• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Curious Ticket Old Street - Stevenage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

This morning I needed to travel from Old Street to Stevenage and return. Having checked on NRE and BRFares before hand, the cheapest ticket is the Super Off Peak Day Return for £7.75 (with a railcard). At Old Street Station I used the LU ticket machines to purchase the ticket, and it came up as £7.70. I've had a look around on BRFares and on NRE to try and find where this price comes from but can find no reference to it. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?IMG_20180127_121920345.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleepy

Established Member
Seem to remember someone on here ages ago said LU TIS rounding down when applying railcard discounts ?

Joe Paxton

Established Member
LU TVMs (that take cash) don't accept 5 pence pieces, and haven't done so for ages.

That may be why fares ending with 5p get rounded down.

paddington

LU TVMs (that take cash) don't accept 5 pence pieces, and haven't done so for ages.

That may be why fares ending with 5p get rounded down.

I thought that M next to the amount means it was paid by cash, but this ticket states C and I don't know what that refers to.

If paying by card the exact fare could still be charged though.

The software can deal with odd pennies, as refunding an Oyster card that has a balance not ending in 0 will be rounded up to the nearest 10p!

If wanting to pay £7.75 in cash, it could just issue the ticket after £7.70 has been inserted, and give 10p change if £7.80 is inserted, etc. Similar to New Zealand supermarket self-checkouts, as they got rid of 5c coins in 2006 while still pricing things to the cent (though 5c is rounded up in that country).

jnjkerbin

The ticket was indeed paid for by card, but seeing as the price is displayed on the screen before you choose your payment method, I suppose they just charge everyone the same! Thanks very much for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.