• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cruise ships to be re-routed at Venice

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

This has just been put on the BBC, so if you want to take in this magnificent view while you still can, get your cruise booked! News article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28728841

Italy is going ahead with plans to ban large cruise ships from the centre of Venice to protect the medieval floating city from potential damage.

The government has commissioned an environmental study for an alternative route, which would still satisfy the tourist industry, the lifeblood of Venice.

Here is footage I filmed there two years ago from the MSC Divina:

Time lapse video to Port: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMp8IXPgoek (Easterly view)

Time lapse video from Port: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nw5sHg1qt0 (Westerly view)

Views over Venice from the MSC Divina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc3wUZO09rs (normal speed)

The Port of Venice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrNeeZzIVhQ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Squaddie

About time, too. The damage being caused by these monstrosities to the fragile (and crumbling) architecture is appalling.

The same is happening in Kotor, in Montenegro, where the beautiful old harbour has been ruined by the building of a quayside long enough to accommodate two cruise liners and the old town is overrun by thousands of tourists who probably don't even know which country they're in.

Harbon 1

I also have a timelapse I made last week when we sailed in with Ventura.

Very special being on something that big down the grand canal!

Squaddie

I can't really say that sailing down the Grand Canal peering over the side of a cruise ship along with a few hundred other people would be my ideal way of seeing Venice.

Now, wandering the almost-deserted canals and back-streets on a grey Christmas morning, hand-in-hand with someone special, trousers rolled up and knee-deep in a high tide... that's the way to see Venice. :lol:

blackfive460

Very special being on something that big down the grand canal!

Except that cruise ships don't sail down the Grand Canal. It wouldn't be much of a cruise ship that would fit under the Rialto...

Wandering around, getting lost and Vapporetti will do for me thanks.

Attachments

• 2013-2624.jpg
    2013-2624.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 30

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I can't really say that sailing down the Grand Canal peering over the side of a cruise ship along with a few hundred other people would be my ideal way of seeing Venice.

Cruise ships have never gone down the grand canal , but you do get a great view of St Mark's Square, when you sail in/out. My first sail out was an awesome experience. On the Celebrity Silhouette, cocktail in hand, guitar music playing in the background, and seeing the magnificent architecture as we glided by.

That said, I am in favour of large ships being re-routed due to the environmental damage, but it is a very enjoyable spectacle.

Now, wandering the almost-deserted canals and back-streets on a grey Christmas morning, hand-in-hand with someone special, trousers rolled up and knee-deep in a high tide... that's the way to see Venice. :lol:

I can't disagree with that at all!

TBY-Paul

About time, too. The damage being caused by these monstrosities to the fragile (and crumbling) architecture is appalling.

The same is happening in Kotor, in Montenegro, where the beautiful old harbour has been ruined by the building of a quayside long enough to accommodate two cruise liners and the old town is overrun by thousands of tourists who probably don't even know which country they're in.

Having been to Kotor (Oct 2012), on a cruise ship (Celebrity Solstice), I look at it slightly differently. If it hadn't been on the cruise itinerary I wouldn't have known about the place.

Our cruise called at Cannes, Livorno(for Pisa&Florence), Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice & Dubrovnik. The place we knew least about was Kotor and in all honesty Kotor was one of our favourite ports of call (Our ship anchored off shore, and tendered us across to the harbour). It's a bit of a hidden gem.

It's a bit of a double edged sword, the cruise ships bring some much needed income to the area, but too many, and it loses some of it's quaintness. It's finding a balance and managing that balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.