• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Current Arriva Driver roster - New Cross Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingerWill

Hi guys, I should begin my training soon as a driver for Arriva in the NXG depot, I'm used to shift work however I only have ever worked earlies. How does an Arriva roster work please? Would i do a week of earlies, then middles then lates? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kse

Generally do a week of earlies then mids then lates, sometimes 2 weeks in a row, all depends on the link you join. Worst case if you don't like your shift just switch it with someone aslong as it doesn't break Hidden.

Saying that, you could be on a week of earlies but get marked up to something later, just depends bud.

GingerWill

Appreciate the reply, do you know well beforehand if your shifts do get changed? Also is it one weekend off, one weekend on?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Each depot will be very different in how the rotation of shifts will work. It won't be a week though - there will be sometimes random RDs here and there. There are some LO drivers around here who might be able to help with a private message with details for New Cross Gate or another depot.

There's also a long thread here about LO vacancies which may have some detail you're after: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...er-harlesden-and-se-london-24-02-2021.214563/

Kse

Appreciate the reply, do you know well beforehand if your shifts do get changed? Also is it one weekend off, one weekend on?
Depends what link/roster pattern you're on bud. There's 4 links to choose from but I can only speak on mine where I do 2 weekends on 2 weekends off.

In regards to shift changes, on a spare turn where you've been 'marked up' you'll generally know a minimum a week before hand what your shift will be if its not a 'black ink turn'. Subject to change again 48hrs before the shift if rostering needed to change the shift again (which happens less frequently). *black ink turns can't be changed, spares can via mark ups*

May aswell wait for training to start then they'll get an easier understanding or how things work, alot easier when you can see it visually and understand certain terminology.

whoosh

Established Member
@GingerWill

I *think* these are both New Cross Gate rosters from a few years ago. Certainly the duty numbers being in the 5xx series fits.

As said above, you might get to choose which one suits you better. One is a 'true four day week' with three rest days every week, and one is an 'average four day week' with a different number of rest days in each week, but some grouped into longer periods of time off and averaging out over the roster as the same number of days off still.
The maximum duty length is now 9h15 I believe, not the 9h30 shown and it's now an average 34 hour working week.

Where it says 'SP' it means you are 'Spare' and can be allocated an uncovered duty (someone's sick, or on holiday, or has a medical etc.) that starts within + or - so many hours of the Spare shift start time. At most TOCs it's 2 or 3 hours, but I don't know what it is at London Overground.
At my TOC it's a 2-hour movement, so if it says 06:00 SP on my roster I can be given a duty that starts between 04:00 and 08:00.

Hope that makes sense.

Unfortunately they aren't the sharpest of pictures, but will hopefully give you an idea about the rest day pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_4748.JPG
    IMG_4748.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_20190704-100418_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190704-100418_Gallery.jpg
    943.3 KB · Views: 176

GingerWill

Depends what link/roster pattern you're on bud. There's 4 links to choose from but I can only speak on mine where I do 2 weekends on 2 weekends off.

In regards to shift changes, on a spare turn where you've been 'marked up' you'll generally know a minimum a week before hand what your shift will be if its not a 'black ink turn'. Subject to change again 48hrs before the shift if rostering needed to change the shift again (which happens less frequently). *black ink turns can't be changed, spares can via mark ups*

May aswell wait for training to start then they'll get an easier understanding or how things work, alot easier when you can see it visually and understand certain terminology.
thanks for your help mate

@GingerWill

I *think* these are both New Cross Gate rosters from a few years ago. Certainly the duty numbers being in the 5xx series fits.

As said above, you might get to choose which one suits you better. One is a 'true four day week' with three rest days every week, and one is an 'average four day week' with a different number of rest days in each week, but some grouped into longer periods of time off and averaging out over the roster as the same number of days off still.
The maximum duty length is now 9h15 I believe, not the 9h30 shown and it's now an average 34 hour working week.

Where it says 'SP' it means you are 'Spare' and can be allocated an uncovered duty (someone's sick, or on holiday, or has a medical etc.) that starts within + or - so many hours of the Spare shift start time. At most TOCs it's 2 or 3 hours, but I don't know what it is at London Overground.
At my TOC it's a 2-hour movement, so if it says 06:00 SP on my roster I can be given a duty that starts between 04:00 and 08:00.

Hope that makes sense.

Unfortunately they aren't the sharpest of pictures, but will hopefully give you an idea about the rest day pattern.
Massively helpful mate, appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.