• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail service pattern from May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfcfan

With planned Crossrail services from May 2023 now available on RTT, I thought I'd create some service diagrams showing peak / off-peak service. It's interesting to see the different service patterns.

This is a work in progress - please highlight any mistakes (spelling mistakes, etc).

Attachments

• crossrail_services_may_2023_off_peak.png
    crossrail_services_may_2023_off_peak.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 470
  • crossrail_services_may_2023_peak.png
    crossrail_services_may_2023_peak.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 457
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
So ... no more service from Canary Wharf to the British Airways terminal 5 at Heathrow. That should please Canary Wharf Management, who, unlike the burghers of Maryland or Seven Kings, contributed many millions on Crossrail provision beyond all the other funding precisely to gain better access to Heathrow.

Back to Addison Lee then.

Facing Back

So ... no more service from Canary Wharf to the British Airways terminal 5 at Heathrow. That should please Canary Wharf Management, who, unlike the burghers of Maryland or Seven Kings, contributed many millions on Crossrail provision beyond all the other funding precisely to gain better access to Heathrow.

Oh bugger really? - I was hoping for that. Yep, we'll use taxis or keep on going to City and changing in Paris

aleph_0

Is that really such a constraint to push you back onto a taxi? Changing at Heathrow Central is at most a 5 minute wait in either direction cross-platform from/to the Terminal 5 train.

Moderator note: Posts discussing abolishing Heathrow Express moved to:

Last edited by a moderator:

ELfan

Nice work. I think there's also a third pattern in the very off peak (eg to around 09:30 on a Sunday) where Abbey Wood to T4 is only 2tph but the Shenfield to T5 stops at the missed stops instead.

v199629

Will there be more Shenfield service running beyond Paddington in the future? As 2 tph seems a low number compared to trains to/from Abbey Wood.

matt_world2004

Established Member

Terminal 5 was never in the original service specification for crossrail iirc it got added in 2016. When canary wharf funded a contribution they didn't expect crossrail to go to terminal 5.

And it's not a difficult interchange just wait on the same platform for a Heathrow express or another Elizabeth line train

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will there be more Shenfield service running beyond Paddington in the future? As 2 tph seems a low number compared to trains to/from Abbey Wood.
That is intentional. Running west side to Abbey Wood and Paddington to Shenfield produces a more robust railway because it means that delays aren't transported from one side of London to the other.

There does seem to be a fascination about through journeys from Shenfield to stations beyond Paddington on this forum that, on the face of it, seems misplaced. It would be interesting to see a freedom of information request in due course that compares the number of journeys actually made on Oyster / Contactless from the west side to Canary Wharf, say, to those from the Shenfield route to anywhere on the west. I suspect that the Elizabeth Line planners have the balance correct.

Last edited:

fandroid

Established Member

It's at their request. So they can change to Heathrow Express at T1&3 and arrive in the style they are accustomed to at T5, rather than sitting sideways on the Liz Line.

With planned Crossrail services from May 2023 now available on RTT, I thought I'd create some service diagrams showing peak / off-peak service. It's interesting to see the different service patterns.

This is a work in progress - please highlight any mistakes (spelling mistakes, etc).
Nice graphics

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member

My employer's (big 4 accountant) expenses policy now insists on Crossrail to Heathrow from CW. I would bet most do, given the cost saving and the pretence that they care about the environment. Changing at Heathrow Central on the same platform is still dramatically quicker than a cab

cle

Established Member
Oh bugger really? - I was hoping for that. Yep, we'll use taxis or keep on going to City and changing in Paris
You’d add in a connection and hours to your journey, vs hopping off a train and getting back on, same platform, in minutes?

Also, even though it is sub-par as a terminal, the actual salubrious airlines are all at T3. BA is for the Shires/mid market, and they leave from home.

grandgarrande

Re T5: A Terminal 5 train is scheduled to depart four minutes after a Terminal 4 train and a London bound Crossrail train arrives four minutes behind a HEx from Terminal 5 at Heathrow 2&3

rd749249

From what I’ve been told. Some Abbey Wood to T5’s are still around in the mornings on all days of the week, earlier stablings into Plumstead, reversing at Ladbroke Grove probably on the depot lines and diagrammed use of the Abbey Wood siding during the day.

nunyabizniz

There will be more Gidea Park - Liverpool Street High Level peak direction workings.

From Gidea Park: 05:03, 06:45, 07:13, 07:43, 08:13, 08:51, 09:21.
From Liverpool Street: 16:10, 16:40, 17:09, 17:39, 18:09, 18:40.

PGAT

Established Member
I don’t think there will be enough capacity until Old Oak Common opens

cle

Established Member
Even then it’ll only get to OOC. Although I’d expect more tweaks, and maybe the odd 1-2tph extended if workable (although Reading-Maidenhead off peak seems most likely) - I have my eyes on the Hayes bay as the easiest to get to.

PGAT

Established Member
I believe 10tph is the limit on the relief lines so no more will go past Paddington/OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.