• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Calthrop

Established Member
My thanks.

We might hear: with Mungo, 18th-century explorer in Africa, trying his hand at penguin identification -- his being corrected by an ornithologist who actually knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Park Royal? It's easy to get your King and Emperor penguins mixed up and need a bit of help, especially if like Mungo you spent most of your time in places like the Niger River, where such birds might be a bit of a rarity.

Calthrop

Established Member
Basically on the right track, incl. re "Park"; but, penguin species concerned -- forget regal / imperial potentates: named after a commoner.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Adderley Park it is -- the Adelie penguin and the parts of Antarctica which it inhabits, having been named after his wife by the French explorer Jules Dumont d'Urville circa 1840. @neilmc: your go.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you, kind sir. Me to go, I take it...

This station would seem to imply that Maggie's media guy/booster, was a tedious fellow.

Calthrop

Established Member
Admittedly being facetious, here -- Lisburn, Northern Ireland Railways? On Her Maj.'s visit to the town, uncomplimentary stuff shouted loudly by the anti-Brit element: Liz's ears burned ...

Calthrop

Established Member
Good grief -- with apologies to the good citizens of Dolau; I'd imagined that it was like Sugar Loaf on that line: not actually "a place" at all ...

Calthrop

Established Member
It certainly is, poor person. Over to you.
My thanks !

Another thing which one might hear: this to do with people and their companion / conveyance creatures. I.e. the telling about -- concerning Edward and his beast in this category -- a matter which could get him into trouble with the RSPCA.