• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbria Council submits bid for Windermere improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Looking at old OS maps, I would concur, but as you say, what's now the (Northbound) mainline platform appears to be much shorter than is the case at present. Do you know when the station /track layout was subsequently re-modelled?
Presumably when Carlisle PSB took over in the 70s with Electrification, to simplify the junctions for wiring.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Looking at old OS maps, I would concur, but as you say, what's now the (Northbound) mainline platform appears to be much shorter than is the case at present. Do you know when the station /track layout was subsequently re-modelled?
I think they singled the branch in 1973 and extended the platform to eliminate the need to 'draw up' express trains heading towards Glasgow. I have seen photos of it and there was a significant change in gradient across towards the branch.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve just separated a load of stuff into the new thread below. If we could keep this on the original topic now that would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.