• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

duncanp

Established Member
Probably "reaching" more than a bit; however -- rabbits, though now reckoned as in the order Lagomorphia, used to be considered rodents; and the orders are closely related. "Rabbit" in German: Kaeninchen. If you're extremely fond of your pet, I suppose you might construct a mini-town for it to live in: so, Kennington (London Underground) ?

It isn't Kennington, nor is the station in London at all.

But you are along the right lines.

Think of a particular rodent, and what you might call somewhere that rodent would live in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm struggling; the German for species names, such as known to me, not seeming to help... an even dafter suggestion: in the cartoon films, the cat is Tom and his enemy the mouse is Jerry -- = "German" -- an eccentric mouse-fan might have a vault in which to keep his mouse Jerry (well, the mouse might like such accommodation...) -- thus, Jervaulx station on the heritage Wensleydale line ? -- this station not, I think, one of the open ones on that line; but cryptic-clue-setters' licence, and all that...

duncanp

Established Member
I'm struggling; the German for species names, such as known to me, not seeming to help... an even dafter suggestion: in the cartoon films, the cat is Tom and his enemy the mouse is Jerry -- = "German" -- an eccentric mouse-fan might have a vault in which to keep his mouse Jerry (well, the mouse might like such accommodation...) -- thus, Jervaulx station on the heritage Wensleydale line ? -- this station not, I think, one of the open ones on that line; but cryptic-clue-setters' licence, and all that...

You don't need to know the German for species names.

You need to take <rodent name> + <dwelling> in English, then consider how that would be spelt in German.

Then you translate that German word back to English you get the answer, which is not on the national rail network.

Calthrop

Established Member
From the above -- I've got an idea; but it doesn't seem to yield any station in the British Isles. Unless -- rat house: German Rathaus = town hall -- London's Mansion House, residence of the city's Lord Mayor: Mansion House station, London Underground; or is that too convoluted?

Edit -- sorry: you said it isn't in London. Ich habe dann keine Ahnung...

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
From the above -- I've got an idea; but it doesn't seem to yield any station in the British Isles. Unless -- rat house: German Rathaus = town hall -- London's Mansion House, residence of the city's Lord Mayor: Mansion House station, London Underground; or is that too convoluted?

Edit -- sorry: you said it isn't in London. Ich habe dann keine Ahnung...

You are getting warmer.

You need to look for <name of rodent> + House.

This sounds like a word in German, which when translated into English means <Answer Station>

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
I still have problems -- suspect that I need a course in "Zoology 101": can think of decidedly few species of rodent (beyond the howlingly obvious, and ineligible) in any language -- none of those I can think of seem to do any good, even with your kind assistance...

duncanp

Established Member
Yes Town Hall on the West Midlands Metro is correct, and for the reasons you state.

Your go.

Calthrop

Established Member
Duh ! I'm not au fait with this-generation trams and Metros -- that's my excuse, anyway...

neilmc

You should have done German O-level Calthrop - I knew what the answer was just not WHERE it was! I'll post the next one later today.

Calthrop

Established Member
You should have done German O-level Calthrop - I knew what the answer was just not WHERE it was! I'll post the next one later today.

Ich habe Deutsch gar auf der Universitaet studiert -- Nagetiere waren aber nicht auf dem Lehrplan ! -- not that any of that helped with the answer (and I live in the flaming West Midlands !) -- kein Problem ebenso...

duncanp

Established Member
No, it is not Pitlochry, but the answer station is in Scotland.

Think of a word which means "small indentations".

When you get that word, you can make an anagram of it to get the answer station.

duncanp

Established Member
This is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

Another clue is that the station is not on the National Rail system now, but there was a station of that name which was closed in the 1960s.

duncanp

Established Member
An alternative clue : A controversial politician, whom many would think is not suitable for canonisation

If there are no takers soon, I'll give the answer and declare an open floor.

duncanp

Established Member
St Enoch (Glasgow Subway) is correct.

The first clue referred to an anagram of Notches , or small indentations.

The second clue referred to the politician Enoch Powell.

Your turn.

Calthrop

Established Member
Annoyed with self: I know the word "notches" -- but racking my brains for "small indentations", totally failed to deliver it...