• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
My thanks.

Beige information letter some 75% through (or female of species) -- unconventional terminal.

RDP

It is indeed an unconventional terminal being on a loop. Dungeness was also my old stamping ground.

Open floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
We might hear canine snobs vying with each other, concerning value of their respective residences...

Calthrop

Established Member
Indeed -- what's their kennel worth?

It's your prestigious pet-pad to allude to...

Calthrop

Established Member
Duolingual and abbreviated farewell bidden to his sylph-like sovereign by Columbus, confused -- has. la v., lean Ferdinand [first bit, short for "hasta la vista"] prior to his sailing off (northward rather than westward?)

Columbus may have been very confused, as the sylph-like monarch was surely Ferdy's spouse, the delightful Isabella, who gave her name to a pit not far from the soon-to-be-operational Blyth Newsham

Easier than straining what passes for my brain with Hard Anagrams, anyway.

Calthrop

Established Member
Columbus may have been very confused, as the sylph-like monarch was surely Ferdy's spouse, the delightful Isabella, who gave her name to a pit not far from the soon-to-be-operational Blyth Newsham
Conversation rather than clue-solving, I ween -- answer is veritably, not Blyth thingy (a completely new one on me -- but I'm often not too good on present-day UK rail system matters).

Brought to mind, the verse by Ogden Nash about old Chris and the havoc which he set in train -- in Nash's characteristic rhyming-but-metre-less style -- a few lines, approximately remembered: the explorer is trying to get funds for his venture --

So he went to see Ferdinand
Who said, however, that going west to get to the Indies was a bird in the bush, and he'd rather have a birdinand...

So CC decides to try instead, to charm the queen in search of support --

So he perfumed his hair with bay rum and citronella,
And he went off to see Isabella...

I like this kind of stuff, which Nash turned out in profusion -- splendidly corny nonsense.

Calthrop

Established Member
Reckoning that people may be somewhat fed-up with barmy anagrams from me: herewith alternative clue --

We might hear -- Princess Royal, owning bosky hollow: also offers same as a guaranteed "pitch" for travelling entourages of fun rides, sideshows, and such things.

Calthrop

Established Member
Rather ridiculous one, just to submit something -- Bamber Bridge? Might have been good for the scorers of goals -- "Bamb !" as ball goes in -- thus, "Bamb-ers"; only as stated, they prefer the card game of Bridge.