• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customer Host (Newbie post - advice appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoppyPoodle

This is my first post here as I had a call on Friday to say that I had been successful following an assessment day and interview (in Penzance) for a customer host position. I am now in a pool of people waiting for a start date. Could someone please let me know what happens after the call to say that you've been accepted (should I get an email/letter in confirmation/invite for drug testing) and how long did people have to wait between being accepted for a similar role and getting a start date (if it's likely to be a long delay I'm thinking of changing my job in the interim). Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChugaChooChoo

Congratulations Poppy, you must be thrilled

Have they told you you're going into a Talent Pool?

I have an interview in April for the Customer Host position in Swansea, but it says it's to create a Talent Pool.
I'm not sure if successful, how long a wait it would be too start. Like you, I think I would consider a temporary job in the interim.

How did you find the Assessment Day and Interview?
Any tips? I'm so excited for it!!

PoppyPoodle

Hi - yes, well pleased :D....and I am in a talent pool. My post here was to really find out how long people had to wait for a start date... I'm hoping it's not as long as 6 months (or that they decide that they've got enough people and I end up being surplus to requirements (if that can happen??)...urghhh)!

I found the assessment day fairly straightforward. There were three exercises in the morning: a flip chart one, a listening test (practice taking notes fast) and a larger group discussion to see how well you process information and negotiate with others. I think the key is just to be yourself so that they can see your true personality - whilst making sure that you are visible (tricky if you are naturally an introvert) - without being too pushy. After a break there was an X-Factor moment when they divided the candidates and kept 5 of the 12 back for interviews. The interview centred around mainly customer service competency based questions -'Tell me about a time you had to do'... what did you do, what was the outcome? etc. At no time in the process was anyone other than completely friendly and trying to put you at ease.

Try to relax and 'enjoy' it - good luck

kadmus

I had to turn down the invitation for an assessment next month due to a mandatory training day at work. Hopefully I will be invited for another date soon.

EllaBow

Hi PoppyPoodle,

I am in the same situation as you (different location), I’m so excited and keen to start. But no information for you! I’m so worried the 6 months will pass and I won’t get a position. Although a few other interviewees said that they were told the pool can be extended if it exceeds the 6 month mark. I don’t think that’ll happen though, GWR are changing the CH role and taking on more HST’s so I think this could possibly be why they’re taking on more CH’s. But I’m nervous because I’ve been ‘on hold’ before. I interviewed for a Service Delivery role a few years back, there was only one role and unfortunately I didn’t pass the interview but they kept me on hold just in case something came up in the next 6 months. This time they are expecting the roles to come up so I’m being cautiously optimistic!!

NoOnesFool

This is my first post here as I had a call on Friday to say that I had been successful following an assessment day and interview (in Penzance) for a customer host position. I am now in a pool of people waiting for a start date. Could someone please let me know what happens after the call to say that you've been accepted (should I get an email/letter in confirmation/invite for drug testing) and how long did people have to wait between being accepted for a similar role and getting a start date (if it's likely to be a long delay I'm thinking of changing my job in the interim). Thanks in advance.
I got my start date almost instantly. You will have an induction day at the Service Centre where you will be told of all company policies and then you will go out on the trolley with a trainer for around 4-7 days, then a decision will be made between you and your team leader as to if you are ready to go live.

Established Member
I got my start date almost instantly. You will have an induction day at the Service Centre where you will be told of all company policies and then you will go out on the trolley with a trainer for around 4-7 days, then a decision will be made between you and your team leader as to if you are ready to go live.
You won't go anywhere near a service centre for a GWR job...

Established Member
Just a heads up, if you're in the talent pool you are NOT guaranteed a job!

Although with the IETs additional staff are required.

EllaBow

Just a heads up, if you're in the talent pool you are NOT guaranteed a job!

Although with the IETs additional staff are required.

Well of course, I know very well that that’s the way these pools go unfortunately. The email they send confirming successful assessment and interview painfully confirms the terms of the pool. Nothing wrong with being optimistic though, eh?

KevinF

Yeah this is what happened to me too! I along with 4 others were successful through the assessment day and then was offered an interview. I then had my interview and was told that if i was successful I would hear by the following monday afternoon. To my surprise I got a call sooner than that, and was told i had been successful in my interview. I was assured that places were being offered in a few weeks once the vacancies arise.
Surely they would not put you through all of this to finally then not offer you a position. I feel quite confident that they will be in touch, for both of our sake.

Jazzy@1

Yeah this is what happened to me too! I along with 4 others were successful through the assessment day and then was offered an interview. I then had my interview and was told that if i was successful I would hear by the following monday afternoon. To my surprise I got a call sooner than that, and was told i had been successful in my interview. I was assured that places were being offered in a few weeks once the vacancies arise.
Surely they would not put you through all of this to finally then not offer you a position. I feel quite confident that they will be in touch, for both of our sake.
Hey Kevin,
I'm in a similar position to yours. Which station did you apply for ? Have you had a confirmation email from them yet to explain anything ?

