• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Croxley Rail Link final approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwrail

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23443173

An extension to the London Underground's Metropolitan Line to serve the centre of Watford has been given the final go-ahead.

The government gave the £118m Croxley Rail Link the all-clear through the Transport and Works Act Order.

The line will be extended to Watford Junction via Watford High Street and two new stations will open, including one near the town's football ground.

Boris Johnson signed the final work order for the Croxley Rail Link earlier this week, and the announcement made the BBC web site earlier this evening. He also confirmed that the current Watford met station would close. Work due to start next year and the link open in 2016.

There would be a spur off the met line after Croxley station, linking up to the old Croxley Green line. New stations at Cassiobridge and West Watford/Vicarage Road, before linking up with London Overground at Watford High Street and Watford Junction.

The only open issue is the name of one of the stations. TFL have gone off naming stations after streets, preferring areas. Local politicians have pointed out that Vicarage Road is known outside and makes more sense as a name - which it does.

Good news

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
Is that the station near the original Croxley Green station?

It's my understanding the old Met station would still be used for stock storage.

This is good news by the way!

kwrail

Is that the station near the original Croxley Green station?

It's my understanding the old Met station would still be used for stock storage.

This is good news by the way!

The new Cassiobridge station will be on the old branch line fairly close to where Croxley Green station was. Croxley Green station will not reopen. The spur to Watford Met will remain for stock storage, but there will be no passenger service to Watford Met after 2016.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Boris Johnson signed the final work order for the Croxley Rail Link earlier this week...

He doesn't have that sort of authority, surely?

If it's a normal TWAO, (Transport and Works Act Order), they're usually issued on behalf of the Secretary of State at the DfT; unfortunately there's usually quite a time lag before they appear on the DfT website...

BBC link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23443173

Last edited:

kwrail

He doesn't have that sort of authority, surely?

If it's a normal TWAO, (Transport and Works Act Order), they're usually issued on behalf of the Secretary of State at the DfT; unfortunately there's usually quite a time lag before they appear on the DfT website...

BBC link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23443173

Thats what happens if you quote the Watford Observer. But the TWAO has been signed - but not by Boris.

bicbasher

Established Member
Is the section where it uses former NR track be owned by TfL or NR? Obviously it'd share NR rails as it joins the London Overground section at Watford High Street.

tractakid

Wikipedia tells me there could be a "split service" trial, trains going to both Watford and Watford Junction.

"London TravelWatch believes that there is a business case for a Croxley Rail Link that retains Watford station as part of a split service, albeit with fewer overall benefits than LUL’s preferred option. The Panel recommends that a split service is trialled, serving both Watford and Watford Junction stations, to determine passenger numbers and issues involved with the running of a split service prior to a final decision on the closure of Watford station. The trial could last for two years from the opening of the Croxley Rail Link to 2018 when the new signalling is due to be completed on the Metropolitan line when there will, presumably, be major re-timetabling programme"

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wikipedia tells me there could be a "split service" trial, trains going to both Watford and Watford Junction.
No.

Firstly, Wikipedia doesn't say anything, that's almost as bad as saying "Google says.." it's someone who has edited the page who is saying it.

And it's not going to happen, and wouldn't be viable. The official website for the Croxley Green link makes that very clear!

http://www.croxleyraillink.com/media/29874/10 closure watford met.pdf

As part of the Croxley Rail Link’s ongoing development an ‘options
appraisal’ was carried out to see if there was any scope for running a
‘split service’ to both the Watford Met and to Watford Junction. The
appraisal found that a split service would result in there being more
losers than winners amongst those who currently use the Metropolitan
line and those who are likely to do so in future....

Also, sorry to nitpick, but our rules regarding articles are:

• If posting an article you should put the text in QUOTE tags

(that includes blog posts, Wikipedia posts, social media extracts, and any other external content)

Anyway, going back to the topic at hand, Watford met station is not in a particularly convenient location, and there will be relatively very few people who are worse off as a result of the switch to 2 new stations and new journey opportunities at the existing Watford National Rail stations.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thats what happens if you quote the Watford Observer. But the TWAO has been signed - but not by Boris.

That's what I thought probably happened. The actual Croxley link website couldn't be much more specific:

Notes for editors
The Secretary of State for Transport has issued a Transport and Works Act Order for the scheme granting the planning permissions, access rights and land transfers necessary for the scheme to go ahead.

The Mayor of London has agreed to the closure of the existing Watford Metropolitan terminus station to passenger services as part of the scheme.

http://www.croxleyraillink.com/latest-news/Croxley_Rail_Link_gets_final_go_ahead.htm

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

"London TravelWatch believes that ..."

A major problem with Wiki is that future projects are described differently in a number of separate places, in this case you are quoting redundant info from a page about one station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_tube_station

which seems to have never caught up with the real world decisions that are described on the page for the link project itself.

Last edited:

tractakid

Yorkie, I am very aware of how Wikipedia works. I posted assuming others did too. (IE, having mentioned it was from Wikipedia, to take it with a pinch of salt).

And regarding your nitpick, was my post really unclear and ambiguous? I think the quotation marks I used did a good enough job.

I agree the trial would be silly, it seems like sentimental people want a last ditch attempt at saving Watford Station. It WILL be sad to see it go, but I feel the progress being made is worth the loss.

Tobbes

Established Member
Apparently the Vicarage Road station is now happening? Is this to be an additional station?

Thanks

Tobbes

DXMachina

Vicarage Rd replaces the abandoned station on Tolpits Lane - basically moving the stopping point into an already slightly more densely populated area where major development is due. Also, getting from the Vicarage Rd area to the main station at Watford Jn is a bit of a trek so will be useful for local residents and football fans

In other news there is some preparation going on around the viaduct past Cassio Park already, equipment has been arriving there for the last 2 weeks. Some screening has been put up around it and partly covering the viaduct

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
.......In other news there is some preparation going on around the viaduct past Cassio Park already, equipment has been arriving there for the last 2 weeks. Some screening has been put up around it and partly covering the viaduct
And clearance of the track itself has started:

This is at the rear of Printer's Avenue, behind The Chase nursing home, where there is a footpath running alongside the railway embankment.

DXMachina

In other news there is some preparation going on around the viaduct past Cassio Park already, equipment has been arriving there for the last 2 weeks. Some screening has been put up around it and partly covering the viaduct

It was nothing to do with CRL. They painted the bridge then left. Oh well...

DXMachina

Soil services vehicles were at the site of the new bridge over A412 yesterday 14/11, drilling down for samples with a vehicle-mounted drill of about 15 feet.

In line with project page stating that soil chemistry investigations would take place November this year.

EDIT: They are back today with a bigger drill - perhaps 30ft, mounted on a lorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.