• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilmc

Try this:

A sad lad ranging around GB may pass through here - although he might use a MCard instead!

neilmc

This is difficult but I think I have it! Cranbrook, near Exeter - for the non-churchgoers, Cranbrook is the music of "Ilkley Moor Baht' At" but was originally sung to "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks" although this is very rarely sung to this tune today, and I only got it because we actually sang the carol to this tune at church as a novelty this year! The Cranbrook pertaining to the music is actually in Kent. I'd better be right after all that ...

Nighthawke

Interesting - not a church-goer but was an organist many years ago but never played or sung it to that tune, although have heard it once or twice.

If Yorkshire hadn't been mentioned then Winchester would have applied to the same carol (being the more familiar tune).

DanTrain

This is difficult but I think I have it! Cranbrook, near Exeter - for the non-churchgoers, Cranbrook is the music of "Ilkley Moor Baht' At" but was originally sung to "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks" although this is very rarely sung to this tune today, and I only got it because we actually sang the carol to this tune at church as a novelty this year! The Cranbrook pertaining to the music is actually in Kent. I'd better be right after all that ...
Indeed so... it’s sung quite a bit round Sheffield area, the other even more cryptic Yorkshire reference! (http://www.localcarols.org.uk/ is an intresting read if you want to know more). While Shephards can be sung to any one of at least 6 different tunes...’Liverpool’ would have been another answer without the Yorkshire refernce!

Your floor :)

neilmc

What happens when you pass the driving test? You can move from a Northern city to a Lincolnshire village!

neilmc

Neither of those. When you pass your driving test what do you LOSE rather than add on?

Nighthawke

Sorry missed your reply until now. Thanks for the confirmation - took me a while!

Can I make this open floor please as I cannot guarantee time to monitor the thread.

Thanks

Calthrop

Established Member
Gawk, maty ! Deep briar... muddlesome parrot's words to his interior-country explorer owner