• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Calthrop

Established Member
As you've had a go I'll give another hint: Synonym
Its not being a National Rail station, is giving me gyp. I consulted a Glasgow Subway map -- no joy there, that I could perceive. If modern "second-generation" tram systems are involved, I'm utterly at sea.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Potentially sexist statement -- we'd hear -- concerning wisdom / knowledge or lack thereof, on the part of monarchs: would displease a renowned tragic queen who spent time in the place's vicinity.

Calthrop

Established Member
Alternative clue:

Sadly, "wars and rumours of wars" involving Russia, and close-by European countries, are nothing new. Confecting a scenario of one such, "a century or several" in the past; and imagining a fictional settlement with a Russian-ish name: one could muse on a military advisor to the boss-man of a participant nation in such a conflict, saying -- I recommend that we sack Ingsk now, Excellency.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Alternative clue:

Sadly, "wars and rumours of wars" involving Russia, and close-by European countries, are nothing new. Confecting a scenario of one such, "a century or several" in the past; and imagining a fictional settlement with a Russian-ish name: one could muse on a military advisor to the boss-man of a participant nation in such a conflict, saying -- I recommend that we sack Ingsk now, Excellency.
Kingsknowe

Calthrop

Established Member
Good old run-on words ! Kingsknowe it is -- your turn.

My original clue -- name could be parlayed into "kings know" (implying that queens don't, because they're only women); said station is near Edinburgh, scene of part of the life of Mary Queen of Scots -- who I figure you were thinking of with "Dunmurry".

DaleCooper

Established Member
Good old run-on words ! Kingsknowe it is -- your turn.

My original clue -- name could be parlayed into "kings know" (implying that queens don't, because they're only women); said station is near Edinburgh, scene of part of the life of Mary Queen of Scots -- who I figure you were thinking of with "Dunmurry".
Thank you.

Next clue:

Wherein fickle Andy Dodwell abandoned Donald Wylde and wed Lloyd Askew.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm rather hogging things at present; but find self at a loose end; so begging people's kind indulgence --

Suggestive -- we hear -- of a tedious and unpleasant task to which were assigned, in the past, people detained at His/Her Majesty's pleasure.