which are correct except for the station name signage, which has moved and is standard TfL Elizabeth Line white text on purple board.

Ealing Broadway - new canopies.

I'd expect there's other works ongoing at some of the stations that had new halls opened during 2021.

Attachments

• Euax1LgWQAEGrUz.jpg
    Euax1LgWQAEGrUz.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Euax1LkXEAA0gOq.jpg
    Euax1LkXEAA0gOq.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

ScotGG

Established Member
What's wrong with Abbey Woods wiring? It's only been up about 4 years!

nlogax

Established Member
Because like every other Crossrail station built, sub standard wiring was used that has to be replaced!

This is for the Crossrail bit apparently.

I might have missed this story. Who's labelled the wiring as sub-standard? Have a link?

All the wiring at Abbey Wood is for Crossrail. Third rail for everything else.

JN114

Established Member
All the wiring at Abbey Wood is for Crossrail. Third rail for everything else.

Station Domestic Wiring, not Traction Power

No link to hand but as I understand the goal posts moved on wiring standards between being specified/built and sign off required - similar to the extensive remedial works that have held up Canary Wharf station (which was by far the earliest to be substantially completed, yet one of the last for sign off)

Status
Not open for further replies.