• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Can come up only with silly suggestions for this one. Had been about to post an extremely silly one, involving Christina's brother Dante Gabriel; but from furnished extra clue, obviously that is right out. Next silly suggestion -- Crossmyloof?? Rossettis in general, even if not specifically Dan or Chris, were poetical; so, her just as an "instance" -- CRS: letters in the name Christina, and in the word "Crossmyloof" -- which has always struck me as an off-beat and rather poetic-sounding, name for a station :s .

Purple Train

Established Member
Can come up only with silly suggestions for this one. Had been about to post an extremely silly one, involving Christina's brother Dante Gabriel; but from furnished extra clue, obviously that is right out. Next silly suggestion -- Crossmyloof?? Rossettis in general, even if not specifically Dan or Chris, were poetical; so, her just as an "instance" -- CRS: letters in the name Christina, and in the word "Crossmyloof" -- which has always struck me as an off-beat and rather poetic-sounding, name for a station :s .
No, Dante Gabriel is the Rossetti in question - I was, in ruling out Christina, not attempting to rule out any of her siblings. That being said, both Dante Gabriel and William Michael Rossetti can be used to arrive at the contracted version (hence "CRS") of the answer station, which is in the north-west. I think I worded the clue badly again - maybe claiming it at 5am was not the best way of combatting insomnia!

DaleCooper

Established Member
No, Dante Gabriel is the Rossetti in question - I was, in ruling out Christina, not attempting to rule out any of her siblings. That being said, both Dante Gabriel and William Michael Rossetti can be used to arrive at the contracted version (hence "CRS") of the answer station, which is in the north-west. I think I worded the clue badly again - maybe claiming it at 5am was not the best way of combatting insomnia!
Prestbury

Purple Train

Established Member
Prestbury
Absolutely.

Prestbury - CRS code PRB, which stands for Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, of which Dante Gabriel Rossetti was a founding member. Fairly sure my clue should have had a "for example" thrown in somewhere, to acknowledge the existence of Millais and Holman Hunt, but what's done is done! Therefore, contract Prestbury - using the "official" contraction, PRB - and get, for instance, Rossetti.

Mr Cooper, all yours.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Absolutely.

Prestbury - CRS code PRB, which stands for Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, of which Dante Gabriel Rossetti was a founding member. Fairly sure my clue should have had a "for example" thrown in somewhere, to acknowledge the existence of Millais and Holman Hunt, but what's done is done! Therefore, contract Prestbury - using the "official" contraction, PRB - and get, for instance, Rossetti.

Mr Cooper, all yours.
Thank you.

Next clue:

It's said Mr Frey and others like him meet here.