• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customer Host shifts and overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainstrains

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what the shift patterns are for a Customer Host with GWR please?

Also, is there plenty of overtime avaiable and is it paid at single time?

Thank you in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rammstein

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what the shift patterns are for a Customer Host with GWR please?

Also, is there plenty of overtime avaiable and is it paid at single time?

Thank you in advance :)
It depends on the depot to be honest so I couldn't tell you exactly, but my earliest shift was 0330 to around midday and my latest was 1700 to around half two in the morning. Overtime is always readily available and I found even if I wasn't "given" an overtime shift I could ring up and ask if anything was going which they tended to appreciate! Overtime is payed at 1.25.
Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need anything else. :)

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Quite a few changes happening currently, with the the FSL+ Sunday inside restructuring. There should be a decent amount of overtime available, however, with such a large recruitment drive, it may dry up in time.

Trainstrains

Would you both say you're happy in your roles?
I would hate to leave a secure job and regret my decision to become a Customer Host!

Trainstrains

It depends on the depot to be honest so I couldn't tell you exactly, but my earliest shift was 0330 to around midday and my latest was 1700 to around half two in the morning. Overtime is always readily available and I found even if I wasn't "given" an overtime shift I could ring up and ask if anything was going which they tended to appreciate! Overtime is payed at 1.25.
Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need anything else. :)

Hi Rammstein
Thanks for this
How are the shifts worked out in terms of mixing them up?
For instance if you were on a 17-2.30am, would you be put on a 3.30am start that week, or do they tend to keep you on the same shifts all week?

Trainstrains

Quite a few changes happening currently, with the the FSL+ Sunday inside restructuring. There should be a decent amount of overtime available, however, with such a large recruitment drive, it may dry up in time.

Sorry Taff, what's the FSL?
I'm a complete newbie

Rammstein

Hi Rammstein
Thanks for this
How are the shifts worked out in terms of mixing them up?
For instance if you were on a 17-2.30am, would you be put on a 3.30am start that week, or do they tend to keep you on the same shifts all week?
Hi there!
Shifts are kept roughly the same during the week, you HAVE to have 12 hours rest between shifts so that's how they work it out. However I've had occasions where I've been on earlies Monday to Wednesday and then Thursday I've been on a late which mucks your body clock about a bit!
FSL stands for Front Set Lead which is what they call the Hosts that are in place of the competent person on the front set of a ten car IET. Basically you're a stand in for the TM in any problematic situations because they can't walk through the train, but they're still in charge and contactable via the intercom etc. FSL get overtime for the shift that they are in that position which is great if they ask you to cover between Reading and Pad while on a ten hour shift, for example, because you'll get overtime for the whole ten hours!
FSLs are also the point of contact between the passengers and TMs, so need to regularly walk through and answer any questions etc, and just generally be visible.
And in answer to your other question I loved it! I would've happily stayed in that role, but I got the opportunity to go for driver. If you like chatting and being around people it's perfect and overall it's a very easy job for what we get paid, although you are getting paid for when it goes wrong - it's important to remember that when you've been stranded for 2 hours in the snow, hot water is running low, and of course it's all your fault because you're in uniform!

Also it is a very good foot in the door to other roles on the railway, I went straight to driver, I know multiple who have gone straight to management, and others have gone to various planning and maintenance roles etc. and of course many go onto guard or TM. I'm trying to get my younger brother to apply because I wish I'd done it sooner!

Trainstrains

Hi there!
Shifts are kept roughly the same during the week, you HAVE to have 12 hours rest between shifts so that's how they work it out. However I've had occasions where I've been on earlies Monday to Wednesday and then Thursday I've been on a late which mucks your body clock about a bit!
FSL stands for Front Set Lead which is what they call the Hosts that are in place of the competent person on the front set of a ten car IET. Basically you're a stand in for the TM in any problematic situations because they can't walk through the train, but they're still in charge and contactable via the intercom etc. FSL get overtime for the shift that they are in that position which is great if they ask you to cover between Reading and Pad while on a ten hour shift, for example, because you'll get overtime for the whole ten hours!
FSLs are also the point of contact between the passengers and TMs, so need to regularly walk through and answer any questions etc, and just generally be visible.
And in answer to your other question I loved it! I would've happily stayed in that role, but I got the opportunity to go for driver. If you like chatting and being around people it's perfect and overall it's a very easy job for what we get paid, although you are getting paid for when it goes wrong - it's important to remember that when you've been stranded for 2 hours in the snow, hot water is running low, and of course it's all your fault because you're in uniform!

Also it is a very good foot in the door to other roles on the railway, I went straight to driver, I know multiple who have gone straight to management, and others have gone to various planning and maintenance roles etc. and of course many go onto guard or TM. I'm trying to get my younger brother to apply because I wish I'd done it sooner!

Hi Rammestein

Thank you for this detailed reply, it really is a great help.
I would definitely have my eye on progression in the future, to that is great to read!

I have my final interview coming up soon :)

Clipper747

Hi all. I’m new to the forum. I have just completed my second online assessment for train host with GWR based in Paddington and now waiting for the outcome.

I had a few question and was looking to see if someone can help me out with the answers.

1) As a train host based in Paddington what would be the average working hours per week?

2) How many days per week will I be working I.e. 4/5

3) What routes will I be on if I’m Paddington based.

Many Thanks in advance.

Clipper747

Hi all. I’m new to the forum. I have just completed my second online assessment for train host with GWR based in Paddington and now waiting for the outcome.

I had a few question and was looking to see if someone can help me out with the answers.

1) As a train host based in Paddington what would be the average working hours per week?

2) How many days per week will I be working I.e. 4/5

3) What routes will I be on if I’m Paddington based.

Many Thanks in advance.
Hi Again all

Just to update. I am now through to the assessment stage and that’s coming up in a few weeks. Like others here I am very worried and concerned about what to expect on the day.

What I’m more worried and concerned about (without sounding stupid) is actually getting the job. Iv been self employed for so long now I don’t know how I’ll manage or cope with a full contract job. My main concern is the weekly shift pattern as in how many days on and how many days off. The daily shift times don’t bother me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.