KevinF

I
Hey Kevin,
I'm in a similar position to yours. Which station did you apply for ? Have you had a confirmation email from them yet to explain anything ?
I applied for the swansea role and was told just over a week ago I was successful but they were not certain of a start date, i am still waiting on edge and praying for a phone call soon.

Danny_H22

I’m going to piggyback on this thread to save starting a new one.

I applied for the customer host role after applying for the trainee driver role as my application was saved so I figured I might as well. They have since contacted me to invite me to the assessment centre for the CH job, but I have a few questions first.

- weekend work. I’m under the impression that Sunday’s are due to become part of the working week shortly, and naturally I expect there to be a large portion of compulsory weekend shifts. But is it pot luck as to how frequently you work a weekend or is there a set schedule IE X weekends on, Y weekends off?

- daily role. Can someone give me a brief rundown of the tasks involved in a daily shift?

- start and finish times. What times do the early shifts begin and late shifts end? And is there a pattern to what type of shifts you’ll get?

- overtime. How’s the frequency of available OT looking?

- pros and cons. Can anyone who currently does the role with GWR give me a quick overview of what they enjoy and don’t?

Thanks guys. Sorry for the questions, just have to make sure it’s right for me before I waste anyone’s time at the assessment

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I’m going to piggyback on this thread to save starting a new one.

I applied for the customer host role after applying for the trainee driver role as my application was saved so I figured I might as well. They have since contacted me to invite me to the assessment centre for the CH job, but I have a few questions first.

- weekend work. I’m under the impression that Sunday’s are due to become part of the working week shortly, and naturally I expect there to be a large portion of compulsory weekend shifts. But is it pot luck as to how frequently you work a weekend or is there a set schedule IE X weekends on, Y weekends off?

- daily role. Can someone give me a brief rundown of the tasks involved in a daily shift?

- start and finish times. What times do the early shifts begin and late shifts end? And is there a pattern to what type of shifts you’ll get?

- overtime. How’s the frequency of available OT looking?

- pros and cons. Can anyone who currently does the role with GWR give me a quick overview of what they enjoy and don’t?

Thanks guys. Sorry for the questions, just have to make sure it’s right for me before I waste anyone’s time at the assessment

A lot of what you've asked is depot specific, so can you enlighten us as to which?

Jazzy@1

I

I applied for the swansea role and was told just over a week ago I was successful but they were not certain of a start date, i am still waiting on edge and praying for a phone call soon.
Me too, im in exactly the same position as you for swansea. I was told I passed the interview stage. I am hoping they contact me soon with a job offer.

KevinF

Me too, im in exactly the same position as you for swansea. I was told I passed the interview stage. I am hoping they contact me soon with a job offer.

I am hoping too it is relatively soon! I have no idea how many others passed the interview. How many out of your group were offered interviews? They must be planning to have a great deal of CH's due to the expansion of their fleet by the end of the year!

Jazzy@1

I am hoping too it is relatively soon! I have no idea how many others passed the interview. How many out of your group were offered interviews? They must be planning to have a great deal of CH's due to the expansion of their fleet by the end of the year!
2 of us had an interview, the other girls has had a job offer. I have no idea how many they interviewed either. Or if being in the pool we will actually get a job. But I hope so

Trainstrains

Were you guys at the Swansea Assessment day on April 16th?

I

2 of us had an interview, the other girls has had a job offer. I have no idea how many they interviewed either. Or if being in the pool we will actually get a job. But I hope so

KevinF

Have you heard anything yet?? I'm actually quite anxious to get in touch with them to get find out but i'm not sure

EllaBow

Hiya, I’m starting my new position soon after being in the pool. Interviewed in February (not in Swansea though) and was told I was successful a few days later. Two of us were successful from our assessment session. I got a call with an official job offer the day after Easter Monday. The other person got their offer a few weeks ago! Hope this is helpful. I would totally recommend ringing for an update, they were really nice when I did. Hang in there

Jazzy@1

Have you heard anything yet?? I'm actually quite anxious to get in touch with them to get find out but i'm not sure
Hi Kevin, no not heard. They are interviewing more people at the end of the month too . Someone I know ask me about the assessment day .

KevinF

Have you called them ?
Yeah I called them and had nothing back. I even resorted to texting the woman that told me i passed the interview but had no reply. I only did that out of desperation because there are redundancies taking place where i work now and could be out of a job by next friday. Do you think it was unprofessional of me to send a text direct? It was in a very professional format may I add but I just didn't want it to affect my place that's all.

pops123

Amazing! Have they sent you all the details to get your checks etc complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.