• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Calthrop

Established Member
Teds + Brio + (Bridge of) Allan = Llanbister Road

Although it really needs another "R".

You're mentally pretty much on the right track (and exercising great ingenuity); but none of your references are right; and, the clue doesn't involve an anagram.

If this helps any: "my third" (as the riddlers say) is a three-letter word: which -- all on the far side of Inverness -- makes part of the name of a railway station; and also part of the name of a geographical feature about fifty miles north-east of that station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
If this helps any: "my third" (as the riddlers say) is a three-letter word: which -- all on the far side of Inverness -- makes part of the name of a railway station; and also part of the name of a geographical feature about fifty miles north-east of that station.

I'm working on the basis that this refers to Muir of Ord and The Ord of Caithness. Am I right so far?

Calthrop

Established Member
Guildford

Guild = an association of people
F = Forte (in music)
Ord

You're right with items 2 and 3; but not with item 1 (though it is indeed five letters). It is specifically a slang-ish term from the World War I era, for languid young men-about-town in those days.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Forte in music indicates loud, the term for vigorous is usually brio or possibly vivo which is why I've dismissed all those stations ending "...ford".

duncanp

Established Member
Wallyford?

given that Wally is a slang term for someone who is a bit useless.

Calthrop

Established Member
It's in London and served by Southeastern --

Stratford International?

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm just not seeing it, I'm afraid. For certain, will kick self when the answer is revealed :( .

duncanp

Established Member
Hither Green? which is not quite an anagram of Greenhithe

Last edited: